Quantcast

Derailer caught in spokes

Asuna

Chimp
Apr 13, 2008
I was on a trail yesterday and a stick flew up and wrapped around the derailer and hauled it into he spokes. I was going up a hill and in the middle of a pedal when it happened. It bent it upside down at a 180, It also bent the part of the frame where the derailer mounts onto. It also chewed up the quick release end where you adjust.

Do you think its going to be an expensive fix? Or should I start looking for a new bike?:monkeydance:

I was on a trail yesterday and a stick flew up and wrapped around the derailer and hauled it into he spokes. I was going up a hill and in the middle of a pedal when it happened. It bent it upside down at a 180, It also bent the part of the frame where the derailer mounts onto. It also chewed up the quick release end where you adjust.

Do you think its going to be an expensive fix? Or should I start looking for a new bike?:monkeydance:
It's a pretty common failure. You'll need a new derailleur, probably a derailleur hanger, and perhaps the wheel will need to be trued. If you go to a shop, the repair could run something on the order of $150-. New bikes run way more than that.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Even if the frame is tweaked, it's going to buy parts rather than a derailleur. Your LBS may not do this, but I've had a couple people come into the shop with a similar problem. Some companies use hangers that have a really large surface area (and usually more than one screw holding it on) which can lead to frames getting tweaked when there is impact or damage to the derailleur or hanger. I've modified some frames to accept different hangers that won't have the same issue, the only drawback is that the hanger may bend a bit easier....but for most people that isn't a huge problem. Just make sure that either you or your LBS also checks the welds at the end of the drive-side stays to make sure they're still ok (doubt that they won't be, but if the frame is tweaked, it doesn't hurt to give it a good check).

Asuna

Chimp
Apr 13, 2008
Thanks guys. I have my eye on a new bike Giant Yukon FX but was planning on getting it this winter.

The derailer mount is actually part of the rear end. I had to unbolt it and tie it up with my spare tube :( So I could push it out of the woods. . . . .

So I am hoping the goose makes her through the summer.

Asuna

Chimp
Apr 13, 2008
LBS says its looking good. He assumes the derailer will go right back on and work again.

Its good to have faith in your LBS.