Quantcast

derailleur query

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
So.... derailleurs kinda suck, right? They just hang off of your bike, extremely close to the ground, asking to be torn off by an angry rock. Which begs the question: why buy an expensive derailleur if they break so often and so easily?

So my question is: is it worth the money to buy a Sram X.O for my DH bike? How durable are they? Or should I save my money and get an X.9 instead?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I slammed the hell out of my derailer this last weekend on a rock. It doesn't look very bad, but it's bent beyond repair. One more XT for the spare-small-parts bin. I've had my run with srams as well, i'm not going to ever pay more than about $40 for a derailer, not with how many rocks are out there.

It's too bad the derailer can't be ABOVE the hub, instead of below it...i wonder if a rohloff tensioner would work above the axle..?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IMO, this is dependant on the person. If you occasionally (or more frequently) break derailers, there is nothing that you can buy that is really going to fix the problem. A stronger derailer will just mean more hangers broken or frames bent. In other words, if you know you break em, I don't see how anything is going to stand up much better, since it still hangs below the bike.

If you ride in a place that doesn't have a lot of obstacles and you don't break them frequently, then sure it might be worth it to spend more $$$ on em.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
105's RULE the dh world - super-short cage, 30-some odd dollars at most online shops, etc. I love 'em to death.

If you're using SRAM you're stuck with a mid-cage until they come out with some kind of roadie derailleur but YEAH, get the X.7 definitely......

Running XTR long-cages on your DH bike was a pretty big fad back in what, like 1999, 2000? There's another one I'm glad to see go....:rolleyes:

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
putting on a Shimano haters flame suit...

If you're not against rapid-rise and you happen to have a 10mm thru axle (Saint or Hadley), you can run a Saint mech. They're silly burly and since they don't mount to your derailleur hanger, you won't be busting them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Incubus
They're silly burly and since they don't mount to your derailleur hanger, you won't be busting them.
Ok..but what will you be busting instead, since all of that force has to go somewhere?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Jm_
Ok..but what will you be busting instead, since all of that force has to go somewhere?
well hopefully the derailler can swing backwards at the axle. The thing with the other Shimano deraillers is they want to fold into themselves.

I think unless we start hearing reports from Saint users, its not much use speculating on the consequences.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Acadian
X.0 or X.9...either or! They are both great. I haven't used/tried the X.9 yet since my X.0 is still going strong! :thumb:
Yeah I kept breaking derailleurs too......until I got an X.0 last summer. It's still on. I know I've hit it because it has scratches. I've broken shimano xtrs and everything below but somehow this X.0 thing just keeps on ticking. Something to think about maybe.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Like DßR said, 105's for life... short cage = less likely to get bashed, and less chainslap; plus when you are forced to retire one they only cost 30 bucks or so. I am interested in trying out a full SRAM drivetrain, but I just dont have the cash.

Feb 29, 2004
England
Originally posted by kidwoo
Yeah I kept breaking derailleurs too......until I got an X.0 last summer. It's still on. I know I've hit it because it has scratches. I've broken shimano xtrs and everything below but somehow this X.0 thing just keeps on ticking. Something to think about maybe.
mabey you were subconsiously avoiding things that would rip it off.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by zedro
I think unless we start hearing reports from Saint users, its not much use speculating on the consequences.
:confused: Isn't speculation the foundation on which this board is built?:D

If I could get my hands on a freaking Saint axle, you'd have at least one report.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I tryed the cheap derailleur method. I wrecked my XT so I bought a deore to replace it. It lasted maybe 2 hours at whistler and never really shifted right. I think the best bang for your buck is either 105 or SRAM X7. I just bent the bolt on my new X9. It still shifts fine but it pisses me off. The X9 uses and alum bolt and the X7 uses a steel one which makes me think the X7 might actually be more durable. I'm going to make a SS replacment for my X9. Someday we will all use internal gearing and this conversation will be moot (staring blankly at the heavens)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Village Idiot
mabey you were subconsiously avoiding things that would rip it off.
While it is true that spending so much on a derailleur probably had a subconscious influence on my riding style, I don't think it affected the thought processes of the bike as is bucked, skipped and rolled down a few rock gardens solo while I was trying to figure out which way was up in some manzanita bushes...........have to ask the bike though:p

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There are a couple of Saints installed at my lbs and they seem to hold up VERY well. I wish Shimano would have made the Saint more user friendly like with a 12mm axle or something that is more common.

But I guess that would go against everything Shimano stands for, right?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by jimmydean
There are a couple of Saints installed at my lbs and they seem to hold up VERY well. I wish Shimano would have made the Saint more user friendly like with a 12mm axle or something that is more common.

