Quantcast

Demo8 Versus Demo9

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
just to throw this out there but rocky changed their geometry on the 06 rmx so it can be used as a downhill bike at least that was what i was told when i talked to them.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
S.K.C. said:
...if you have Strait's old Demo 9 (we're talking about the Red one here I'm assuming) ask Kyle if you can talk to his bike mechanic Reg.

The only custom work I know of on that bike is the use of a different colored seatstay (silver), shockstay(black) and S-Link (silver)...that plus the fact that they had to custom fab some shock mounting hardware since this was before DHX's became OEM on the Demo series (2006).

In the lowest setting the BB is 371mm or 14.6"... that isn't too bad.

It's all rider preference I guess.
I know, it should be 14.6" but for some reason its 15. (yeah its in the low position) Combination of that and the steep HA have showed me what I like in a bike... (not my demo)

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Red Bull said:
I know, it should be 14.6" but for some reason its 15. (yeah its in the low position) Combination of that and the steep HA have showed me what I like in a bike... (not my demo)
I recall you saying that you had a custom longer than average shock on your bike...that would do it.

The bb on my demo 9 w/ boxxer is low (like just above 14 I think), and it is slack too. For my riding style (racing and general DH) the geometry is spot on. It's super stable at speed because of the long wheelbase, yet it corners like it's on rails because of the short chainstays. After spending some time on a demo 8 recently I decided I don't really like it, it felt like I was riding a scooter or something. I might end up just keeping my demo for next season, too...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
konabiker said:
I recall you saying that you had a custom longer than average shock on your bike...that would do it.

The bb on my demo 9 w/ boxxer is low (like just above 14 I think), and it is slack too. For my riding style (racing and general DH) the geometry is spot on. It's super stable at speed because of the long wheelbase, yet it corners like it's on rails because of the short chainstays. After spending some time on a demo 8 recently I decided I don't really like it, it felt like I was riding a scooter or something. I might end up just keeping my demo for next season, too...
That was what Mr Strait (Kyles Dad) said. But I dont think that was true, unless Fox carries that size spring in their race trailer... (But if that was the case, yes thats why...)

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY

i love my demo, i took it out, and it corners really well, and the geo feels great, mine actuallly weighs abit less compared to the stock d9. itll be even lighter with a dhx ti spring, and dual minions w xc tubes or tubless, ti railed seat, carbon post, and bars and stuff, you could get it down perdy low, and if you run the right sag who cares, i say, run an inch more sag than on the d8, and youll still get the same travel and a lower bb. perhaps a shorter shock would help, but i have no idea.

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Believe it or not but specialized devoloped the demo 8 for DH. It has a better geometry for it. But there is better out there...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
konabiker:
...I don't think that you guys realize this, but the geometry between the Demo 8 and Demo 9 is identical EXCEPT for: BB height, Shock length, and rear travel... - Everything else is the same - WB, TT, Chainstays, etc.

As far as the DHX Air goes - word around the campfire is, that due to the slightly higher than average leverage ratio of the Demos, the DHX Air isn't suited to this application.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
S.K.C. said:
konabiker:
As far as the DHX Air goes - word around the campfire is, that due to the slightly higher than average leverage ratio of the Demos, the DHX Air isn't suited to this application.
Well it's less than a 3:1 ratio..so if that is the case the DHX is not going to work on a lot of bikes...D

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
konabiker said:

Yea, they are def. sick bikes. If I end up not getting a Gracia, I'm going to try and score a D9 for racing next year.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Red Bull said:
Pics!

I really dislike my Demo. I have a 15" BB (in the low setting! :mumble: ) and run my DH40 at 7". I dont understand why my bb is so high, maybe custom geo? (straits old bike)

Hmm, id love a racier bike, possibly a demo 8... :o:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
S.K.C. said:
and the fact that they dont make the shock in a 2.75 stroke (which seems wierd due to the plethora of bikes running that stroke that would benefit from such a shock - maybe next year?)

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
motomike said:
DHX right? then it's 3" stroke. The extra .25 length is so the spring doesn't bottom on itself before the shock bottoms.
Thats what I thought... I must have custom Geo... :dancing:

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Red Bull said:
Nah, Nah, Nah. I have a 15" bb in the "low" position with a normal shock and everything... (and a low fork!)
Damn, I wish I could get 15" on mine. My phat booty drops it down to 12"...Time to put it on the "high" position I guess. Just too lazy I guess. :mumble:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Me:
xy9ine:
and the fact that they dont make the shock in a 2.75 stroke (which seems wierd due to the plethora of bikes running that stroke that would benefit from such a shock - maybe next year?)
...but that's precisely it. :D The reason Fox dosen't make a 2.75 stroke DHX Air, is because they have already determined that the leverage ratios for that length, in general, are too high for the DHX Air to be suitable.

If they manage to re-work some things, maybe eventually we'll see one, but for now, it's been pre-determined.

fatcats

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
hey bmxman, im really curious as to why you built that bike up with a shiver, i havent seen one of those in a while...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
That and the Shiver is a really really plush fork. If my 40 broke and I had to buy a new fork I'd buy a Shiver. The added weight would be a negaitve, but it works just as well, and when riding the bike, I can feel no more flex. I'm glad that the DHX air won't fit. Let's wait for everyone else to test them out for us, then when they fix all possible problems and have them ready for the D8, it'll be radness. Arrrg, I really want my '06 Demo soon!

** Does anyone know if my 5th Element from my AS-X will fit in my Demo? I'm not digging the steepish head tube angle, a little slacker would be rad, and lower should be an interesting experiment. 5th= 8.5 x 2.5, I believe. **

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
It'll fit, but you'll be turning your D8 into a lowrider...:D

What you need is an 8.75x2.75" shock - that smaller one form your Yeti will rob you of some suspension travel, and lower the bottom bracket height - even if you try to compensate by running the taller HT angle (which raises the BB height).

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
S.K.C. said:
...but that's precisely it. :D The reason Fox dosen't make a 2.75 stroke DHX Air, is because they have already determined that the leverage ratios for that length, in general, are too high for the DHX Air to be suitable.
nah, you just don't know how to ask for it. something along the lines of "Fox, we'd like to spec a 9x2.75 on our top of the line 7POINT" seemed to work pretty well. :oink:

(and yes, according to Fox that should be available aftermarket within a couple months as well...)

:love:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
BMXman said:
one ride on my Demo and my Swinger already is fvcking up:mumble:..loose eyelet reducers or maybe bushings...D
That's a very common problem, I had the same issue on my Demo8. Wrap the lower shock bolt (the one that goes through the main frame) in plumber's tape. The problem is the cold forging is too stiff, and when you crank down on the shock bolt the frame doesn't really crimp together like the engineers thought it would. This puts all the work of holding the shock in place on the bushings, which aren't that strong. I had Manitou put in a new bushing at Snowmass, and while it kinda helped, there was still play. The GOOD NEWS is that the play won't get any bigger, it'll just stay about the same. Plus, you can't feel it on the bike. Annoying, yes, but life could be worse.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
BMXman said:
one ride on my Demo and my Swinger already is fvcking up:mumble:..loose eyelet reducers or maybe bushings...D
It seems to be a common problem-mine did it too. Here's my remedy-went to Home Depot and got an 8mm ID wave washer. I flattened it a bit and wedged it between the reducer and the inside of the frame. No more play.