Quantcast

demos

Nov 9, 2005
would you rather have a demo 8 with a dhx anda titanium spring or a demo 9 with a dhx air. it would be mainly for trail riding but also jumps and drops

Nov 9, 2005
the problem is fox doesnt make the right size dhx air for the demo 8 but they do for the demo 9 so what would the weight comparisons be between the dhx air on the demo 9 and the demo 8 with the ti spring

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
the demo 8 frame is about 1.5 -2lbs lighter than the demo 9 w/ stock shocks swinger 4 way. giving the 9 w/ air and 8 w/ti possibly a 1lb differance between the two. With the 1" less travel and slightly lower bb I think the d8 is the better choice. I love my d9 but would trade it for a d8 in a heartbeat. plus you can use a reg 135mm rear wheel on the d8

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
^Exactly. Plus you can use the DHX Air with the shorter stroke and same i2i to get 7 and a quarter inches of travel.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
What shock size does the D8 use? I'm guessing 8.75x2.75".

Bicyclist, why get a 7.25" travel air sprung Demo8 when you could get an SXT for even less weight and only slightly less travel? I say 8" ti sprung Demo8 is the best choice, only 1/2b heavier than a DHX air but with a better feel and a full 8" travel.

I still hope Fox comes out with an 8.75x2.75" DHX air for late '06. So many bikes use that size.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Best thing I did to my demo 9 was the dhx w/ ti spring. It blows the swinger away. Not too sure about the dhx air anyway. i never really liked the feel of an air shock and how will it hold up compared to a coil? no doubt demo 8 is the way to go. If you get a d8 in a small and you don't like it I'll trade you my d9 w/dhx and ti coil.:)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
punkassean said:
What shock size does the D8 use? I'm guessing 8.75x2.75".

Bicyclist, why get a 7.25" travel air sprung Demo8 when you could get an SXT for even less weight and only slightly less travel? I say 8" ti sprung Demo8 is the best choice, only 1/2b heavier than a DHX air but with a better feel and a full 8" travel.

I still hope Fox comes out with an 8.75x2.75" DHX air for late '06. So many bikes use that size.
I'm just saying it's an option. And I think the way a bike sits is more important than anything. I've ridden Enduros (the new and old ones) extensively and the new SX Trail briefly and I much prefer my Demo 8. It sits lower and it feels better to me.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ The Demo8 might sit lower than last years SXT but not this years. My Enduro sits super low, especially when properly sagged. I do agree though that travel numbers are secondary to geometry and overall feel.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
My Demo is lower than this years SX Trail II that I rode, and mine is in the steep setting and it was in the slackest setting.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Why do you expect someone to look for you when you can just go to the Specialized website and look for yourself?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Bicyclist said:
Why do you expect someone to look for you when you can just go to the Specialized website and look for yourself?
because usually different setups lead to different bb heights. an 888 will have a diff. bb then a dh40 or boxxer.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
Bump for a friend who is in Costa Rica! Treeeeeeeeeeeevor hope ur having fun, LONDON is pretty much the coolest place on the planet!

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
For the guys who have a dhx on their demo 8.... did you just use the ti spring that came with the bike on the dhx? does it fit correctly?

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Another vote for the 8 with the Ti spring.

Getting a Demo9 with an air spring, doesnt make sense to me. I would take coil over air anyday, and with the 8, you are still lighter.

Unless you are hitting the biggest, most knarly drops out there, the Demo9 in a way, is a tad overkill, ever since the 8 came out...IMO.

Nov 9, 2005
yea the demo 8 with the ti spring sounds like the way to go and the new frame has that tight engraving by the stem and seatpost