Quantcast

Design/Art Monkeys

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Help the Mamma Monkey out please....my artist bailed on me and I have to get this finalized ASAP :(

I am heading up my school's Tour de Cure team for the American Diabetes Association. We've got pricing and want to order customized jerseys but my artist flaked and isn't going to get me a design for the front of the jersey.

Requirements: must be able to be screenprinted in a single color (I think -- these are pretty basic jerseys). Our team name is the HLCS Eagles and we're a cycling team. Our school colors are blue and white so we'll likely go with that color scheme.

The back of the jersey is going to list the names of the local businesses who are assisting with the cost of the jerseys. The company the tour is dealing with will have their logo and the American Diabetes Association Logo on the sleeves and have given us 4 designs to choose from (see below).

Anyone want to take a stab and post me a graphic for the front of the jersey? PRETTY PLEASE???

THANKS!!!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'll be home this weekend working on a logo for another Monkey and could put a couple together then if that's not too late.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I'd like to see, just one time when someone posts a logo help thread, it would be someone actually looking for a design with money to pay a graphic artist for the services, talent and investment they have in education, hardware and software.

There are lots of great clipart sites, maybe you should use google or better yet look local, use the yellow pages, call your local screen printer or printing agency.

your asking for a professional service or hoping a hobbiest will have enough time and talent to throw something out cheaply. Wouldn't it be would be funny to see someone actually posting up that they no longer like their gynecologists and need someone to do a quick exam?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'd like to see, just one time when someone posts a logo help thread, it would be someone actually looking for a design with money to pay a graphic artist for the services, talent and investment they have in education, hardware and software.

There are lots of great clipart sites, maybe you should use google or better yet look local, use the yellow pages, call your local screen printer or printing agency.

your asking for a professional service or hoping a hobbiest will have enough time and talent to throw something out cheaply. Wouldn't it be would be funny to see someone actually posting up that they no longer like their gynecologists and need someone to do a quick exam?
There are people who have hung out together here for a long time. TS is a cool chick, and I don't mind helping her out. Just don't contribute douchy.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Thats correct.
Besides, anyone that can see stinkyboy's avatar should realize he is an "ar-teest".

He knocked that out in just a few hours.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
I have to agree with 46chief on this one.

Would you walk into a bike shop and ask the mechanic to rebuild a fork as soon as possible, for free, because the last shop you took it to dragged their heels on the job?

I would be happy to share my talents and expertise with members of the mountain biking community, but spec work and freebies don't help me fend off the mortgage lender at the end of every month. Whether the OP is 'cool' or not is irrelevant; it's a matter of understanding that there is still a great value in the expertise of a professional graphic designer or commercial artist, even though hobbyists can download any software they like for free these days.

I don't care so much about the proposition, as i am sure there are enough hobbyists on this forum with a copy of Illustrator or Photoshopwho would be happy to help, but when the title tends to direct itself towards professionals, compensation of a pat on the back is a little underwhelming.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003

Would you walk into a bike shop and ask the mechanic to rebuild a fork as soon as possible, for free, because the last shop you took it to dragged their heels on the job?

I would be happy to share my talents and expertise with members of the mountain biking community, but spec work and freebies don't help me fend off the mortgage lender at the end of every month. Whether the OP is 'cool' or not is irrelevant; it's a matter of understanding that there is still a great value in the expertise of a professional graphic designer or commercial artist, even though hobbyists can download any software they like for free these days.

I don't care so much about the proposition, as i am sure there are enough hobbyists on this forum with a copy of Illustrator or Photoshopwho would be happy to help, but when the title tends to direct itself towards professionals, compensation of a pat on the back is a little underwhelming.
Points taken. Unfortunately, this is a charity event and I can't pay anyone that's why I thought I would ask the general public. If you aren't interested in helping out a good cause then step away from the thread.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
There are people who have hung out together here for a long time. TS is a cool chick, and I don't mind helping her out. Just don't contribute douchy.
I'll be home this weekend working on a logo for another Monkey and could put a couple together then if that's not too late.
Thank you! Don't kill yourself. I really don't need anything cool. We were going to go with the image below (because I suck at this whole art thing and stole it from our school t-shirt design) ;)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Wow, you guys went to a lot of effort to say no. Especially when we have no idea what you are capable of, pro, or otherwise.

Although I agree that pros should get paid for their time, education and investment, ragging on someone who is working on behalf of a charity is childish.

Those of you that call yourselves pros and don't do the occasional pro bono job are either so far established in your career that replying to the thread or even posting on RM is a total waste of time or you don't get the importance of making connections.

