Quantcast

Den of Thieves, aka Bank of America

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Thats right, they should only help out rich people. The fees they charge are ridiculous....they justify huge overdraft (trying paying $35 for a $5 overdraft) by saying they are extending you the courtesy of credit so you can make your purchase.
...I'm sorry, maybe I'm not getting why they should bend over backwards for people spending money they don't have. They are doing you a favor by covering the check you wrote instead of bouncing it.

In Cooter's case, it was a lousy situation because someone promised him something and then didn't deliver, but complaining about overdraft fees is a little ridiculous. If you can't manage your money, you pay the price. I have paid that price myself - now I don't bounce checks anymore. Simple.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I guess it is a two way street, if you are bad at managing your money, and or have very little of it, why should a bank which has a sole purpose of making money by managing money hook you up?

Isn't that like going into a LBS only when you need to buy the smallest of part with no margin and asking for a hook-up?
No, B of A is more like buying a gift certificate from an LBS. Then you give it to a friend who goes to the LBS to buy something then they're told there is an additional 5 dollar charge to use the gift cert because they are are not a regular customer.

You're the exception to the rule, bud.

And BV... the bank is not doing anyone a FAVOR. You know better than that. They are a business offering SERVICES. They are bending over backwards to allow a purchase with funds you do not have because that is the service they sold to the customer. It ain't a favor!Whether or not they charge a fair price for said services is up to debate. In either case I choose to not purchase their services due to the poor customer service I have experienced with them.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You're the exception to the rule, bud.
I've had nothing but great experiences with Bank of America. Their staff is courteous and knowledgeable, spends as much time with you as you need, and they've taken care of anything I've ever had a problem with. I would label their customer service "exceptional" especially given one afternoon I spent in there trying to figure out how to best accept payment from overseas. Their online banking tools are very comprehensive, and bill pay is free.

Yes, there are always nickel and dime fees at banks and sometimes they seem a bit ridiculous - especially something like cashing a check. But do you have any other reason to hate them? Seems a little silly to rage against a bank for a $5 fee you were charged once. It's a big bank, it is inevitable that there will be bloodsuckers and jackasses employed there. There are such people everywhere, though.

edit: Their service is to provide you with a place to store money, interest rates, and ways to manage and spend that money. They are not obligated to lend you money when you fail to keep track of what you have and overspend.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Yes, there are always nickel and dime fees at banks and sometimes they seem a bit ridiculous - especially something like cashing a check. But do you have any other reason to hate them?
Enough of a reason for me. The banking industry goes unchecked in a lot of states, I feel fortunate to live in Oregon becuase we have been cracking down on them (I support the IT for the department that sets the regulation). Check cashers are the current target

splat

Nam I am
THe only real Gripe I have had with BofA is when they used to have my Mortgage. THe Would not except an electronic payment. if you wanted to pay electroniclly you had to set it up as automatic regular payments. I refinaced with a bank that will let me pay electroniclly and lowered my interest rated to 4.625 %

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
edit: Their service is to provide you with a place to store money, interest rates, and ways to manage and spend that money. They are not obligated to lend you money when you fail to keep track of what you have and overspend.
Actually that depends on the services they OFFERED (and purchased). If they are advertising/offering overdraft protection (and the customer purchased it) then yes, they ARE obligated to do so.

The issue with the customer is thet he didn't READ the disclosure/contract and check the overdraft fees before utilizing said services.

My issues is with their fees, and the horrible customer service I have experienced with them. My experience does not negate yours, and vice versa. But lets not act like overdraft protection is a favor by the big nice bank. It is a service offered by a business purchased by the customer. Last I heard a business is indeed obliged to render services offered and paid for.

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
i think it depends on where your bank is... here in SB, they do let you get 100 of a deposit( if its more than that) untill the next day but hell i deposited something friday and it was cleared through on sat morning.

eh wells fargo has been decent except for they started charging me 8 bucks for my checking account... and the fact that they wont let me make a payment to my cc with my paycheck that im depositing... which sucks because the same guy who told me i couldnt do it was the same guy who did it for me the week before... that pissed me off but other than that...

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I think the answer is simple.

Walk into your banks on Friday.
Stroll calmly right up to the bank manager.
Kick him in the sack as hard as you can muster, steel tipped boots for style points.
Spit on him.
And scream, in the highest pitch you can muster "HOW'S THAT FOR BLACK FRIDAY, BEEEEAAATTTTCCHHHHH."

It will be a major shopping holiday he'll never forget.
And you'll feel better about them PIIYB every month for fees.
Because you kicked him right in the baby sack.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
So you won't be posting anymore when your power gets shut off?
Not sure. I can always steal intranetz from the cougar next door.
Her husband's in Iraq for a few more months, I'm sure we can work something out.