Quantcast

Deore Mechanical Disc?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I know the Deore Hyrdrolics are the "miracle brake," but what about the mechanicals? I found the set for $120, and thats cheap. I'm looking for somthing to put on a TRAIL bike i'm building up.

Is it worth it?

Is there anything cheaper that works?

Amazon Linky

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
The Deore cable accuated brakes are pretty devcent...

I would suggest seeing if you can pick up a pair of the Avid mechanical disc brakes... Avid makes THE BEST mechanical disc brake in my oppinion. Avids usually seem to be around 100 to 130 a wheel.
But dang... 120 for the pair of Deores isnt that bad.

ANother thing I like about AVID is you can run a hayes 8" rotor and hayes 8" adapter w/o any issues.

Andrew

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've only seen those Deore Mechs a couple of times but I wasn't impressed. Especially for trials riding I think you will want something with more power.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BigMike said:
I know the Deore Hyrdrolics are the "miracle brake,"
i don't think so at all. They're pretty weak really. Great modulation, but as far as power goes, they're actually fairly feeble.
You can always try to find some hydraulics for a song, i just let go of a set of deore calipers for 20 bucks.

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
the deore mechanical are not powerfull enough for trial riding...i used to have a set and they were not strong enough to stop me on flat ground(i'm 200lbs) then i've setup the brakes on my GF's bike and she was always complaining about lack of power (she's 125lbs)...so it's fair to say they're crap!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
BigMike said:
I know the Deore Hyrdrolics are the "miracle brake," but what about the mechanicals? I found the set for $120, and thats cheap. I'm looking for somthing to put on a trial bike i'm building up.
Is it worth it?
Is there anything cheaper that works?
There's a guy on Ebay that sells Avid Mechs. fairly close to what you see the Deore's for. Keep checking the auctions. I picked up a 160mm set several months ago for $130-Buy it now. The only other thing you may have to buy would be an adapter for your fork, depending on what you are running. I'll check when I get home tonight to see if I can find his Ebay user name.

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
I would still see if you could find a pair of Avids for a decent price. I have seen many mechanical disc brakes in the short 6 years I have wrenched. None of them have close to the Avids. They just have it down right. The pad adjustment is super simple. Once they are set up, and adjusted after the cable breaks in, then they are basicly maitence free.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
berkshire_rider said:
There's a guy on Ebay that sells Avid Mechs. fairly close to what you see the Deore's for. Keep checking the auctions. I picked up a 160mm set several months ago for $130-Buy it now. The only other thing you may have to buy would be an adapter for your fork, depending on what you are running. I'll check when I get home tonight to see if I can find his Ebay user name.
$127.50 Buy-It-Now plus shipping

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Skookum said:
i don't think so at all. They're pretty weak really. Great modulation, but as far as power goes, they're actually fairly feeble.
You can always try to find some hydraulics for a song, i just let go of a set of deore calipers for 20 bucks.

I beg to differ. I have a set, and they stop my fat ass just fine.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
another vote for the avids here. esp. if you can get them for not much more money.

setup/work so much better than the deores.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
chicodude01 said:
I beg to differ. I have a set, and they stop my fat ass just fine.
Deore LX calipers never gave me that "oh ****" stopping power, i bought the phased out 4 piston XT caliper and i'm much happier.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Skookum said:
Deore LX calipers never gave me that "oh ****" stopping power, i bought the phased out 4 piston XT caliper and i'm much happier.
The two piston new XT's seem to be okay on my XC bike, but I'd want something more substantial on anything more. Probably Hope..mmm....Hooope. Or the 4-Piston XTs.

damnit jim

Monkey
Jun 22, 2002
Find hell, make a left
I have a set and they work O.K. at best when dry. what ever you do do not get them wet. We went riding in the rain, Noble canyon if you know socal, I had no brakes what so ever once they were wet, hell... v-brakes would have been better. I think that it was the most out of control I've been on my bike, just to stay alive. I went to the LSB and ask why?... after a phone call to shimano we got to the bottom of WTF! the rotors are not heat treated and require shimano only brake pads. even worse shimano knows about the wet weather performance.

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
damnit jim said:
I have a set and they work O.K. at best when dry. what ever you do do not get them wet. We went riding in the rain, Noble canyon if you know socal, I had no brakes what so ever once they were wet, hell... v-brakes would have been better. I think that it was the most out of control I've been on my bike, just to stay alive. I went to the LSB and ask why?... after a phone call to shimano we got to the bottom of WTF! the rotors are not heat treated and require shimano only brake pads. even worse shimano knows about the wet weather performance.

Yeap... exactly. Nice ZIM avatar.

Good luck with the Hopes!!!

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i know your not getting mechs anymore, but this is my theory:
avid mechs= :D :thumb:
any other mechs= :eviltongu :angry: :stosh: :nuts: