Quantcast

Deity Compound plastic pedals

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
here's an iteration now stocking in vancouver (nrg is a canadian parts distributor; stamped as a house brand). have to get me some:

listed at 234g a pair...

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I may already have a pair of these. They may be significantly lighter than my atomic pedals (duh). They might feel very well built but a bit convex compared to completely flat. No ride time yet, if I had them. The green may look very nice against my raw sunday.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a few races on my ht versions... They're great. Lots of grip with five tens, no noticeable slip due to plastic, and they spin fine. Seems like a great product.

Jul 14, 2011
Dear Mr.deitybikeco
I purchased your pedals 5 rides and 5 failures. The end caps keep backing out now one is history fell out on the way home from the bike shop after getting one out of there display pedals! I am ready to epoxy these stupid things in? Everytime they back out the DU part of the pedal starts riding on the spindle taper probably not good? Now it seems the RH bearing is going bad..feels notchy like its failing? Any suggestions I love the way they feel but if I cant trust them they are gone!

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Dear Mr. bullettoothtony:

You obviously hit something with the end of the pedal that has the top cap off in your picture. Don't ride plastic pedals if you're going to hit things. They are plastic. The threads are also plastic. Which is made of plastic. And more plastic.

Jul 14, 2011
Dear Mr. bullettoothtony:

You obviously hit something with the end of the pedal that has the top cap off in your picture. Don't ride plastic pedals if you're going to hit things. They are plastic. The threads are also plastic. Which is made of plastic. And more plastic.
No way they are plastic with plastic threads...no ****...maybe that's why you can't wrench on the caps tight enough to keep them from working loose dumbass!

Actually NO I did not hit anything BEFORE the cap fell off.
It was not until the caps loosened for the 4th time while riding I was looking down to see WTF was wrong with my crank/pedals when I skimmed a bank... A DIRT BANK! If these cant take f*!king scrathes then they are POS.
I then went to LBS got a new cap and it fell out and its never just one cap its both the inner and outer never just one pedal either.

I epoxied them tonight hopefully that cures it if not they will be $50 paper weights

My questions were not directed to you so kindly keep your comments to yourself.

Last edited:

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
No way they are plastic with plastic threads...no ****...maybe that's why you can't wrench on the caps tight enough to keep them from working loose dumbass!

It was not until the caps loosened for the 4th time while riding I was looking down to see WTF was wrong with my crank/pedals when I skimmed a bank... A DIRT BANK! If these cant take f*!king scrathes then they are POS.
I then went to LBS got a new cap and it fell out and its never just one cap its both.

I epoxied them tonight hopefully that cures it if not they will be $50 paper weights

Damn, that's some serious E mo fuggin rage

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I then went to LBS got a new cap and it fell out and its never just one cap its both the inner and outer never just one pedal either.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Dear Mr.deitybikeco
I purchased your pedals 5 rides and 5 failures. The end caps keep backing out now one is history fell out on the way home from the bike shop after getting one out of there display pedals! I am ready to epoxy these stupid things in? Everytime they back out the DU part of the pedal starts riding on the spindle taper probably not good? Now it seems the RH bearing is going bad..feels notchy like its failing? Any suggestions I love the way they feel but if I cant trust them they are gone!

did you try cleaning the threads extremely well and using loc tite?

Jul 14, 2011
Damn, that's some serious E mo fuggin rage
Nope just hate forums.. came on cuz I saw Diety had posted about these pedals..I asked them a question hoping they have a fix... then Bobby Booshay had to chime in with some DDDumbass remark... errr its plastic with plastic and more plastic..REALLY I thought they were f*!kin Inconel/Titanium and could hit mach 3.2

Jul 14, 2011
did you try cleaning the threads extremely well and using loc tite?
Yep but they only had blue loctite... it didn't work I was going to get red loctite but just got epoxy for joining aluminum to carbon instead should keep them in place for good hopefully they never need regreased/replaced prolly pull the threads out with the caps now

