Quantcast

Deity cranks vs the world...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I've used Profiles on many of my bikes up until now. I have bent a few pairs, but for the most part they have worked well. I also have used Primo Powerbites on my 20" for ever. So how do the Vedettas measure up? Are there other amazing options (19mm) that I should be considering, or are the Vendettas the best (why?)?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Everyone I know has been happy with the Vendettas(new Deitys) and I havent heard of any failures. I run profiles as well and havent ever had an issue with them either.... Considering the Vendettas price they are a good option. For American made, Profiles are still the best(if not one of the only choices).

There are a million 19mm crank options. Things like warranty, company rep/philosophy, country of origin, and even style trends start to separate the piles of cranks out there. There are a ridiculous color options now too....

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
No more Primo's Jon?! Man, this little BMXMTB of yours hasn't stopped to impress me - in good ways! :)

(btw - I have nothing of value to add here)

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
my only beef with them is they are ankle biters, the way the crank bolt sticks out from the rest of the crank arm... not clean at all IMO

if you want something diff. then profile, still 19mm look at the demo medials....

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Castle, are you talking about the old or new ones, cuz the new ones are super clean and flush.

Tony, ya, I was just going to toss the old Profiles on there, but I wanted something different. Eric is out till the end of next month, but I'm on the waiting list. I just like what I am seeing from those. I dunno, we will see. As for the Primos, love em, never had a problem with them, but they are heavy.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA

new ones, not flush or clean at alll, crank bolt def. protrudes too much IMO

best pic I could scrounge up of the crank bolt side of the medials.... much cleaner IMO

edit: on a side note Eric is a kick ass dude and has great customer service....

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Apparantly the first batch of Vendetta's had something faulty, but I'm sure that is all cleared up by now, not to mention I'm sure Eric would treat you right even if you did happen to somehow get your hands on one of the faulty weld cranksets... Deity is untouchable in the CS arena.

But, since you're now on a frame with BMX 110 rear spacing and a skinny 68mm bb shell... You don't need the longer ~6" spindle that comes with the Deity's, which were designed as optimal for "mtb" and wider bb shells/135mm+ spacing. Self-extracting bolts aren't really necessary either IMO, nice little touch to simplify removal, but not really needed on a bike thats whole point is to keep things simple.

You can easily get away with BMX cransets off the shelf in your situation.

I'd say look at the Demo Medial LT's, or the Macneil Conjoined ti versions. I've got both and love'em. No probs so far (have had the Medials over 1 season now on my FR bike, and Conjoineds about a month now on a bmx).

honestly, nothing you get right now will really make you that much "different".... unless you go retro with some old Grove Hot-rod chromo cranks, or Tioga Revolvers or something obscure like that... or try to find some of those Solid 25.4" spindle tank cranks, haha!

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Is is the same exact spindle as a Profile. I could actually use a longer one on my MOB, so that could work out well.

And there were more then a few guys in my crew that ran those stupid Solids. Those were boat anchors for sure.