Quantcast

Demo BB Setting - High vrs. Low Postion

gbone

Chimp
Apr 20, 2006
Happy Holidays!

Looking for observations\experience with the pros\cons of setting the BB on the 2011 Demo to the high position.

Have been riding the low position since I got the bike and love it. Many of the trails I have access to are tight so I am going to give the high BB setting a go. The high position steepens the head angle so I am thinking I should be able to make tighter turns a bit more efficiently.

Anything you can share is appreciated.

Thanks!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
While i didnt ever ride it in the high position, i set it there briefly, i think that it wont make enough of a difference to notice, this is merely speculation though, i kept mine in the low position, if you have a hard time in the corners, just push down in the rear, itl push through, guarentee it!

jwray

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
Rode it in the high position for awhile because its a bit more flat in georgia haha. personally i thought it jumped better and was more poppy. Felt a bit more upright also.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I tried both when I first got my demo. I ended up sticking with the low. While not in motion it didnt seem like a big difference at all but but on trail it was very noticeable. I didnt like it and the reason is because it wasnt what i was used to. It may be better for tighter trails but I am the type of guy who doesnt like to change a winning formula. I was more comfortable on the low more stable setting in most of my riding situations so thats what i chose to stick with all the time

P.S. a friend of mine left it in the high position the whole year. he usually beat me by 1 or 2 seconds so i guess that means high position MUST be moar faster. give the high position a try.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
I just switched to high, I've never owned a plow bike before, and thats what it seemed to be. Felt good today on its first ride out, I wasn't riding steep/fast tracks though. Will probably stick it in low come chairlift season.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Giving the taller/steeper geo setting a try definitely won't hurt anything. I am definitely the type to tweak everything I can, turn all the knobs, etc. I use my frame's geo adjust depending on where I'm riding. Others I know don't want to touch a single knob and want their bikes to be totally set and forget. I'd give the other setting a try, then decide if you think it is worth adjusting, or just pick a setting and leave it there.

Also, this is bumping a thread that does not contain DSP spam. Can we get chrostineliao banned?

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
If your trails are fast you will notice it. Your head angle will steepen, causing faster steering, bike becomes unstable at high speeds. I have a banshee scythe and this is what I notice when I make changes. Also I feel with the shorter wheelbase it centers you body weight more, making it a little easier in tighter turns. Just my .02

gbone

Chimp
Apr 20, 2006
If your trails are fast you will notice it. Your head angle will steepen, causing faster steering, bike becomes unstable at high speeds. I have a banshee scythe and this is what I notice when I make changes. Also I feel with the shorter wheelbase it centers you body weight more, making it a little easier in tighter turns. Just my .02
Exactly. The stability the Demo offer in the low\slack position is why I left my FR geometry to begin with. Our trails seem to offer everything; steep, fast, tight, gaps rock gardens, sharp turns, etc, however there are lots of tight turns (90s).

I will give it try and see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing.

-Adam