" Whine, whine, whine, I'm so pro that I only have time to tell you no. "

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
People on RM help each other out all the time. Maybe MtnBikerChk should start billing out at $140/hour (three hour minimum) when people ask accounting questions. :rolleyes:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Ummmm, Treesaw is heading up her schools Tour de Cure for the American Diabetes Association and this is where you guys decide to throw your asshat in the ring? Of all the total horse$hit that is posted on here day in and day out, she politely asked for a logo for charity.
Damn, what a couple of World Chumpions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Would you walk into a bike shop and ask the mechanic to rebuild a fork as soon as possible, for free, because the last shop you took it to dragged their heels on the job.
Having worked with a lot of really talented graphic artists in the past, I'm gonna have to declare this analogy as way out of proportion.

Asking a graphic artist to do ONE simple, single color logo isn't exactly that in depth. No, you can't go autopilot on it and it needs some thought. But to compare it to a fork rebuild? I've met a lot of mechanics who can't do that. Any graphic artist worth their weight in beans can do what's being asked here. If you're going with the bike analogy, it would be comprable to a basic derailler (cable) adjustment, or maybe a brake adjustment (rim brake, not disc).

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Hey Stinkyboy-

Could a design done in Fireworks be used for print. If so maybe I could help. Most of the graphics I do are web based and I wouldn't mind a break from learning CSS and XHTML.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Hey Stinkyboy-

Could a design done in Fireworks be used for print. If so maybe I could help. Most of the graphics I do are web based and I wouldn't mind a break from learning CSS and XHTML.
Depends on the files. Ideally a print shop would want vector file(s), but if the images are high enough rez, then maybe.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Well, I don't really know anything about artistic design, vector files, etc. but the woman at the printer did tell me they'd prefer a vector file.

Here's what I have for the back of the jersey (our supporters)

Really creative huh? :busted:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
OK. Is .png an appropriate file extension ?

I hear graphic designers use the term vector files but what are those extensions specifically ?
Created in Illustrator or Freehand. Basically you can scale the image to any size without image quality loss.

T, I found a graphic online and added type. Very down and dirty, but if you want to use it, pm me your email and I will send the vector art.

Otherwise I will spend some time this weekend.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my understanding is that vector files are created by the mathematical equations of the lines & curves that define a shape and each shape's associate color, hue, etc.

raster files store information for each pixel.

This allows for vector files to retain smoothness regardless of size/scale.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Created in Illustrator or Freehand. Basically you can scale the image to any size without image quality loss.

T, I found a graphic online and added type. Very down and dirty, but if you want to use it, pm me your email and I will send the vector art.

Otherwise I will spend some time this weekend.
Have I told you lately how much you rock? :rockout:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I Love My Monkey Friends!!!!
:biggrin:

I'll make the minor revisions we talked about and get the revised files out to ya. I figured Carquest was a major sponsor, so I tried to keep their logo above the "Camelbak cul-de-sac" as I call it.

Like Santa Cruz did here:

You may want to advise your printer of this as well.

:cheers:

Edit: My pack still had 30 oz of water and a jug of booze in it that day, so it was "pullin'"

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Stinkyboy, do you use dafont.com or do you just have the stock font?
I'm a font freak and a lover of great typography and have over 240,000 fonts in my collection. A young designer at work has been begging me for them, but it took me 23 years to collect them so I dole them out as needed... :biggrin:

It's too bad that I have to hobble along until someone makes a type management program that works awesome...

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I'm a font freak and a lover of great typography and have over 240,000 fonts in my collection. A young designer at work has been begging me for them, but it took me 23 years to collect them so I dole them out as needed... :biggrin:

It's too bad that I have to hobble along until someone makes a type management program that works awesome...
Thats redonkulous, I have yet to use anything other than times new roman. I hate that font so much. Who ever decided that times new roman needed to be the standard for everything is a giant panty waste.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

Have you ever designed a font ?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Thats redonkulous, I have yet to use anything other than times new roman. I hate that font so much. Who ever decided that times new roman needed to be the standard for everything is a giant panty waste.
Ha!

Times is a great family, but I have spent several days looking through fonts to do a headline justice, but it's awesome when you find one. Like the Got Milk campaign, no one had ever heard of the font Phenix until then...

Oh, and the font that was used in the Obama campaign is called Gotham, and I have been over using it before he did.

Know your limits. Ha!

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I've done fonts for chicks of their handwriting. So much better sex than a mix tape... :monkeydance:

Oh, and I did a chalkboard font of my handwriting for a Honda cars campaign.
Stinky: Hey baby wanna see a kinky font?
Female: Oh stinky, you know your fonts make me way horny!
Stinky: This one is going to blow your mind...
Female: Oh stinky, give it to me, I want to use the crap out of that font.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
240,000 fonts?! how many families roughly?

That sounds like a management nightmare. The online tools are getting pretty good (myfonts.com for example)