Quantcast

Designing a bike rack

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Just imagine your bike casing jumps repeatedly while driving down the road.
That's a pretty bad comparison. There is no weight on the bike compared to when you have a rider on it. Plus the bumps in the road are 1/1000000 the input force of casing a jump, PLUS the rack is sitting on top of 6-10+ inches of truck suspension and there's flex in your hitch/rack as well that damps it. Trust me, the northshore/hanging rack design isn't going to do any damage to your bikes unless they are made of glass.

I've never understood the general hate for the NS style racks. They are invincible, well designed, easy to load, easy to store, and I've only had one MTB that didn't fit, but that's because that bike had about the most retarded headtube design and the lack of compatibility with the northshore rack was the least of its problems.

Also, there aren't too many was to shuttle 9 bikes and people semi legitimately (emphasis on SEMI), which we did last weekend easily with my 6 bike NS rack and my tundra.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
why is that specifically? the hooks on the fork crown or head tube seems pretty solid, less material, easier to load. although it would make it hard to load say a bmx or a road bike that didnt have a fork crown. do they have more movement of the bike itself?

I too am about to build a rack, could have started this exact thread myself. just picked up a sweet windowless van for bike trips, and sleeping in the parking lot at whistler. not having ever used a rack of this type, I'm not aware of the pluses and minuses of each configuration. being able to take 6 bikes would be pretty killer. I rarely want to go on a DH trip without one other bike so 2 bikes x 3 people is a full load. I would need it to haul bmx bikes too so that kinda puts a damper on the fork crown mount.
You can hang BMX bikes by the bars. I do it with my kid's bikes all the time.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
That's a pretty bad comparison. There is no weight on the bike compared to when you have a rider on it. Plus the bumps in the road are 1/1000000 the input force of casing a jump, PLUS the rack is sitting on top of 6-10+ inches of truck suspension and there's flex in your hitch/rack as well that damps it. Trust me, the northshore/hanging rack design isn't going to do any damage to your bikes unless they are made of glass.

I've never understood the general hate for the NS style racks. They are invincible, well designed, easy to load, easy to store, and I've only had one MTB that didn't fit, but that's because that bike had about the most retarded headtube design and the lack of compatibility with the northshore rack was the least of its problems.
It was an extreme comparison but I'd rather not have my fork stressed while hanging vertically in that specific area if I can help it, I put it through enough abuse while riding normally. I was referring to those 2 specific rack designs, not the NS rack. I have no problem with the NS rack at all. The NS rack carry's the bikes weight on the fork crown area which is much more solid area and also not every shuttle vehicle has plush suspension that soaks up varying road conditions. Go lift/hang your bike from the front wheel and tell me if you'd like to shuttle it in that position.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I get what Scrub is saying. The bushings inside the fork will be rubbing upside for what could be hours at a time. Granted, if you have a good lower strap that can take some of that angular stress off the bushings, it's really minimal stress.

Heck, I bought a Curt hitch and wiring harness for my Xterra and we bolted it on Wednesday. Got my beat down rack back on the vehicle now and BOY, what I wouldn't give to have a 4 bike upright rack about now.

Here is big question though...which ones of all these vertical hanging racks are suitable for road bikes? I assume none pose a problem for skinny tires?

idriveme

Chimp
Apr 6, 2012
I have made a few racks, I made a NS copy, holding 5 bikes. Pretty cool, but it can scratch up crowns and stanctions. A bit of a pain to load, lots of lifting always getting greese from chains etc.

Currently building up a 6 place rack on my homemade trailer. It is a copy of the 1 up USA racks system, holds them in conventional position by the wheels only. 1up is by far the Best designed and built rack I have ever seen, but big bucks.

165.jpg

I get what Scrub is saying. The bushings inside the fork will be rubbing upside for what could be hours at a time. Granted, if you have a good lower strap that can take some of that angular stress off the bushings, it's really minimal stress.

Heck, I bought a Curt hitch and wiring harness for my Xterra and we bolted it on Wednesday. Got my beat down rack back on the vehicle now and BOY, what I wouldn't give to have a 4 bike upright rack about now.

Here is big question though...which ones of all these vertical hanging racks are suitable for road bikes? I assume none pose a problem for skinny tires?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Done. Got an extra too. It holds 5 bikes, tilts and has plenty of clearance.

Last edited:

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Done. Got an extra too. It holds 5 bikes, tilts and has plenty of clearance.

Picture might be deceiving but how close is the rear tire to the ground on the bike on the right/passenger's side? Other 3 look fine.