But I guess that would go against everything Shimano stands for, right?
its better that they went with 10mm, that way you can still use (or make) step-down axles for whatever size is needed.

The axles still need to be custom anyways with TA setups, since companies havent standardized dropout widths anyways.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by buildyourown
I tryed the cheap derailleur method. I wrecked my XT so I bought a deore to replace it. It lasted maybe 2 hours at whistler and never really shifted right. I think the best bang for your buck is either 105 or SRAM X7. I just bent the bolt on my new X9. It still shifts fine but it pisses me off. The X9 uses and alum bolt and the X7 uses a steel one which makes me think the X7 might actually be more durable. I'm going to make a SS replacment for my X9. Someday we will all use internal gearing and this conversation will be moot (staring blankly at the heavens)
Whistler claimed a Deore and an XT derailleur of mine in one day, and I cashed in another XT just 2 days prior up in Kaslo. I just switched to Sram triggers and went X9 der and X7 shifter because I blow up shifters more than derailleurs, but I have no info yet on how the Sramn stuff holds up. I know that the Deore replacement was complete crap compared to the XT, but I found the XT to be mush more durable than XTR. Often times the weight savings for the top of the line stuff does end up sacrificing some durability. I personally go with top end stuff on the XC race bike, but for the DH and trail bikes, X9 / XT is IMO the best balance between performance, durability, and price.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have been running my XTR for 3 seasons....I guess I am not hard on derailers. :D It came with my bike but if it busted I would probably buy a Deore to maybe XT most likely LX.

My old GT RTS came with STX RC derailer and that was harshed on for 3 seasons of water crossings, brush jamming, clay mud clogging years at school. I even bent it up over my chainstay once on a ride. I kicked it off with my heal and it never skipped a beat. It kept shifting no matter what I threw at it.

I have a spare Deore in my tool box to bail my arse out ona race weekend.

I have seen expensive SRAMS tore off by rocks. Sure others would break to but I saw 3 SRAMS in 3 runs from 1 teammate meet their demise. That gets expensive....real expensive. Bad luck? Maybe. Plastic Derailer? Yes.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Plastic Derailer? Yes.
Just to be fair. The older SRAM stuff was thermoplastic (aka plastic) and pretty easy to snap. They didn't bend so I guess thats a good thing?
The new X9 I have is all alum and the construction looks much better than years past.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I have seen expensive SRAMS tore off by rocks. Sure others would break to but I saw 3 SRAMS in 3 runs from 1 teammate meet their demise. That gets expensive....real expensive. Bad luck? Maybe. Plastic Derailer? Yes.
True, but it's better than the derailer staying in one peice and taking part of your bike with it (or bending dropouts) when you finally hit a rock. I used to run SRAM derailers, I think they break easier, but my shimano ones seem to bend instead of break, and that's not always repairable either, so in the end, it's pretty split down the middle from the dozens of derailers that I've broken over the years.

When I ride south mountain, I simply have to assume that my derailer is a disposable part on my bike, and that if I ride the whole day and it stays on the bike in one peice, I got lucky. It's worth it to ride there (and in other similer places), but you simply have to assume that it is going to break, and if it doesn't then it's a nice bonus!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Jm_
True, but it's better than the derailer staying in one peice and taking part of your bike with it (or bending dropouts) when you finally hit a rock. I used to run SRAM derailers, I think they break easier, but my shimano ones seem to bend instead of break, and that's not always repairable either, so in the end, it's pretty split down the middle from the dozens of derailers that I've broken over the years.

When I ride south mountain, I simply have to assume that my derailer is a disposable part on my bike, and that if I ride the whole day and it stays on the bike in one peice, I got lucky. It's worth it to ride there (and in other similer places), but you simply have to assume that it is going to break, and if it doesn't then it's a nice bonus!
Teammate had the top of the line derailer on at the time and went through three....over $300 is unacceptable for any derailer for partial runs.

Any derailer breaking is going to F up your drive train and nearby components. I just shook my head when he had that much trouble on a derailer line in one day....definately bitters me slightly towards them at that time. Now that the new ones incorporate more metal...are they less prone to snapping? :confused: I hope so.

I am glad they have thrown some metal in their new ones though as the old style (2 seasons ago?) were to brittle to be viable for DH...as a light XC derailer sure....just not DH. a bent derailer can be nursed back....and snapped derailer cannot. I am glad SRAM changed their design.

Rhino

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Teammate had the top of the line derailer on at the time and went through three....over $300 is unacceptable for any derailer for partial runs.
To be fair, the "top of the line" derailleur at that point must have been the 9.0SL which was, by all accounts and my own experience, crap.

