Quantcast

DH bike sizing: height, TT length, and other concerns

looking to purchase my new DH ride. the use will be mostly riding at lift served trails, some local shuttles, and some racing. i am an intermediate rider, like to go fast, carve corners, pick thru rock gardens, no big drops or airs. i'm 6'2", about 180lbs with gear on, and 33" inseam.

I'm narrowed it down (somewhat) to the Revolt, Session88, Commencal, and Intense 951 or M6.

When i started DH racing/riding in 2000, my first bike was a Giant DH Comp, followed by Intense M1...followed by a Chumba F5. i have had a 4 year DH hiatus due to residency, which is about to end...

i've always rode a "medium" frame. a 23.5" top tube seemed to be my comfort zone. it was the same for nearly all of my bikes (DH, 4X, Trail). With a short stem, my knees were 3-4inches from the handebars when hammering out of the saddle.

i posed the above question because i've never really rode a "large" frame with a 24+" toptube extensively to really compare. is my "comfort" really an abberation? and i should be riding a "large"?

i always felt that the "medium" frame was easier to control and muscle around. but am i losing stability and pedalling efficiency by NOT riding the "large" frame?

i'd like to know how tall you are, your inseam, and what your ideal TT length is.

thanks

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would definitely be on a large at your height. At somewhere around 6'1", I usually am between a medium and large, but lean towards the bigger sizes, especially on frames with "new-school" (read: smaller) geometry. Look at the new DHRs for an example of shrinkage through the model years.

The thing that really matters is reach and stack; TT length won't really tell you how a bike "fits" for DH riding.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Chillin, I never knew that you were in to biking. Rufus from neasg.

I will get you some info soon, just wanted to say what's up.