Quantcast

DH @ Attitash today

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

went for a few runs w/ the wife today, and a few w/o her. not much has changed from last year, though they have closed down a couple of trails and added workarounds for others. the ladder drop on Holy Chute is still a ~ 7'dumb to flat drop, unless you have enough speed to clear the pit and land on the tranny. i didn't. but the rock drop just after the 'chute' part (that berm's a lifesaver) is still very fun.

we did grandma's house a couple of times, then the busted toe trail (and sub-options) a few times too. after hil was done, i hooked on w/ another solo rider and we did bat cave (nice steep entrance), automatic drip (really fun trail), red squirrel rampage over to the bottom of scrambled eggs, and the wizwhapshizbam (or whatever it is) trail, which was also fun. my front brake was non-existent at the base of the mountain before i started riding, pumped back to life during the 1st run, but was pretty much dead again on my last run. no crashes today, but i did manage to rip the lower velcro strap from my leg pad after slipping a pedal, and i smashed my finger on a tree, in a really tight spot on one of the trails. still good fun though, and the weather was excellent.

addendum: stuff seen from the chairlift included three flip-flops, one bra suspended in a tree, and an indigo bunting.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
SkaredShtles said:
Aren't you like 1-1/2 hours from the High Sierra? Get crackin' man!!
an hour to tahoe... d-ville is about the same...at the moment tho i m layin low.. got a roadtrip to brian head UT comin up (beginning august) ... as well as headin to OZ / korea for 5 weeks or so in september... savin fun tickets..

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
narlus said:
are you gonna just ride the ski mountain, or do some shuttles like bunker creek or blowhard?

the plan hasn t been that developed yet mate... when i was there, shuttles were the only option.. but that was 4 or 5 years ago... lots of changes i m sure... can t wait... i m keen to ride it all... all the dh stuff anway :)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
narlus said:
the fix was to close that trail.

too bad, because that was fun, but it really did erode pretty badly. lincoln logs was closed too.
yeah that trail was pretty beat the last time i rode it. and lincoln logs was all sketchy, falling apart logs and pallet bridges so im not too sad to see it gone.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How is Attitash in terms of skill level? Do they rent bikes?

I want to get my girlfriend into downhill...so I want to start with something that's easy and gentle in slope. I grew up on Plattekill...so if it's not steep and rocky I get confused.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
attitash is not the place for beginners...grandma's house is the mellowest trail out there. the other less-steep stuff is either too tight or rocky/rooty.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Sandwich said:
How is Attitash in terms of skill level? Do they rent bikes?

I want to get my girlfriend into downhill...so I want to start with something that's easy and gentle in slope. I grew up on Plattekill...so if it's not steep and rocky I get confused.
It's pretty tough but if you can ride other places good, you should be able to manage. They do rent bikes.

If you can ride Attitash, you can ride almost anywhere in the Northeast.

Narulus I ride there a lot so send me a P/M next time you are going. Great report BTW!

Check out my latest video from Attitash:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161511

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DH biker said:
It's pretty tough but if you can ride other places good, you should be able to manage. They do rent bikes.

If you can ride Attitash, you can ride almost anywhere in the Northeast.

Narulus I ride there a lot so send me a P/M next time you are going. Great report BTW!

Check out my latest video from Attitash:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161511
hey, great vid! very nice work.

what was the rock drop in the woods at about 2:45? i don't recall seeing that. no footage of the ladder drop on Holy Chute, or the one at the end run-out which dumps you out at the skate park?

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
narlus said:
hey, great vid! very nice work.

what was the rock drop in the woods at about 2:45? i don't recall seeing that. no footage of the ladder drop on Holy Chute, or the one at the end run-out which dumps you out at the skate park?
Thanks!

The rock drop in the woods is Oaf Huck very fun fast and flowy trail. I have some old footage of the Holy Chute drop somewhere... Do a search for my video from Memorial Day Weekend "Into The Woods" and there is footage of the drop by the skatepark.

When are you heading up to Attitash again? I'll show you the smoothest way to hit the Holy Chute drop so it is not to flat... a way most people seem to overlook quite easily.