Quantcast

DH bike rack for the honda del sol?? preferably 2 bikes...

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Well they dont make one. sorry haha

So I decided to ghetto fab one myself.

Makes shuttle runs easy - Unloading and loading time is typcially less than a minute, and the hold it has on bikes is unlike any rack I've ever personally used. That is to say, I have full confidence that the car will skid out before I lose a bike haha. Also the added bonus of having the bikes directly overhead is that there is no worrys of the bikes getting hit in an accident. The Del Sol is a very low car so loading the bikes up on top of it is not that tedious.

Let me know what you guys think. (Yes it will be painted, Black in fact, so take that into consideration haha)

Total cost - Sub $40
Total man hours - 4
Gas Milage with rack on top and my DH bike - appx 20MPG
(The gas milage includes shuttle runs in Reading, PA. Home of the auto race - Durhyea HillClimb, so basically every run up and down was a race run for the car as well, the hill is steep with very sharp hair pin turns, Highway MPG is estimated between 23-25MPG, suck on that haha.)

Oh yea, i can still hit 100mph with it, barely.
And, the windows do roll up completely, if that matters, i just got home so they were down a bit.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
haha thanks, but I spent less than a quarter of that shipped and i still dont need to worry about botteming out and scraping anything off when the del sol gets airborne like it frequently likes on to the backroads lol.

I should have waited till I painted it... I knew it. I think the natural woodgrain finish effects a majority of you's guys' perceptions haha. But the commets are amusing. keep em coming

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
given that the roof panel pops out i deem that super sketchy.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ummm, they do make racks for your car, but non the less, nice job, looks good and stable

Anyways, Yakima and Thule both make as etup for the Sel sol, but plan on spending 700 plus if you get eitehr of those, both will need a special roof adapter which will allow for the support needed, you wont find it on the website, youll need to talk to a dealer who know what they are looking for, still, i like your build, shows initiaitve and inginuity.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
given that the roof panel pops out i deem that super sketchy.

That typically only happens with del sols in the case of a crash where the car rolls onto its roof (sounds safe huh?) its actually held in by four 2" long, 3/8" thick guide rails on each corner that retract for removal, its pretty damn sturdy basically, it ain't poppin off.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Thats got to be the classiest rack i've ever seen. I love the innovation aka "redneck engineering". It might not be conventional but it sure gets the job done

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Nice work! Don't let these 'tards bother you with their foolish, derogatory comments. If it's true that the alternative to you rack requires giving $700 to Thule or Yakima, then you've made a wise choice in fabricating your own.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
your shuttle rig has no chance of makin it up our hill. nice try. Im guessin you you are blessed w/ a paved shuttleroad.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Looks good...perhaps I should rig up something similar for my 924? Nah...would mess up the giant glass hatch big time...

Hitch racks don't work for a LOT of cars, btw...too low to the ground.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
If it's true that the alternative to you rack requires giving $700 to Thule or Yakima, then you've made a wise choice in fabricating your own.
I think you need a variable in that equation to take into account the cost of buying new parts when your racks dumps your bikes on the highway.

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
thats what the red landrover disco in the back is for :happydance:
Irony = "honey, can you move the land rover out of the garage? I'm building a bike rack for my Del Sol because I can't find a better option."

I think you enjoy building stuff and decided this would be a fun project. It really is great work. But be honest, it wasn't about the money, or necessity, it was just fun to build.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I think you enjoy building stuff and decided this would be a fun project. It really is great work. But be honest, it wasn't about the money, or necessity, it was just fun to build.
Hit the nail on the head. the gas milage doesnt hurt either tho ;)

I think you need a variable in that equation to take into account the cost of buying new parts when your racks dumps your bikes on the highway.
If your talking about the rack I built, I trust it more than a rack I didnt build myself ha. I've already put it through some braking, acceleration, and slalom tests, not to mention cruising at 100 with it. I'm pretty confident I'll hafta replace parts on the car before the bike - while the bike is on top of it that is.

jcampbell

Chimp
Sep 10, 2007
You went to one of those Ghetto proms didn't you... Looks like a hell of a lot of wood, pully's and bungie cords to hold a couple heavy ass bikes. That's ****ing awesome!

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
wow this thread brings back memories.

Yea my detachable roof section actually gave way one day while I was doing 100 on the highway with two DH bike's on it, it proceeded to fly back off the car, causing a 3 car pile-up and killing 2 people. I kinda feel bad about it, but at least I got insurance money for my bikes!! I ended up buying a new M6 with the 2009 dorado which I plan on using to race my 5th season in beginner class next year - wish me luck!!

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Convertibles don't need racks. Just put the top down and bikes in the back seat hanging out over the trunk. Worked killer on my old 325i vert. Border guards gave me funny looks, but nothing like having as much fun driving up Cypress Hwy or Sea to Ski as you do riding the trails.