Quantcast

Demo 8 Shock Position and 40 stack height question...

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Does anyone have any experience running the demo 8 in the steeper head angle position? How does it feel for racing? Any better than the original position? Also I wanted the back to be a little easier to whip around up front so I was wondering if I could move the 3 spacers to above my stem. Am I not supposed to do this because the forks stanchions would stick up an inch above the upper clamp? I included a picture. Thanks for your help guys!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would run it in the steep postion for HA. My buddy has one and runs it there, and likes it better than the slack postition.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I've been racing my Demo 8 since the beginning of the season, and for the first 3 months I had it in the steeper 67deg. H.A. postition.

After that, I decided I wanted a little bit more stability at speed (especially for the Finals at Mt. Snow) so I put it back to it's stock lower position (66deg. H.A.)

I have to say that the bike felt more stable in the 66deg. position. I run an 05' 888RC up front w/ the Go-Ride Lowrider Crowns, so the front end crown set-up is similar to your DH40.

In the taller (upper shockmount position) it definitely increased steering response, but made the bike feel a bit twitchy in high speed corners on DH runs and courses.

For now I have it in the 66deg. position and love it. It's all rider preference. If you are riding some really slow, technical stuff with super tight corners, than the upper position would be best suited to that. For fast courses with fast corners, go with the steeper H.A.

Hope this helps... :D

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
metalMTB said:
Does anyone have any experience running the demo 8 in the steeper head angle position? How does it feel for racing? Any better than the original position? Also I wanted the back to be a little easier to whip around up front so I was wondering if I could move the 3 spacers to above my stem. Am I not supposed to do this because the forks stanchions would stick up an inch above the upper clamp? I included a picture. Thanks for your help guys!

Yeah, no problem you can move those spacers above the top crown, but that is not going to change the H.A at all , it will only lower your handle bar height. If you lower the lower crown then you will be steepening the H.A. Of course you need to be carefull not to lower it too much so it doesn't rub on your front tire when the fork is fully compressed.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
well my goal for lowering my bar height was just so i can get my body over the front a little better so i can maneuver my bike easier / whip it around easier.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
if you want to lower the bars just flip the stem. its a riser and should fit the other way.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
i took 2 spacers and put them above

the bike feels like its a little easier to handle now, awesome, i might even bring up the last spacer. Now if I could get my damn chain guide to stop clicking every single rotation. (blackspire ds-1) anyone else have this issue?