Quantcast

Demo8 Versus Demo9

D

demo008

i have a demo eight for starters and its great for racing. the difference between the eight and nine is that the eight has a lower bottom bracket for better cornering in racing. And since the ribcage isnt as beefed up as the nine it is a little lighter. other wise the suspension works the same. and if your looking to buy an eight i got one up for sale.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
The 8 feels more agile , front feels lower (but it might be the same...) and the rear was easy to throw around,
Riding the 8 realy opened my eyes but the 9 felt like just another bike ,

I am only describing feelings and this can change with sizes and settings...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The 8 is designed to be a race bike where as the 9 is a freeride bike. Just look at the components, ect. The 8 is ~5 pounds lighter because of parts and the lighter frame. I can't see any reason to get the 9 over the 8, especially because the 9 is more money than the 8.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I went with the 9 for several reasons.

I'm a bigger guy, so the extra weight is not noticable. I'm not using it for racing, so it isn't an issue.

I like the extra travel, and feels much more secure with the bolt on axle in the rear vs the qr.

Lots of the big rig manufacturers are going with the 150mm (D9) axle and creates a better chainline from my understanding.

I rode both, and didn't like the low bb of the 8...i hit the pedals which was really annoying. Price wise, I purchased a brand new 04 for much cheaper than a D8 would have cost so it was a score for me.

I have to agree that the weight of the 8 is a plus for racing, but overall my decision to go with the 9 was much better for me. It feels very nimble to me, and having 9 stinking inches is sure nice lol...

Both are great rigs, you just have to decide what you want the bike for..if you are a big guy like me, not doubt you can go either way..both awesome bikes.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I like the 8, but I feel like the chainstays are too short. In a fast, tight, steep berm, I can't pump the 8 nearly as hard as I could pump my old M1. The short chainstays/really steep head angle allow you to set up for a fat pump, but then coming out of the corner and completing the pump just loops you out.

I don't know if the 9 has the same length chainstays or not, but that is something to consider. Also, the steep head tube angle might not be to your liking, but it is an excellent bike. Have fun!

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
after riding down the largest mountain in the uk, i'm glad i have the demo9.

it took the abuse and laughed, although i wasn't laughing at the 6hr uplift.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...well the 8 wasn't REALLY intended to be a DH race bike, but it was designed with that in mind. It's really more of a double-duty freeride/DH race bike.

If it really was designed for DH race application, then it wouldn't have a 46.5" wheelbase (and that's for a MEDIUM frame) and weigh so much (look at the M3, and the Orange 223/224). Also the suspension design itself is intended for use in big drops.

This isn't to say that the Demo 8 isn't at home on the course racing. I've had mine since Feb. and it's perfect for what I do (DH/FR). I like the fact that the frame is soooo burly and over-built. I can't afford to get a new frame every couple of years, so the tougher it is the better. The construction of the head-tube joint where the box sections join is VERY well reinforced. I was looking a an M3, but felt uneasy about accidentally denting the monocoque forward section of the frame, thereby weakening it.

The Demo 9 is for the big boys out there who need a big bike, or for the hucker who wants to go HUGE. It's geometry is absolutely identical to that of the Demo 8 - look here: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9694 and compare the geometry between the 2. The Demo 9 is probably one of the most well thought out and designed FR bikes out there. Not really great for racing unless you are a big guy and have the muscle to throw this thing around on the course.

Either way - they're both great bikes.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Some interesting info here. I was looking at the 8 as a possible race bike for next season (I actually want to get semi-serious about racing next season) so i'm just trying to find out some general info and opinions.

I'm also looking at the Giant DH team

If I do end up getting a new bike, it would be strictly for DH. I'd be keeping my Rocky Mountain RMX for FR and social DH.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
sn0wboarder said:
Why did Specialized leave out the through-axle and 150mm spacing on the demo 8?
What would be interesting to find out is if the Rear triangle of the Demo 9 will fit on the Demo 8.

Anybody have any warranty issues???

