Quantcast

DH bike for $1500 or less - choices?

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
FYI, my first thread. :rolleyes:

I'd like to get any suggestions you all might have for a DH bike. I know my price range is kinda cheap. I have my Transition Trail-or-Park hardtail for XC and local jump park. But now I'd like to get a DH bike for when we go shuttling or lift-assisted (we're going to Kamloops 4th of July!) I'm 5'7" , 130lbs. I prefer a smallish bike and had a Norco 6 medium last year but it got stolen. :mad: I did love it and the price was right. It seems like my only choices are the Kona Coiler and Norco Six 3. Anybody have any other suggestions? I hate having limited choices.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Hi! I'm in the process of building a DH bike. I had a really hard time finding anything inexpensive so I just said f---it! But, that probably wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do. Anyway, I think your best bet for under 1.5K is to look in the used bikes forum. I almost picked up a small M3 in there, and it seems there are usually small dh bikes for sale. I hope that you find something! What is Kamloops? Never heard of it...sounds cool though!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You might resort to the B-list of bikes: Diamondback, KHS, non-Sunday Iron Horse, and Supergo's line.

They are very similar in their country of origin (Taiwan), higher part spec, and slightly lower quality frames.

I can speak for the Diamondback XTS as a very decent part spec, and there is a 280 lb father hammering on one, and his two sons too, but they are probably 140lbs each.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
GrapeApe79 said:
Hi! I'm in the process of building a DH bike. I had a really hard time finding anything inexpensive so I just said f---it! But, that probably wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do. Anyway, I think your best bet for under 1.5K is to look in the used bikes forum. I almost picked up a small M3 in there, and it seems there are usually small dh bikes for sale. I hope that you find something! What is Kamloops? Never heard of it...sounds cool though!
Hi April!
We built up my Transition and it did get pricey so we're avoiding that route! Kamloops is in BC - actually the resort is called Sun Peaks I believe. From what I've heard it's cheaper than Whistler, shorter to non-existent lines and great terrain.

Used would be good and we're looking, but seems like a smaller frame is hard to find. But sounds like you guys found things.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I just went through this but with around a $1000 budget. I bought used. Look at used Konas, Santa Cruz, and Ironhorse complete bikes on ebay, mtbr, ridemonkey, pinkbike and craigslist.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
When you buy used, do you buy from a local person so that you can test ride it, or have you test rode that kind of bike previously, or do you just know from the specs how it will feel?

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I've found with DH bikes it's kinda like a stab in the dark. I took advice from the local guys on what kind of bike would suit me and then just went by the specs and made sure I would have enough standover. I also got lots of pictures of specific things on the bike. There are no small DH bikes to test ride around here so I just had to hope that the bike would work for me. I bought from a woman on this site and had sucess. I'm still finding lots of things I don't like on the bike and am in the process of changing (fork springs, brakes, seat, tires) but all of those are parts that can be easily be changed to another frame in the future. At least I now have a complete bike (for cheap) with decent specs which is where I needed to start.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
i think local is ultimately the best, especially if it's someone you know. but, since that's kind of an ideal situation, you could do some research at local shops...if you find a bike that looks promising, you could check it out in person at a shop to see how the sizing goes.

our friend has a santa cruz heckler and really likes it (and i think it fits in your price range).

just be careful buying used. most people are honest, but there are some people out there to take advantage of you, especially if you let on that you are a woman. sorry, but true. if you are conversing with someone online about buying a bike and you get any feeling in your gut like it could be too good to be true, pay attention to your instincts and walk away!!!

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
sanjuro said:
You might resort to the B-list of bikes: Diamondback, KHS, non-Sunday Iron Horse, and Supergo's line.

They are very similar in their country of origin (Taiwan), higher part spec, and slightly lower quality frames.

I can speak for the Diamondback XTS as a very decent part spec, and there is a 280 lb father hammering on one, and his two sons too, but they are probably 140lbs each.
I just acquired a free Diamondback Strike frame and I love it. Very
M1ish. It's a medium frame (the only size it comes in) and it fits me perfect at 5'4".

