Quantcast

Demo 9 and Zokes 66 RC feedback

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've seen people posting their pics of changing out a dc fork for the 66, but haven't seen much feedback for the Demos. Anyone have much saddle time on them together to leave any feedback? I've seen it posted on other rigs, but the Demo wheelbase is really long and raked out so maybe the 66 would work well.

Now that the season's winding down, I have to turn the Demo into a more trail friendly rig since I can only have 1 bike. A 66 sounds like it would work well on the trails and still ride pretty sweet at the shore.

Any feedback is appreciated.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I was riding with this guy yesterday that was hitting some big doubles with that setup. He seemed to like it alot. I have not ridden it but he said the geo felt good and it flew well. It would be cool to have a bike set up like that.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The 7" 66 is taller than the 8" 888. You would gain nothing. You loose about a pound and 1" in travel. That wouldnt make it any more trail friendly. I dont see the point behind a 05 66. I would rather run a 888 with drop crowns.

unless you buy a 06 66....

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Kanter said:
The 7" 66 is taller than the 8" 888. You would gain nothing. You loose about a pound and 1" in travel. That wouldnt make it any more trail friendly. I dont see the point behind a 05 66. I would rather run a 888 with drop crowns.

unless you buy a 06 66....
I looking at the weight difference and the fact that it would decrease the wheel base a bit. The 2 I have seen on the forums didn't looked raked out like the 888s. I knew the 66's were tall, but didn't realize the 05's were taller than the 888. Man, if it's more slack than the 888 I guess it would defeat the purpose of changing it out.

Anyone with saddle time on this set up out there?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the 05 66's are shorter than a 8in 888 with the original crowns, but taller than one with low rider crowns.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
joelsman said:
the 05 66's are shorter than a 8in 888 with the original crowns, but taller than one with low rider crowns.
Yeah thanks, that's what I was thinking. I can live with it being a bit shorter than the 888s and regular crowns. I actually kind of like the slack feeling of the current set up.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Why not invest in a light dual crown with a short axle to crown? You could sell the 888 and use the other fork for racing and use it for trail riding :cough: 40orboxxer :cough:

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Bicyclist said:
Why not invest in a light dual crown with a short axle to crown? You could sell the 888 and use the other fork for racing and use it for trail riding :cough: 40orboxxer :cough:
I just want to try something different...I had a boxxer and it was a pretty good ride overall. Im kind of digging the sc/dc switch with the 888 and 66 for kicks like Castle had/has.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Kornphlake said:
Why not buy a trail bike for $1500 instead of a $800 fork that won't really make your downhill bike any less of a downhill bike?
Since the wife won't let me have more than 1 bike. Im and advocate of having too much and not needing vs needing and not having...I wish I could buy a trail bike believe you me....

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
get one and stach it at a friends house. or sell the demo and get a lighter FR bike thats more trailable.
a 05 66 willn't be noticeable vs the 888. a 06 66 would fit nicly, maybe even the 66 lite air w/ ETA. thats just my $.02.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
spacemanspiff06 said:
get one and stach it at a friends house. or sell the demo and get a lighter FR bike thats more trailable.

Hehe youre not married are you? The wife knows all and sees all lol...well at least mine does. I love the demo and would rather drag a pig that is pedalable and enjoy it for the dh side. I may be able to swing a lighter trail bike in the near future, but for now I want to play around with the idea of having a dual purpose bike...albeit phat one...

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Look at my V10 with 66RC on it in photos section.Downhill or readers rides..
I totally love it on the 2003 V10 & it IS raked out & kinda hard to steer on tight trails,but i'm used to it now after 3 rides..
I ALSO feel the need for only 1 bike. So i am also converting the V10 to trail for the winter maybe for a change...
We ride steep terrain around here,so a raked HA is good.
66RC is a great fork !

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Monkeybidnezz said:
Since the wife won't let me have more than 1 bike. Im and advocate of having too much and not needing vs needing and not having...I wish I could by a trail bike believe you me....

Ah, it makes much more sense now. I'm actually allowed to have 3 bikes, I'm not allowed to ride 2 of them though and I haven't bought any new parts for almost a year.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
kidwoo said:
I hopped on a feller's demo 8 at whistler for 2 runs worth because he wanted to ride my turner. His was a 6" 66 and I was suprised at how balanced it felt. Didn't feel out of place at all.
Nice, that's kind of what I was looking for. Thanks all.