Quantcast

Dems may end up helping the GOP

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ted Koppel did an editorial on NPR today. With all of the divisiveness and nastiness in the democratic race right now, it actually could blow things for them.

Supposedly some Hillary supporter are so anti-Obama (and some Obama supporters are so anti Hillary), that.....if I recall correctly, they said that some 25-30% of Hillary supporters would switch to McCain if Obama ends up winning....

I'm beginning to think that a McCain in the White House isn't so far-fetched anymore.....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think if Obama gets the nomination, he will be president, if not Mccain it is. Hillary is hated so badly by so many people...people who have never even thought about voting will get out of their trailers just to spite her. Mccain is kind of an innocuous figure to me. I see nothing really happening with him if he becomes president, so other than wanting to see the war end...which it wont regardless of who wins, and wanting a better economy, which I cant really predict who would be better at guiding it, I guess I just dont care that much.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is very hard to believe that Democrats are going to jump ship after the nomination.

As much as I like McCain over Bush, he is still a Republican who has no plan to recall the troops from Iraq.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
McCain as president...he drops dead within the first two years.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
....and everyone thought that the VP, Heart Attack Jones wouldn't make it to the end of his term....

I guess eating babies does make you strong. Maybe Patrick Swayze should try it..

Shut up!! It's my thread, I'll do what I want with it!!!!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
If hillary steals the nomination by either her lead in superdelegates or by seating the MI and FL delegates, I won't vote for her and I have a feeling a lot of others won't either. If hillary loses to obama, I can't imagine the same feeling of a "stolen nomination", but then again maybe that's just me...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If Clinton wins, three things are going to hand the election to McCain:
- the superdelegates and "stolen nomination" issue that Dante raised
- the absolute hatred of Clinton by the right, and the catalog of history they've compiled on her for purposes of negative campaigning
- the entrance of Bloomberg into the presidential race. He would split East Coast left wing votes with Clinton and leave McCain to sweep up the largest minority of right wing and centrist votes. He has less of a strong position against Obama.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
dont forget about all the riots a'la Rodney King verdict if hillary steals the nomination...

that will seal the election for McCain..

Mmm-Mmm!

no justice, no peace!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I thought he had stated he wasn't running.
He has to state that. He won't make a decision until after the party nominees are decided. He has set aside a $1B campaign fund, and will only enter the race if his strategists agree he has a significant shot at winning. He doesn't want to be a Perot-style spoiler.

My best guess is a Hillary nomination is the scenario they think will give him a shot. That's the only speculation. Everything else is from one of his campaign planners/advisors.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Beware the phantom candidate

booga booga!

All I picture is a bunch of rednecks in chaps sitting around a fire in Kansas going "neyoo york citeh!!!???
I'm no Bloomtard. Not saying he's viable. Saying he'll **** things up should Hilldogger enter.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Isn't the Dems' sole function to screw up and help Republicans win elections?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On the other hand this close race is bringing large numbers of democratic voters out to the primaries. TAny US election is just as much about getting people off their asses as it is getting people to support a candidate. If this momentum continues to the general election the Dems might have an advantage.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Interesting that McCain got his Dubya endorsement over and done with at the earliest possible moment. Sure as sh*t Dubya won't be figuring in his campaign. The close Dem race though is a bit of a conundrum for him. Does he sit back and wait until the Dem candidate is chosen before attacking or does he go the Napalm strategy. Waiting means he risks all the attention going to the Dems for the next few months, attacking now means he might shoot his wad too soon, though given his age blowing at first base seems unlikely.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The close Dem race though is a bit of a conundrum for him.
Not at all, it's a huge stroke of luck. He gets to spend 5 months raising money and campaigning against no one. That's an opportunity to build huge momentum and a war-chest without the weight of opposition, disagreement, questioning of policies, etc. No reason for him to do any attacking of individuals, just subtle innuendos about the democratic party which most everyone (even the Dems) agree is a flaccid pile of spent douche.

The fact that he's centrist on top of that means the Republicans have also totally lucked out, and because they are a much more cohesive party than the Dems are very willing to fall in line behind him, even though 6 months ago they hated him for being too far left.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Not at all, it's a huge stroke of luck. He gets to spend 5 months raising money and campaigning against no one. That's an opportunity to build huge momentum and a war-chest without the weight of opposition, disagreement, questioning of policies, etc. No reason for him to do any attacking of individuals, just subtle innuendos about the democratic party which most everyone (even the Dems) agree is a flaccid pile of spent douche.

The fact that he's centrist on top of that means the Republicans have also totally lucked out, and because they are a much more cohesive party than the Dems are very willing to fall in line behind him, even though 6 months ago they hated him for being too far left.
True for sure, but with everyone focused on the Dems he risks being the forgotten man, especially if the economy, as looks likely, continues to tank and if the war takes a turn for the worse (perhaps less likely). I do agree that the Repubs are in a better position than they thought they would be. If Obama and Hilary are smart they need to get together and focus on the rest of the nomination race on winning the November election by being positive and not attacking each other. The race is so close though that this is just wishful thinking.

Always interesting to me that the nomination race in America pits people on the same side against each other for such a long time, allowing resentment to fester. At least in the Westminster system the internal fights tend to be done and dusted fairly quickly with a definite result at the end- either you're the PM or you're not.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
True for sure, but with everyone focused on the Dems he risks being the forgotten man, especially if the economy, as looks likely, continues to tank and if the war takes a turn for the worse (perhaps less likely). I do agree that the Repubs are in a better position than they thought they would be. If Obama and Hilary are smart they need to get together and focus on the rest of the nomination race on winning the November election by being positive and not attacking each other. The race is so close though that this is just wishful thinking.

Always interesting to me that the nomination race in America pits people on the same side against each other for such a long time, allowing resentment to fester. At least in the Westminster system the internal fights tend to be done and dusted fairly quickly with a definite result at the end- either you're the PM or you're not.

Our method allows people more time to shop around and purchase a candidate.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Because you always use lots of Valium to absolve yourself of 'responsibility' for your actions before going to a bathhouse?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think the biggest risk right now is a polarization between dems that might turn out like the repubs in the "I'm not voting if I can't vote for X".

I don't want to vote for Hillary, but I will if she wins the nod. Not because I want her to win, but because I would rather have a douche than a turd sandwich.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I think the biggest risk right now is a polarization between dems that might turn out like the repubs in the "I'm not voting if I can't vote for X".

I don't want to vote for Hillary, but I will if she wins the nod. Not because I want her to win, but because I would rather have a douche than a turd sandwich.
the dems went with the lukewarm, "safe" candidate in '04. they put up a long-time party insider who was as bland as could possibly be, and tried to out-republican the republicans by talking tough ("I'm John Kerry, and I'm reporting for duty") and freakin' lost. BADLY. At least if they'd put up Dean they could've differentiated themselves from the republicans, and had a real debate on things like health care and the war, instead of it being about "I voted for it before I voted against it" kind of crap that exemplified the campaign...