Quantcast

DH at Crested Butte

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
So I rode the DH at crested butte today, and it was a bit more technical then I expected (and from what everyone has told me). You drop in on a super fast, steep incline and then over a small (yet formidable) rock garden. There is definitely a bit more pedalling and at one point, I got stuck on the Super D course following the "Race Course" signs, and hit this huge uphill. All I could think was, 'holy ****, I am not racing this'. But the DH course is definitely fun!! -- couple of man-made dirt jumps and a lot of twisty, narrow swithcbacks over rather loose/sandy footing. Should be a good race.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Eggselent :) I'm glad it sounds a bit more challenging then most people are saying.

Enjoy the XC out there! We're definately bringing our XC bikes to enjoy some of it.

See you this weekend :)

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Course was super duper pedally but fun. There was only 1 technical section right after the start, hardest part about that section was just getting set up for the left hand turn after going over a sandy/rocky section. After that, a short fast descent that took you into the woods for some pedal pushing up a slight hill...that was tough but right after that section you went into a sandy descent and then into the switchback section, then onto a fire road for a short little bit, then into the woods again for some more pedal pushing, back onto a short fire road before hitting the last wooded section, then onto another fire road to the jumps...first jump was a ski jump kinda thingy that was super easy, then 2 small tabletops that really sucked and then another ski/hip jump that was easy, then the descent into the finish line. After all that pedal pushing I was exhausted....that was the hardest part of the course. People were dead coming into the finish line.

Results are at http://www.racemsc.com/results/main.php?func=event&eventid=22&year=2006

I had good practices with no crashes and a good race run with a time of 6:08. Didn't really push myself on the pedally stuff until Sunday morning practice, that's when I realized how much this course was going to hurt :rolleyes:

Moshee had a great race time also coming in for a 5th place finish. The sport women had about 12 girls competing....more than the Expert and Pro fields. So I'd say there was some tough competition in our class! Great job to everyone that raced!

vastaction.com should have pics of the race as well as a video posted sometime this week.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
we just got to Moab today. A little warm when we pulled in around 6pm, but not as bad as Texas weather. We rode in Durango today -- Coal Pass Summit to Engineer Mountain Trail (Hermosa Creek the day before, which was really nice). It was a big climb (maybe ~1000 feet?? over 4 miles) followed by a good 5 miles of downhill. Lightening was right on our tails as we descended the mountain. We tried to hitchhike back up to our car, 5 miles back up on the highway (uphill ~1300 feet), but no luck. So TBFKAHG was on his DH bike, and since I was on the xc bike, I elected to ride up to get the car -- the longest 5 miles of my life. Eeek -- not much of a shoulder on the road, so I kept hopping back and forth between the pavement and the 4 inches of sand paralleling the road, whenever I heard cars coming.

We are going to shuttle Porcupine Rim (?) tomorrow in the early A.M. so we can just do the DH (and no climbing :p ). I'm looking forward to it. We are here for a few days and then off to Salt Lake for the Deer Valley race.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I am soooo jealous :mad:

Durango is such an awesome place to ride. I've never been to Moab but know that you guys need to stay cool during the day and keep hydrated!

Keep posting up about your trip....I'm living vicariously through you guys :)

Will you guys be hitting Snowmass or Keystone in July?

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
weimie said:
Will you guys be hitting Snowmass or Keystone in July?
We were originally going to be ending our trip with the Snowmass race but are thinking about skipping it and heading back to Angel Fire that weekend to finish up the trip with a couple of stress free days of downhill and South Boundary.
We'll be hitting Keystone sometime during he week leading up to the Snowmass race but aren't sure if we'll make it back for the race or not.