Quantcast

Defrag Tools

I schedule this:

@echo off
rem
rem Defragments logical drive specified by single parameter. Peters, 2007-09-21.
rem
set LOG_PATH="Defragment %1.log"
set COMMAND_LINE=%windir%\SYSTEM32\defrag.exe %1:
set MESSAGE_SUFFIX= defragmentation of %1: with command %COMMAND_LINE%."
set MESSAGE_START="Starting%MESSAGE_SUFFIX%
eventcreate /T INFORMATION /SO "Defragmenter" /L APPLICATION /ID 314 /D %MESSAGE_START%
%COMMAND_LINE% >> %LOG_PATH%
set MESSAGE_FINISH="Finished%MESSAGE_SUFFIX%
eventcreate /T INFORMATION /SO "Defragmenter" /L APPLICATION /ID 315 /D %MESSAGE_FINISH%

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Actually the Windows defrag tool is about as mediocre as defrag tools get. It defragments files okay and attempts to generally group things but it leaves large chunks of empty space, won't touch system files, doesn't move files that it considers to be "close enough" and has no configuration options which can actually make a big difference in how the drive is organized and hence how fast it is.

I haven't used a lot of freeware tools, though, so I don't have a lot of suggestions.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
If by that you mean it keeps the hard drive defragmented just fine, then...yes.
As useless as tits on a bull....an ashtray on a motorbike....a screen door on a submarine.....you see where I'm going.
Actually the Windows defrag tool is about as mediocre as defrag tools get. It defragments files okay and attempts to generally group things but it leaves large chunks of empty space, won't touch system files, doesn't move files that it considers to be "close enough" and has no configuration options which can actually make a big difference in how the drive is organized and hence how fast it is.

I haven't used a lot of freeware tools, though, so I don't have a lot of suggestions.
That's what I'd heard too. Can I take your last sentence to mean you have actually bought special software to do it or you don't bother with it?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's what I'd heard too. Can I take your last sentence to mean you have actually bought special software to do it or you don't bother with it?
I tried O&O Defrag and it seemed to be an excellent program, very customizable, very thorough. I didn't end up buying it when the trial expired, though - I'm pretty cheap when it comes to software, would rather find a free solution.

Try this and tell me how it works for you:

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

By the same guys that made CCleaner.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i just finally ran Defraggler completely and so far im noticing a big difference on my laptop.
it seems most of my HDD was fragged/fvcked: 344,141total/3,159 files=32.4gb.
now it shows no fragmented files. it only took about 6-7 hours.

i ran it on my desktop which had 504,712total/5,667 files=45.4gb fragged/fvcked and it made it to 2% over 9 hours....not too happy bout that one. i guess i can just reformat that drive