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Nope just hate forums.. came on cuz I saw Diety had posted about these pedals..I asked them a question hoping they have a fix... then Bobby Booshay had to chime in with some DDDumbass remark... errr its plastic with plastic and more plastic..REALLY I thought they were f*!kin Inconel/Titanium and could hit mach 3.2
at first i felt bad for you because i figured you didn't know what loc tite is, but then i realized you're just agro...do me a favor, reach down and give that white string between your legs a little tug.....you need to burn off some steam man.....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That sucks dude. I have the HT pedals and haven't had a single problem with them even with a low BB and just about as much riding time. It looks like deity may have changed the pedal end caps or at least have different ones than the factory version (mine have no laser etching). Maybe there's a bad batch of end caps or pedal bodies. Try posting on their facebook page, companies seem to eat that right up.

Good luck, I haven't been disappointed with my HTs yet.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That sucks dude. I have the HT pedals and haven't had a single problem with them even with a low BB and just about as much riding time. It looks like deity may have changed the pedal end caps or at least have different ones than the factory version (mine have no laser etching). Maybe there's a bad batch of end caps or pedal bodies. Try posting on their facebook page, companies seem to eat that right up.

Good luck, I haven't been disappointed with my HTs yet.
Anyone notice that on the Diety website it, there is note at the bottom of the page that reads,
Tip: Make sure to fully tighten every pin before your first ride!
Not that this has anything to do with TommyGunTillyNillyTony's issue, but really? Does Diety just get the re-branded shipments from Asia and throw the boxes in inventory without doing any sort of QC? I would have thought by 2011 we would have gotten to the point where we didn't need to make sure that our bike parts were assembled correctly.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Not that this has anything to do with TommyGunTillyNillyTony's issue, but really? Does Diety just get the re-branded shipments from Asia and throw the boxes in inventory without doing any sort of QC? I would have thought by 2011 we would have gotten to the point where we didn't need to make sure that our bike parts were assembled correctly.
QC is an expense a lot of companies try to pass by, typically due to short-sightedness and trying to save on overhead. It is however, something that should be in place and built into the product flow in order for a company to stay around. Having customers need to ‘tighten screws’ before their ride is a little irresponsible. Sure, we are supposed to check everything over before rides (and most of us do), but pedal pins? I haven’t had to on any of the flats I’ve ever bought. Hopefully Deity steps up and sorts it out, I'd offer to audit if they were close enough.

- Former QA manager, Aerospace and Defence.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
QC is an expense a lot of companies try to pass by, typically due to short-sightedness and trying to save on overhead. It is however, something that should be in place and built into the product flow in order for a company to stay around. Having customers need to ‘tighten screws’ before their ride is a little irresponsible. Sure, we are supposed to check everything over before rides (and most of us do), but pedal pins? I haven’t had to on any of the flats I’ve ever bought. Hopefully Deity steps up and sorts it out, I'd offer to audit if they were close enough.

- Former QA manager, Aerospace and Defence.
What's aggravating is that there are many 3rd party entities in place in Asia and the West Coast that can work as intermediaries and basically manage all QC issues like this. They are fractions of the cost of employing someone internally and will assist in setting up terms and will conduct the actual audits to assure batch quality and essentially put it on the manufacturer to eat the cost of faulty products and to expedite replacements.

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010

Thanks for the posts and we hate to hear you are so frustrated.

Without looking at the pedals...it is difficult to say what is the exact cause for the outer cap backing out. Naturally, I think you have covered all of your bases, but one of the most important factors of the assembly of the pedals will be the inner raw aluminum cap that keeps the spindle from developing the 4mm side to side movement. Then, the black cap sits flush against it securing it in place.

There is a possibility the threads on the pedal were slightly damaged at some point and are not holding the cap 100%, but without looking at it...it is difficult to say.

The internal system and design is the same as the other models that are out which have been very successful for people. Nevertheless, you have encountered a frustrating situation and with a new product...I would also be ready to hit my head on the wall.

If you want to send in the pedals for us to look at, please do. We are always available and take care of our customers 100%. We have not heard from you or the shop about this situation and would have liked to have been involved in helping from the earlier stages.

You can reach our contact information on our site...

Thanks!

