Quantcast

Derailleur question.

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
I am in the process of fixing up my old Kona Lana'i for my dad so he can get on the trails with me. I am down to basicly two things left: fix the derailleurs so you can shift properly and get the wheels trued so that they pass through the rim brakes fine.

I have pretty much fixed my rear derailleur but I am having touble with the front. I have tightened the cable several times, with trial and error (much error), but I think the problem is that the spring used for pulling it back down is not working to its fullest. My question is if I can get a lube for it, just oil it up, or is it time to buy a new one?

Thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Front derailleur adjustment is one of the most complicated jobs on a bike.

Besides cable tension, you need to worry about the position of the cage and high/low adjustment. If any of these are wrong, you won't be able to get the front derailleur adjustment right.

I like this page for further explanation: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
Ok thanks sanjuro. I am going to try this in the morning and if no luck, I will take it in to my LBS.

and thanks for that site I didnt know they had all those things on there, its a great reference site. :thumb: