Quantcast

Dell Netbook Commercial... WTF?!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The TV has been playing the crap out of the new Dell commercial. I hate that song, but actually looked at the TV and watched the ad tonight...

So the lights are off and then come on when black dude starts singing "Lollipop" then the white dude gets off his knees putting his overalls on and they give each other the nod. Who storyboarded that action? :eek:

They then take colored dog poo and bake computers...

WTF?!

Enjoy!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You should be intimately familiar with this marketing strategy, being a Mac guy. It's pandering to the public that would rather have a "pretty" laptop than a functional one.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Perhaps instead they should do a realistic I'm a PC worker and I'm a Apple worker with the Apple worker being beaten, committing suicide, and giving his family miserly compensation and a free macbook for his girlfriend?
from that article said:
Foxconn, which produces electronics for some of the world’s best-known brands, like Sony and Hewlett-Packard, operates a cluster of sprawling factories in southern China. One of its Shenzhen campuses has nearly 300,000 workers.
Last I checked, Sony and HP made PCs. This goes way beyond Apple vs PC debate.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Last I checked, Sony and HP made PCs. This goes way beyond Apple vs PC debate.
The employee who was abused and committed suicide was working on the iPhone and they have many factories. This isn't a first for Apple Foxconn, they just gloss over their contractor issues with PR - see http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/06/06/14/photos_inside_foxconns_ipod_city.html

Also prior to the RoHS directive various PC makers were well ahead of Apple on the green side. Apple did very little until the law (RoHS) made them. They don't think different in labor or environmental practices and yet they charge a premium.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nobody cares about green. They just want power.
Actually Apple only makes one desktop computer (the Pro which is really a workstation, not a regular PC) that does not use notebook components as its basis - they have not made a standard entry or mid-range desktop computer in a long time. Notebook components are slower in performance and greener than desktop in power consumption and Apple's biggest PC sales numbers come from their notebooks, so not at all.

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
You should be intimately familiar with this marketing strategy, being a Mac guy. It's pandering to the public that would rather have a "pretty" laptop than a functional one.
I'm pretty sure Apple makes computers that are functional.

Besides, being innovative and pioneering coolness with technology escapes most companies.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm pretty sure Apple makes computers that are functional.
These Dells are perfectly functional.

My point is, they have a very specific target audience: those that shop for a laptop and immediately ask, "what colors does it come in?" or point to one and say, "that one looks the coolest."

Apple heavily targets this segment with virtually all of their consumer electronics.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
You watched the first five seconds of the ad right?
Dude. I don't care how good their products are. Apple is teh ghey. Super ghey even... like Harvey Firestein gay. Sigfried and Roy call Apple gay. Why do you think the apple logo is rainbow colored? Shoot I bet they have their own float in the pride parade, right behind the drag queens.

:D

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Dude. I don't care how good their products are. Apple is teh ghey. Super ghey even... like Harvey Firestein gay. Sigfried and Roy call Apple gay. Why do you think the apple logo is rainbow colored? Shoot I bet they have their own float in the pride parade, right behind the drag queens.

:D
You sound a bit "cloudy" and dammit I wish I were, but the desert is dry.