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
BigMike said:
If I do end up getting a new bike, it would be strictly for DH. I'd be keeping my Rocky Mountain RMX for FR and social DH.
man if your getting another bike get a pure race bike not the demo the geo on the demo is **** and your rmx would prolly be just as good for racing.

i would say look into something more like a turner dhr or a cannondale gemini maby even a orange 223 or something exotic like yeti 303 or foes mono if you got the cash. there are endless possibilitys out there besides the demo line which really dosn't shine much when put next to those full bore dh bikes

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
julian_dh said:
man if your getting another bike get a pure race bike not the demo the geo on the demo is **** and your rmx would prolly be just as good for racing.

i would say look into something more like a turner dhr or a cannondale gemini maby even a orange 223 or something exotic like yeti 303 or foes mono if you got the cash. there are endless possibilitys out there besides the demo line which really dosn't shine much when put next to those full bore dh bikes
Yeah, All those are nice, I'm just toying with the idea for now, I'm not actually gonna get the bike for months, so i'm just looking around

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
julian_dh said:

opinions vary but a friend of mine has a Demo 8 set up for racing and I think it's pretty good ride....the Demo series can hang right in there with all the other brands....D

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They can be made to be extremely light, too. The one I'm going to get is going to be around 38 when it's done.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
38lbs!?!?!!!

Seriously?!

I've figured out the future weight for mine by running some calculations, and even with tubeless (I have a 888RC though...) I'm projecting a target weight between 41.42 and 42.42lbs depending on whether or not I go with a DH40 for next year...

What the hell are you putting on your Demo 8 to make it so light???

...and yeah the Demo 8 can be set up to be an awesome DH race rig, just ask Kyle Strait... :D

With me, I was going from my old 02' Big Hit w/Big Link to the Demo 8 and the geometry feels second nature to me at this point... The wheelbase is an inch longer than most DH race bikes so it rides super stable at speed... plus, with the shock in the lower mounting hole, the HT angle is a comfy 66deg...

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Yeah, sad thing about going lighter...the lighter the more costly. One of the MTBR guys claims to have it down below 40. I think with tubeless, Fox 40 and the new DHX air shock it could easily be close to 38...sweet build built for speed.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
-2006 Rockshox Boxxer WC
-Swinger w/ Ti
-Middleburn cranks and FSA BB
-Sun SOS rims/ Am classic R, Zoke R, revolutions
-Ti seat
Ect...

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
well if the demo 8 and demo 9 got into a nasty fight then i'm sure the demo 9 would win by a tiny margin. but this is racing...and bikes don't fight.... so the 8 would probably be a faster bike for an average size person since it will be easier to maneuver. I have an 8 and i love it

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
man..the speculation on the Demo 8 is funny. It all came down to 2 goals from what Brandon and Herndon explained to me.
Goal one - get rid of rear end flex. Hence the shock location and redesign
Goal two - One bike for every purpose.

The QR is a bonus of the stiffer rear end and it works. For people wanting 1 bike for everything trail oriented, the Demo 8's seatpost goes way up or way down, you can change a flat trailside without an 8mm (granted yourfront fork will need tools) and it can adjust BB height and even accomadate a 24" wheel without screwing geometry for the big huck wheel crushers out there.

It will work with triple ring, double ring or big ring DH...pretty versatile if it's your only bike...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
bizutch said:
man..the speculation on the Demo 8 is funny. It all came down to 2 goals from what Brandon and Herndon explained to me.
Goal one - get rid of rear end flex. Hence the shock location and redesign
Goal two - One bike for every purpose.

The QR is a bonus of the stiffer rear end and it works. For people wanting 1 bike for everything trail oriented, the Demo 8's seatpost goes way up or way down, you can change a flat trailside without an 8mm (granted yourfront fork will need tools) and it can adjust BB height and even accomadate a 24" wheel without screwing geometry for the big huck wheel crushers out there.

It will work with triple ring, double ring or big ring DH...pretty versatile if it's your only bike...
that's exactly why I looked into it...for all the reasons you listed...D

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
BMXman said:
haha...guess what I just finished building :D
Pics!

I really dislike my Demo. I have a 15" BB (in the low setting! :mumble: ) and run my DH40 at 7". I dont understand why my bb is so high, maybe custom geo? (straits old bike)

Hmm, id love a racier bike, possibly a demo 8... :o:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...if you have Strait's old Demo 9 (we're talking about the Red one here I'm assuming) ask Kyle if you can talk to his bike mechanic Reg.

The only custom work I know of on that bike is the use of a different colored seatstay (silver), shockstay(black) and S-Link (silver)...that plus the fact that they had to custom fab some shock mounting hardware since this was before DHX's became OEM on the Demo series (2006).

In the lowest setting the BB is 371mm or 14.6"... that isn't too bad.

It's all rider preference I guess.