Quantcast

DH and Slalom Nostalgia Thread

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I dedicate this thread to the good old days when DS courses weren't more than a few grassy turns and whoops, when the person who stayed on their bike most likely won and when racers competed in both DH and DS. I came across some good videos this morning and thought I'd share, feel free to add any old school DH or DS vids and pics.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Dude,
That's dual.
Dual was just as silly as 4x. A race for the first turn 90% of the time.
No need to have nostalgia about DS. Go hold a race. Certainly there is a gently sloping grass field somewhere in MD. Heck, you guys have a great track at Wisp!
Grab a weedwacker and some shovels and make it happen!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dude,
That's dual.
No need to have nostalgia about DS. Go hold a race. Certainly there is a gently sloping grass field somewhere in MD. Heck, you guys have a great track at Wisp!
Mickey, in case you haven't noticed, many of us in New England are snowed in right now.

Though a snow slalom would probably be a hoot.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Mickey, in case you haven't noticed, many of us in New England are snowed in right now.

Though a snow slalom would probably be a hoot.
Ya 7 people showed up for the snow ds at Gore Mt a few weeks ago. Like Mickey said ds killington style and a method with no timing is the only hope right now.

Problem is promoters are staying away after losing money for years with "built" courses. I've been trying to incorporate grass ds into the Eastern States Cup. Anyone ???

Let's do a grass ds this year under the triple at Platty !!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't want to derail this thread, caus' it's got potential to be gold, but those tracks seemed like a little more than "grassy turns" to me... sweet vids though.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I would kill to be able to watch chainsmoke 2 and watch sabrinas section,she was so fit back then

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Dude,
That's dual.
Except dual is fun to race.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Dual was crazy back then. CUlly vs LOpes. Mid air collisions. Wade Bootes was juiced ! Crazy times. I still think 4x is more fun than dual as is real slalom. But right now, hockey is more fun than those 3

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Doing DS races on week nights in the middle of the summer closer to where people live is what I've been angling for for a while.

Racing for beer and brats on a Wednesday night is a good way to get people stoked enough(and confident enough) to pay real money for a "real" race.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
they got grass over there? all i saw was rocks and dirt :D

But yeah...I'd race some DS, that could be fun. Keep entries cheap and race for beer if over 21.
having attempted back in '02 to rake the freshly bulldozed jumps into shape with Van Dine, Herndon, Dejesus...I can attest to this. I found no dirt whilst raking. Only rubble rubble!:thumb:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Found this in our office, my ole lady won it 5 times(and was 2nd all the times she lost)...they had to write the last one with a pen as NORBA had no budget for the 3$ engraving I guess.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I suppose it's time to start putting up some OG Spooky scans...

And a few BMXaction scans too...
Kids- In case you didn't know, RL Osborne is god.

Palmer's worlds bike.