Quantcast

Department of Corrections

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Anyone here work for a correctional facility? When manimal was tubby before he became a cop I think he did.

Anyhow I have been recruited to apply for an entry level position with the department of corrections as a level one guard. The pay is $17 an hour which is only a little less than I make now, however future earning and advancement opportunities would blow my current job away in less than 5 years.

Then there is the commute - I commute 100 miles round trip 5 days a week. The local correctional facility is just 7 miles from my house. I could get 8 hours of my life back each week and... I would get overtime. Currently I am not paid overtime and work 50 hours a week...:nopity:

I have passed the written state tests and expect no problems with the physical requirements. I still have to do the psycological examination but if I pass that it seems likely that I will be offered a position.

The problem is I know ZERO about the job or that type of work. I know no one who works that sort of job.

Any help or advice?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Keep diggin' stinky.

Everyone I know who has worked as a jail guard has hated it. Basically every day you go to work, about 90% of the people in the building would be happy to see you dead. However I have known a few people who used it as a stepping stone to a street cop job, which is far better, although you still pretty much deal with the scum of the earth on a daily basis.

J

JRB

Echo said:
Everyone I know who has worked as a jail guard has hated it. Basically every day you go to work, about 90% of the people in the building would be happy to see you dead. However I have known a few people who used it as a stepping stone to a street cop job, which is far better, although you still pretty much deal with the scum of the earth on a daily basis.
:stupid: I would not want to do it.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I have a buddy that did it for a couple years and hated it, but as Echo sez, it CAN lead elsewhere and might be very educational.

Being a prison riot hostage would suck though...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yeah... the job oportunities where I live are not that great. I don't hate my job now but I do hate the long commute and unpredictable hours. I'm not sure if I would care how many people wanted me dead... I'm not sure anyone other than MMike has ever wanted me dead. I know I am not ever going back to IT or any sort of developement project. That I grew to hate in a pretty bad way.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One of my best friends is a CO in New York. He was first assigned to Sing-Sing, a very unpopular workchoice because of its proximity to NYC. Many of the worst prisoners were assigned there, and housing costs were exhoribant.

Later he worked at Greenhaven, another max-sec about 150 miles from NYC. My friend lived in a dorm for CO's for a week at a time.

He is now assigned closer to home at Albion, a woman's max-sec which housed Amy Fisher. He doesn't comment much about his improvement on safety, but he does complain he does not have a swing partner, so he has to work one shift at a time, vs double shifts only 3 days a week.

My friend comes from CO background, but it is a tough life. You need to be mentally tough to do the job, obviously, and keep in mind that even if you are not attacked, every prisoner is going to f*ck with you constantly.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Serial Midget said:
Anyone here work for a correctional facility? When manimal was tubby before he became a cop I think he did.

Anyhow I have been recruited to apply for an entry level position with the department of corrections as a level one guard. The pay is $17 an hour which is only a little less than I make now, however future earning and advancement opportunities would blow my current job away in less than 5 years.

Then there is the commute - I commute 100 miles round trip 5 days a week. The local correctional facility is just 7 miles from my house. I could get 8 hours of my life back each week and... I would get overtime. Currently I am not paid overtime and work 50 hours a week...:nopity:

I have passed the written state tests and expect no problems with the physical requirements. I still have to do the psycological examination but if I pass that it seems likely that I will be offered a position.

The problem is I know ZERO about the job or that type of work. I know no one who works that sort of job.

Any help or advice?
No, don't do it. Its a depressing miserable situation where you get to see the worst of the worst...and the inmates too.

Then you still have to pass the psychological examination...:rolleyes:

I vote no. (as if my opinion matters :) )

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
A couple of the guys I was in Army Reserves with were COs. They seemed to like it actually. The one guy was built like a brick ****house and funny as hell and the others that worked with him said the prisoners never gave him any BS. One of the other guys left the max security prison to do the drill sergeant style CO job at a juvenile detention facility and he liked his job way too much. I get the feeling he was picked on a lot in basic and when he was on active duty and he was now returning the favor.

Some of the guys I went to high school with are now working in a new max security juvenile facility in my home town. Don't know how that's going for them though.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
'Mig I know a guy who works at Stafford Creek (I assume thats what yer talking about). He likes it. He's a pretty normal guy. You could do worse I guess.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Serial Midget said:
Holy F... thats a lot of pressure!!! :oink:
Just like it is in the can.

No double entendre intended, of course...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Seems like it would be more of a dangerous stressful job at a max prison like Monroe/Shelton/Walla Walla. If it was for a minimum camp it doesn't seem like it would be a bad gig, most are populated by kids and short timers.

Oh yah and you could spend more time on here, we could reunite "the band"....

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
My sis is a guard at the women's facility out here. There is one mentally disturbed inmate that throws poop on a daily basis. Sometimes she lets the rooks do their first search so they can find all the nasty stuff like used girly toys. She says it's fun to see the expressions on their faces when they realize what they are touching.