Eric
deity

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I really fancied some of these, but a friend bought a set and didn't rate them - the axle bulge is too prominent and reduces the effective grip quite a bit apparently. YMMV.

deitybikeco

Chimp
Nov 11, 2010
Anyone notice that on the Diety website it, there is note at the bottom of the page that reads,

Thanks for the feedback...

Every part of ours is thoroughly quality control inspected. Nevertheless, you would be surprised how many people NEVER check or tighten their pins on their pedals which is one of the largest reasons a pin falls out (outside of impact).

We would be stupid not to have our pins tightened before shipping to a customer and to cause ourselves, or them, that headache would be ridiculous, especially for a small rider owned company like us...

We do not have the luxury to make countless mistakes or waste money on production errors and we do not even trust 3rd party people to do it for us.

Nevertheless, we hate seeing a customer buying a pin kit after a few months due to a pin backing out, so getting it in their minds to check and tighten their pins is a useful tip.

Your feedback is useful though as listing that on our specs page may give people the same assumption you have which is unfortunately incorrect and may give the wrong impression.

Thanks!

Eric
deity

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I could never be a CS rep. That may already have been obvious. I prefer to choke people, and go out of business.

You do not care.

Plastic.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I have a set of these pedals. I think they feel good under foot, super thin. But I had the dust cap fall out 2nd ride. I don't like that these pedals use the dust caps to limit play of the body on the spindle. When the spindle nut fully tightened, the body has 5mm of play back and forth. You use the inner dust cap to take out the play, and then an outer one to lock the adjustment. Kinda goofy way to do it. I think the spindle nut should hold the pedal body on with no play, and the dust cap should just keep the dust out. Relying on two dust caps, that screw into soft plastic threads to retain the pedal body is not a good idea.

I am getting a new dust cap, and will try locking compound, but hope that Deity will revise the design.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have a set of these pedals. I think they feel good under foot, super thin. But I had the dust cap fall out 2nd ride. I don't like that these pedals use the dust caps to limit play of the body on the spindle. When the spindle nut fully tightened, the body has 5mm of play back and forth. You use the inner dust cap to take out the play, and then an outer one to lock the adjustment. Kinda goofy way to do it. I think the spindle nut should hold the pedal body on with no play, and the dust cap should just keep the dust out. Relying on two dust caps, that screw into soft plastic threads to retain the pedal body is not a good idea.

I am getting a new dust cap, and will try locking compound, but hope that Deity will revise the design.
I'm sure you already know this but lots of pedals use the same system to take up that 'final slop.' It's definitely not unique to these pedals.

Sounds like the plastic and aluminum just don't provide the same grip at the thread interface as good ole fashioned soft aluminum on aluminum action. I almost wonder if you could drill and tap a hole for a set screw in there on the pedal body.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I really fancied some of these, but a friend bought a set and didn't rate them - the axle bulge is too prominent and reduces the effective grip quite a bit apparently. YMMV.
interesting. I cannot tell the difference between these pedals and the atomic aircorps I took off to run them, outside of 200g and a somewhat narrower L/R pedal body. I think your friend is hypersensitive. I do run 5.10 hitops though.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've got a set of the nukeproof versions. i can't discern the axle bulge w/ my 510's either. great pedal so far; will see how they hold up longterm.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
interesting. I cannot tell the difference between these pedals and the atomic aircorps I took off to run them, outside of 200g and a somewhat narrower L/R pedal body. I think your friend is hypersensitive. I do run 5.10 hitops though.
I think you might be right - it's not like his other pedals are straitlines either (they are DAMN grippy) - they're a pair of wellgo MG1s.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm sure you already know this but lots of pedals use the same system to take up that 'final slop.' It's definitely not unique to these pedals.

Sounds like the plastic and aluminum just don't provide the same grip at the thread interface as good ole fashioned soft aluminum on aluminum action. I almost wonder if you could drill and tap a hole for a set screw in there on the pedal body.
Dang, that is the deal breaker for me. I was assume people buying pedals like this want something they can install and forget about. Checking end caps don't sound like my idea of a good time after a ride. Usually the bike goes in the shed and I head to the fridge for a beer.