Quantcast

Denver neighborhoods

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok CO monkeys-

Help is requested. I don't know too much about Denver other than my sister's commute from Highlands Ranch to Aurora is ridiculous, and that Aurora itself near my future workplace (225/Colfax) is a pretty ****ty place.

So where should I live? I was thinking Stapleton as a starting point…

Background: I'm 32, married, have a 1 year old daughter with possibly another kid or two in the next few years, so clearly want a quiet/non-happening district with good schools. Workplace will be at 225/Colfax, basically (UC Denver Anschutz campus). I'd like a short commute, and have largely given up on the possibility of a light rail commute from 225/Parker Rd (Nine Mile station, to open in 2016).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I lived in the block between Colfax and 6th Ave and to the Peoria for a while.

It was uhhhhh......interesting, to say the least. :weee:

On the plus side of being in the Aurora area, you're only ever a few minutes away from Chubbys at Abilene and Mississippi. I miss that place.

That's all I can really input. But I can say that compared to here in Toronto and a few other places I've been, commuting in the Denver area is super easy. The "rush hour" is a breeze compared to here. The roads are designed pretty well.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You could be living closer to downtown and have an easy commute.
Unfortunately I don't know jack about area schools nor this "non-happening" thing.

Budget will be in play, obviously.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Commute is a big priority. I think I read that 40% of households in Stapleton have a young kid. I think we'd fit in there. :D (My sister had said just that to me some months early in a semi-derogatory manner, I suspect, but she's probably right.)

I'd be happy to spend $2,500 or less on rent. Looking for something with 4 bedrooms.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I hate to be the one to say it... but you're gonna have to make the best of it. Probably one of the worst locations to work if interested in a short commute *and* good schools.

Stapleton will probably have decent elementary options, but...it's DPS and things will likely go into the weeds at Middle School and above.

Your best bet is probably in the Cherry Creek school district down around Greenwood Village, Centennial, etc.

Are you going to be working regular banker-hours?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My hope is that the Stapleton schools will grow up with the neighborhood as the glut of yuppies' kids make their way through ahead of Mariko + future progeny of mine.

Yeah, regular hours + 4-5 weekends per year. Nothing overnight any more (as has been the case for the last year or two already, thank teh baby FSM).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My hope is that the Stapleton schools will grow up with the neighborhood as the glut of yuppies' kids make their way through ahead of Mariko + future progeny of mine.
I admire your optimism.

Yeah, regular hours + 4-5 weekends per year. Nothing overnight any more (as has been the case for the last year or two already, thank teh baby FSM).
Living anywhere east of the Platte River makes Baby Jesus weep. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I lived in the block between Colfax and 6th Ave and to the Peoria for a while.

It was uhhhhh......interesting, to say the least. :weee:

On the plus side of being in the Aurora area, you're only ever a few minutes away from Chubbys at Abilene and Mississippi. I miss that place.
nothing beats the night life on colfax.....nothing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Slim, expensive pickings:

Would make for a great commute for me and nearly walkable distance to Montessori preschool for Jessica + Mariko, though. Seeing these $300k house prices makes me nearly weep with joy, having my brain calibrated for Seattle and Long Island.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Each red person flag denotes that a sex offender lives there. It's like, whoa.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Stapleton only has 4 flags in the whole area.

I'm really digging Stapleton the more I read about it.

Small lots but lots of park greenspace, light rail coming in 2016 (with light rail on a connecting line similarly coming in 2016 to my workplace!), a community climbing wall and 3 acre dog park in addition to 4 or 5 swimming pools. Sounds like a little yuppie-with-kids planned enclave in a good location for my commute eastward, and that's exactly what we want.

:thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
One potential downside is the HOA, but the fees are pretty low (~$36/mo? for a house, iirc + an initial assessment on sale). Said fees do not cover snow removal from alleys and all of these houses have garages opening on alleys, but that's what I bought the Land Cruiser for, eh? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Realtor says we are in for a 12 month lease. Booyah.

(This means I successfully hid our unpleasant experience with our NY landlord throughout the application/vetting process. I put down our current landlord--my mother in law--and our institutional landlord, my old hospital, the same one that gave us that awful roach infested apartment.)

We'll be on the east side of Stapleton, so will get to see what this is all about. The amenities seem to be central and west.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What is the west side, Golden area like? Potential new employer has an office there. There is the potential to spend significant time out there.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You wanted to live in Denver/Aurora. :D

To be fair - there are a lot of red flags no matter where you look...

One of those markers is an old dude that lived behind me, off of Hoffman in the lower right hand corner. I remember going out for a walk once, only to find half of the Aurora police department doing a sweep through the neighborhood, on foot. Quickest I've ever done a U-turn and locked the door. :rofl:

On the plus side of working at that hospital, they bull dozed the trailer park that was across the street from it. My god that place scary. Especially with it located right next to some projects.

On a positive note, you'll enjoy all the outdoor space, walking/bike paths, food etc etc in the Denver area. Toronto just doesn't compare. This city sucks. I know I miss it and waking up to a view of the mountains, even if I lived a block from Colfax.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Golden smells like magic unicorns, and besides the wind always blows out of the mtns (west > east).
I've honestly never noticed a stink from Coors even when riding above it on North Table mtn.

Last edited:

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I'm going to jump in here and ask a similar question....

I've been awarded a position as a wetland biologist out there with an office in Lakewood. I'm 34 and we've got baby momma, a 1 year old and a couple of dogs tagging along. We're looking to rent for the first year and then decide if we want to buy or pack up and return to East Tennessee. I'm your stereotypical mountain biking/snowboarding/trout fishing hippie scientist who drives a Tacoma w/ a camper shell .... and now I've even procreated!

So, where would you look? We're shooting to keep it on the cheaper side as I'm still having sticker shock compared to Knoxville. And everything on craigslist looks to be a scam. I wouldn't mind a little of a commute if we don't have to live in a dump. Or can anyone recommend a realtor who could maybe help steer me in a general direction.

I'd like to be able to get a place shored up so we can just make one move instead of me heading out there for a couple of weeks and then having to head back to collect the family.

Thanks fellas,

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
The new office will be near W Alamenda and Union. I'm currently accustomed to a 30 minute commute here in Tennessee. And, I grew up in the N Va. area where long ass commutes are the norm, but I am hoping to avoid the 1 hour + drives.

Budget is looking at $1500/mo. I don't know if that is doable out there or not, but my mortgage in Knoxville on a 3 bed house in a nice neighborhood is about $800 - so I'm preparing for a shock! The good thing the new job is it also includes a nice little pay bump.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
That's right by Green Mountain Park. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a place within or below your budget within 15 minutes of your office. If you search craigslist for rentals, look around Green Mtn or western Lakewood, South side of Golden. You'll find something.