Quantcast

Denver-area camping

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm looking to do a second trip to the Denver area this summer, but it will likely be for a full month as a job searching expedition. In an effort to keep my costs down I am thinking about just setting up a tent somewhere and getting a membership to the YMCA for showers and such. I'd also probably get a storage unit to store my bikes and other misc stuff that I need to bring with me.

Can anybody think of camping in the immediate Denver area (~30min drive to downtown) where I can probably camp for free or really cheap?

Thanks.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You're just a beard and rain coat away from being a suspect in some horrible drifter crime...

anyhow - there are several camp spots along the Platte river.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks SM. It's not that I can't afford a hotel, I just refuse to pay for something like that when it ends up costing $3k/m for a place that likely won't have bed bugs and likely won't let me bring my bikes inside.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Now I feel bad, the Platte river is where the drunken bums hang out. I really cant picture anywhere close to the downtown area where you you could camp. You need a good hostel.

Try this Youth Hostel just 6 blocks east of Broadway and about 12 blocks from the financial district.

I would not bring your bike without guaranteed self storage, I had many bikes stolen while living in Denver.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Check out Extended Stay America Hotels. Some locations will let you sign a lease for month + stays, avoiding hotel taxes. I have done this recently for sub $900/month. Not luxurious by any means but comfortable. Small kitchens make basic cooking possible.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Oh yeah, and this board is done for Colorado folks really... you might try posting in the Colorado Front Range Forums on MTBR you might get some moar better responses and ideas. I'll vouch for ya.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Tentatively in for the last week of August. I just got approached by the bank (same one) for another role more focused on retail investors. Details as I get closer, but I will likely be driving up for a solid week in Denver area.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Tentatively in for the last week of August. I just got approached by the bank (same one) for another role more focused on retail investors. Details as I get closer, but I will likely be driving up for a solid week in Denver area.
You'll be up here for a week or so? Sweet! You should totally bring your bike(s), maybe camp a little, and do some riding. Heck bring the DH bike and maybe you can race the MSC finals at SolVista...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I need to confirm the interview, but it looks pretty good (the interview and trip, not the actual job). I'll be bringing my 575 as my DH just cracked and my DJ has a broken fork... been a rough week for the bikes.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
did you find a hobo village yet or are you staying at a place with running water?