Quantcast

Delay is Dangerous

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Delay Can Be Dangerous
By John McCain
Senator from Arizona and a Republican member of the Senate Armed Services Committee

Iraq and al-Qaeda present the United States with enemies on multiple fronts. In World War II, when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, we went to war -- against them and against the Nazis, who had not attacked our homeland. We did not have the luxury of fighting one enemy at a time.

Sept. 11, 2001 showed that al-Qaeda is a grave threat. Saddam Hussein has the ability to make a far worse day of infamy by turning Iraq into a weapons assembly line for al-Qaeda's network. Does anyone really want to vouch for Saddam, a pathological risk-taker with a history of violent aggression and an enormous stockpile of the world's worst weapons, when terrorists could help him attack us without fingerprints?

There is no link between the current terror alert and the prospect of war with Iraq. We were not contemplating war in 1993, 1996, 1998, 2000 and 2001, when we suffered terror attacks at home and abroad. And if the terrorists attack us because of our plans in Iraq, isn't that proof that Iraq and the terrorists are two faces of the same danger?

War is horrible. But the past century and 9/11 have taught us that there are things worse than war: accommodating international criminals implacably hostile to our interests and values. Failing to act to prevent another attack could make one inevitable. Standing by while an odious regime with a history of support for terrorism and hostility to America develops weapons whose use by terrorists could kill millions of Americans is not a choice. It is an abdication.

Who would not have attacked al-Qaeda before 9/11 had we known their plans? Who would not have heeded British Prime Minister Winston Churchill's call to stand up to Adolf Hitler when Nazi Germany was still weak and millions of lives could have been saved by acting first?

It is in the nature of democracies to be patient. But as history has shown, they can delay to their peril. Placing faith in containing Saddam today recalls Churchill's admonition in the 1930s about a collective defense that lacked teeth or will. As Churchill said of the League of Nations' failure to respond to Italian aggression in Abyssinia, there is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Saddam is like a serial criminal who has stockpiled illegal weapons and refused to surrender them. He has robbed neighbors' homes and murdered his own family. If the police responded the way the United Nations has responded to Saddam, our cities would be overrun with crime. None of us would be safe. There are other criminals, such as Osama bin Laden, and we are hunting them down. Nations around the world have joined our efforts.

Saddam is an international felon who has repeatedly violated the terms of his parole and is planning further crimes with his terrorist accomplices. He must be brought to justice once and for all.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Given the chance I would have voted John McCain for president. :monkey:

I also liked the use of this quote:

As Churchill said of the League of Nations' failure to respond to Italian aggression in Abyssinia, there is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
John McCain and Russ Feingold are the only two people in politics right now I would WANT to have as president.

Like DRB said though, we're never going to get to vote for either of them. I hate voting when I have to pick the candidate I hate the least.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by Damn True
I like McCain, Id like to share a beer with him. However, I don't think he would make a good president. I think he can be a bit of a hothead.
As opposed to what.... a cokehead or a pothead? Or two draft dodgers?

God forbid that an independent thinker find his or her way to the White House. One that wasn't owned by one special interest or another, selling out the American people to whomever got him to the White House. He gets the reputation as a hothead because he is willing to tell the Republican party to stick and vote the way he thinks as opposed to the way he is told to think.

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
Do you realize that both the CIA and the FBI have said that Al Queda and Iraq have no ties what so ever!? Furthermore, Al Queda detests Iraq because they do not follow their religion as closely as Al Queda does, they are not linked!!!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by lanman
Do you realize that both the CIA and the FBI have said that Al Queda and Iraq have no ties what so ever!? Furthermore, Al Queda detests Iraq because they do not follow their religion as closely as Al Queda does, they are not linked!!!!
Thank you for stating the obvious. :rolleyes:

"Iraq and the terrorists are two faces of the same danger..."

Why does the Saddam issue have to be related to al Queda to be valid?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Damn True
I like McCain, Id like to share a beer with him. However, I don't think he would make a good president. I think he can be a bit of a hothead.
Unfortunately you fell for the media's tabloid campaign reporting. Since it is way too difficult to actually report on issues the media tends to concentrate on candidates personalities. And they do not even explore their personalities but make charactures of them to entertain mindless TV viewers and morning radio listeners. The mass media basically summed up the Y2K elections like this: McCain-Hothead, Bush-Talks funny, Gore-No personality.

McCain has plenty to pissed off about, spent over 5 years as a VietNamese POW and he took the fall for the Keating 5 scandal when he was really innocent. He got the Hothead title for saying that he would still like to kill his former captives. He was just being honest, I am sure if anyone here even spent a day being tortured they would feel the same way. IMO McCain is probably the only high level polititian who puts his constituents over his political career.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Word. I am not sure what a bit of a hothead was anyway. :monkey: I think he is one of the most ethical politians we have right now. Eventhough he is not from my state I am proud he was elected to the Senate.

Originally posted by Westy
Unfortunately you fell for the media's tabloid campaign reporting. Since it is way too difficult to actually report on issues the media tends to concentrate on candidates personalities. And they do not even explore their personalities but make charactures of them to entertain mindless TV viewers and morning radio listeners. The mass media basically summed up the Y2K elections like this: McCain-Hothead, Bush-Talks funny, Gore-No personality.

McCain has plenty to pissed off about, spent over 5 years as a VietNamese POW and he took the fall for the Keating 5 scandal when he was really innocent. He got the Hothead title for saying that he would still like to kill his former captives. He was just being honest, I am sure if anyone here even spent a day being tortured they would feel the same way. IMO McCain is probably the only high level polititian who puts his constituents over his political career.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I think he is a great guy. However, diplomacy as we have seen often requires a soft touch. Perhaps a bit more than recently, and yet in other times swift and decisive is best. IMO McCain has not shown that he is good at the soft touch sort.
Would I want him on my side in a fight? You bet.
I don't think our current POTUS is the best guy in the country for the job. I don't think McCain is either. However had I been given the opportunity to vote for McCain for POTUS I would have.