Quantcast

Descisions

splat

Nam I am
I was just at my LBS

and he has 2 2008 Raleigh Competiton Frames for $500 , with Fork, Head set and seat post.

a 55cm and a 59cm, I currently ride a 59 cm raleigh.

it is tempting

Frame
ACE Evolution Direct Connect Carbon
Fork
Easton EC70 Carbon w/Alloy Steer Tube

thoughts ??

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i know this feeling , really think about it . do you really need a new frame that bad and the $ issue . if you need a new frame and it works into your budget i say buy 1.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If yellow is more your thing, I am pretty sure we have a bunch of the the Raleigh team frames in the back room. Some used, some new, with Ec90 forks and stuff. There might be a 59 in there, but, I would say that 59 is much too large for you anyway.

ymmv.

splat

Nam I am
If yellow is more your thing, I am pretty sure we have a bunch of the the Raleigh team frames in the back room. Some used, some new, with Ec90 forks and stuff. There might be a 59 in there, but, I would say that 59 is much too large for you anyway.

ymmv.
58/59 is what I have been riding for the last 30 Years. and the guy who originally fit me , I think he knew his stuff , his name was Jim Hoyt of Richardson ( Dallas) Bike Mart.

tell met more about these team frames :)

Not that I need a New frame , I'm just a Bike whore

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
58/59 is what I have been riding for the last 30 Years. and the guy who originally fit me , I think he knew his stuff , his name was Jim Hoyt of Richardson ( Dallas) Bike Mart.

tell met more about these team frames :)

Not that I need a New frame , I'm just a Bike whore
Hmmm, that is strage...I wouldn't think you'd be on a 58 or 59. How tall are you?

Make sure the TT length and other measurements on your old frame match up if you want to go for the 59... size numbers can be deceiving sometimes.

Seems like a good deal, though. According to Raleigh, weight is near 1kg, which is pretty light. Don't know much more than that.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

These. Not sure what sizes are kicking around, but they are what the team we sponsor upgraded from this year. Bike fit has changed immensely with the advent of intgerated brake/shift levers, fwiw.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
How tall are you, Splat?

And I should point out that road frame geometries have changed significantly over the decades.

When I was 18, I bought a 58 center-to-center steel frame which was two or three centimeters too big, which meant I should have been on a 55-56cm.

My current road bike, a Seven Axiom is 50cm center-to-center with an 11 degree sloping top tube. The bike before that was a 53cm center-to-center Elite aluminum frame with a straight top tube.

BTW, I am 5'10.5".

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How tall are you, Splat?

And I should point out that road frame geometries have changed significantly over the decades.

When I was 18, I bought a 58 center-to-center steel frame which was two or three centimeters too big, which meant I should have been on a 55-56cm.

My current road bike, a Seven Axiom is 50cm center-to-center with an 11 degree sloping top tube. The bike before that was a 53cm center-to-center Elite aluminum frame with a straight top tube.

BTW, I am 5'10.5".
i agree.

trying to squeeze that extra half inch huh?

splat

Nam I am
Bike fit has changed immensely with the advent of intgerated brake/shift levers, fwiw.
I beleive that, but wouldn't that really only affect top tubr lenght/stem size ?

How tall are you, Splat?

BTW, I am 5'10.5".
I don't like a slopping top tube.

I'm 6' -0 " with a 34 " inseam.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I'm just shy of 6' (like 5'11.75") with a 33" inseam and ride a 56cm TT with a 100mm stem, 75mm reach bar, and 7900 D/A (long reach). The distance from my bb (center) to top of saddle is 79cm.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
it sounds to me that some are trying to fit Splat based on themselves. we all have different body dimensions, leg inseam is one thing, but upper body can be different. short torso, short arms.... short torso, long arms etc. when i got my Wojcik built, Ted measured me at his shop using basic (or at the time standard) measuring procedure. i worked out to a 59 c/c seat tube with a 57.3 tt. that was 10+ yrs ago. i'm sure at this time my body has changed quite a bit and that i probably could use a smaller ride. but my point is that it's tough to judge someone's fit based on really incomplete info. and i know we're all trying to help Splat out, but that's my 2 pennies worth.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
splat - go with what fits for you and what feels comfy.

Have you ever seen the saddle to bar drop on -dustin's bikes he's posted in here. Extreme saddle to bar drop would be putting it mildly based on the latest spooky he posted up a while ago.

Exhibit A:

You know you better than anyone via the internet can know you. Go with what you know and feel will work.

Best,

Mark