The new SRAM's are VERY different, they actually use metal. :p From what people are saying they're a lot more durable.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by DßR
To be fair, the "top of the line" derailleur at that point must have been the 9.0SL which was, by all accounts and my own experience, crap.

The new SRAM's are VERY different, they actually use metal. :p From what people are saying they're a lot more durable.
Good to hear. But $100 a "pop" was rediculous for DH. :)

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I've had no problems whatsoever with my old ESP 9.0sl.

That's cause it's been in a drawer in my shop with the shifters for the last three years.

Go single speed.

:p :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
and i have no problems with my SRAM 9.0 front derailer.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Jm_
and i have no problems with my SRAM 9.0 front derailer.
Are front derailers problematic? I wear out everything else before a front derailer. :) I guess I could shift more.....:o: :p I don't see how reliability would be as much a concern with the front derailer.

The item in descussion is the rear busting/bending derailer types.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Are front derailers problematic? I wear out everything else before a front derailer. :) I guess I could shift more.....:o: :p I don't see how reliability would be as much a concern with the front derailer.

The item in descussion is the rear busting/bending derailer types.
I'm changing that.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

I don't care what kind of rear mech you have. If you hit it three times in one day, its done. You can't fault SRAM for that. Granted, I would rather have them bend then break as you can single speed it if they break.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
quote from this weekend to me;

DH guy in back of me; "damn, you slammed your derailer on that rock back there!"

Me; "yeah, I dont care, it's already bent and doesn't work".

Derailers=evil.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
if your cassette is 27 teeth at its biggest then you should run a road deralier, they have a stronger spring than mtb deraliers.
if you run up to 34 teeth get a mid cage like the xt. lx works just as fine but they only come in long cage.
the xtr and espessially dura ace have stronger springs in them than the others.
dunno about sram.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by buildyourown
I don't care what kind of rear mech you have. If you hit it three times in one day, its done. You can't fault SRAM for that. Granted, I would rather have them bend then break as you can single speed it if they break.
but brittle, they should not be. *yoda smilie* :D ....and the old style that was almost 100% "thermo"plastic would just fail when it would contact something. I can see gouges in my XTR that says it was not had a pretty life....but it apperantly has never had the right force appplied to mangle it. The OLD Sram just broke....no maybe about it....crack, snap, see ya later Mr derailer.

I am guessing that a Shimano derailer at that time would at least given him a run. I hear their new stuff is better....but that old stuff was brittle and light (selling point), but brittle none the less. Oh well.....it was an expensive experiment.

and yes I would rather limp back also...looks like SRAM can give you a chance to do that now.

Rhino

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by rockwool
if your cassette is 27 teeth at its biggest then you should run a road deralier, they have a stronger spring than mtb deraliers.
if you run up to 34 teeth get a mid cage like the xt. lx works just as fine but they only come in long cage.
the xtr and espessially dura ace have stronger springs in them than the others.
dunno about sram.
No, 27t is what Shimano "says" but the short-cage 105's I use work fine with a 11-34 cassette. It will rub some on the 34t but I don't really care, it'll probaby be dead in a month anyway. 32t is more manageable for it.

If you're using a single-ring or tighter double-ring setup, there's no reason not to use a short-cage roadie. For a 22-36 setup, you probably gotta go with a mid-cage mtn derailleur, unless you have a real tight cassette.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I've never run a road der on a mtb before, does one need to do anything special to do this? I've got an 8 speed rapidfire shifter if that makes a difference.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I just got the x.0 and I friggen love it!!! I used be afraid to shift, but now it's just a flick of the wrist to whateva gear I feakin want!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Superdeft
I've never run a road der on a mtb before, does one need to do anything special to do this? I've got an 8 speed rapidfire shifter if that makes a difference.
nothing special, just bolt it up, and shorten your chain......

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I have a drawer of bent and broken shimano deraillers. I now have 2 bikes with full sram. In the future im sure ill have a drawer full of bent and broken shimano and sram deraillers.

BYO, if you make an upgrade for your x9, make some extras for the team. Ill have to see what your talkign about this weekend.......

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I run shimano Deore rear deraileurs on all my bikes, that way when I do blow them up, not that often anyway, it doesn't cost that much. And I don't care what anyone says about Deore, it may not shift as crisply as XTR but it always gives me the gear I ask for when I ask for it.

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
In my experience as a former XC racer the deraileur is not as important as the shifters. You have better shifting with a high quality shifter and a crappy deraileur than with a crappy shifter and a bling-bling deraileur. Personally I would never buy a XO or XTR der. for my DH bike since all the places I ride are the habitat of a special breed of tiny deraileur-smashing gnomes.