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
VT Mtbkr said:
There are no small DH bikes to test ride around here so I just had to hope that the bike would work for me. I bought from a woman on this site and had sucess. I'm still finding lots of things I don't like on the bike and am in the process of changing (fork springs, brakes, seat, tires) but all of those are parts that can be easily be changed to another frame in the future. At least I now have a complete bike (for cheap) with decent specs which is where I needed to start.
Yes, my problem as well! Or else it'll be a nice size and the seat post will be too long to lower, or the fork isn't set up, or some stupid thing that doesn't allow for a good ride in the parking lot. Geez, you'd think they'd want to sell bikes. :mad: Or else the sales person is trying to get you into a $3k hardcore bike because that's what he likes!

I'm okay with getting something cheaper and having to upgrade. I won't be using the DH bike as much because it'll be too dang heavy to ride up the hills, not to mention that I want to learn my jumping on a hardtail and not take the Barcalounger route...hee hee.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Big Hit, eh? mmmm. Well Big Hit with parts would be nice. Don't think we want to do the dreaded build-up since we just got done with one... how much are you asking, though, and what size and year is it?

Thanks everyone for ideas on the B-list bikes. That's something to consider which I haven't done. I guess I need to get rid of the cool-factor bias when choosing a good bike at a cheaper price.... like no Nomad for me!

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Yes, my problem as well! Or else it'll be a nice size and the seat post will be too long to lower, or the fork isn't set up, or some stupid thing that doesn't allow for a good ride in the parking lot. Geez, you'd think they'd want to sell bikes. :mad: Or else the sales person is trying to get you into a $3k hardcore bike because that's what he likes

Well you're better off then me, I have yet to even see a brand new downhill or freeride bike in a bike shop no matter what size it is. I figure I'd have to travel about 3+ hours to see a bike of this type in my area. I only plan on riding mine about 8 times a year considering the amount of travel time it takes me to get to a lift assisted park.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
VT Mtbkr said:
Well you're better off then me, I have yet to even see a brand new downhill or freeride bike in a bike shop no matter what size it is. I figure I'd have to travel about 3+ hours to see a bike of this type in my area. I only plan on riding mine about 8 times a year considering the amount of travel time it takes me to get to a lift assisted park.
My sympathy to you in Virginia. Here in Seattle we do have lots of areas to ride rough dh, well maybe not lift-assisted but shuttleable. I just need to get better-skilled and find the secret places :cool: When I had my Norco I was riding it up Tiger, which had a 3-mile roadclimb then this great rocky course downhill. It was so worth the slow climb on a 43lb bike.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
redFoxx said:
Big Hit, eh? mmmm. Well Big Hit with parts would be nice. Don't think we want to do the dreaded build-up since we just got done with one... how much are you asking, though, and what size and year is it?
I hear you on the build-up...I'd never have the patience or knowledge for it. I'm lucky because my BF is a bike wrench and manages a shop here in Boulder so he basically comes home with new bikes for me....hence the free DBR frame :) Down side is he's always changing things on my bike without asking :mad:

I'll get back to you on pricing and size, etc. He bought it for me for Christmas this year so it's his frame to sell. Pretty sure it's a medium....

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Yeah, building a bike is a learning process but so frustrating! First you have to pick what parts you want, which takes forever b/c you are picking out every little part, then you have to find the best deal. At this point, I just want my darn bike! I am excited to put it together though (my bf is going to help me).

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
weimie said:
I'm lucky because my BF is a bike wrench and manages a shop here in Boulder so he basically comes home with new bikes for me....hence the free DBR frame :) Down side is he's always changing things on my bike without asking :mad:
Now that's a problem to have! :nopity: My bf does do my bike work (well I'm a good cook so I barter food for mechanic work.:) ) and he can get parts at pro deal occasionally but you've got it made in the shade!