Quantcast

DH Chain guide opinions

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
So once again I've found cracks in my top and bottom rollers of my E13 LG1+, the older version. Instead of replacing the parts I'm thinking of getting a whole new device, possibly an MRP G4 but I can't find much on it.

What's everyone running these days?

Thanks all.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
mrp sxg alu weighs less, can be found for $60.
It's also missing half the guide, I should have added "functional" to strong+light.
If he's replacing an old LG1+ he definitely wants a full guide.

The G4 will work, but you have to buy the G4 carbon to get anywhere near Mozartt Presto weight, and the Presto will be stronger. I only suggested it since the guide he's replacing is heavier than the alloy G4 (assuming 36T LG1+, if 40T it'll break even). If no care for weight, then by all means get the MRP.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
In
It's also missing half the guide, I should have added "functional" to strong+light.
If he's replacing an old LG1+ he definitely wants a full guide.

The G4 will work, but you have to buy the G4 carbon to get anywhere near Mozartt Presto weight, and the Presto will be stronger. I only suggested it since the guide he's replacing is heavier than the alloy G4 (assuming 36T LG1+, if 40T it'll break even). If no care for weight, then by all means get the MRP.
You're absolutely right, I want a full guide as I don't have a clutched derailleur ('13ish X9). On that note though, is there any merit in running no bottom guide? A bunch of DH racers (Bruni is the only one I can think of right now) seem to be doing that.

As for the guide, I actually saw a Mozartt Presto for relatively cheap ($125 AUD) online last night but thought it was a knock off brand. Performance wise are they in the same league or better than the MRP? If so I'd probably pick one up, as it's about $100 AUD cheaper than any G4 I can find.

Cheers!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It's likely a WAY better guide than the MRP, if you care about weight then it's the only guide in this class I'm aware of with a 7075-T6 backplate, which is the reason it can be so light while still being full-featured.

I've seen that price and it's a special, likely because as with you, most people probably have no idea what it is so they don't sell. I find the MRP guides cheesy, they get the job done but have no competition (thus no development) since theHive seem to have applied their beekeeping experience to the entire e.13 lineup, rendering it useless. I wrote cheap and cheesy originally, but the prices are a ripoff.

I don't actually run one myself, if you want experience then send buckoW on here a PM.
Suspect troy may run one too. Wise to do that first, the guides aren't going anywhere.

As for no lower guide, your chain drops sometimes instead of never.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The g4 alloys are like $2 difference from that mozart one here. If you can't find them that cheap in stralia that mozart one does look pretty good. MRP doesn't list the aluminum stock but I've beat the shit out of several of them and the plastic is definitely the consumable part. The 40g weight difference is probably in the plastic, there's lots of it. I do like the continuous piece on the bottom so nothing catches. Plus they're just really easy to get quick replacement parts for here. That's the main reason I'm going to keep using them but I live close to where they're made. I haven't ever broken anything on one but I have switched some bits around for different bikes/different chainring sizes.

I gave up on e13 a long time ago. There's just better out there these days for sure.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
ALWAYS run the lower jockey wheel.
Because with any rearward travel your derailleur is tugged,
running the lower pulley allows the chain to "extend" by unwrapping as the suspension is compressed the results of this are
1 essentially gives the derailleur more throw, you have less difference between fuck this parts hard to explain,
on bikes with lots of rearward motion and large cassettes (i know people like running road bike and short block cassettes these days) you end up with a situation where the bike wants to tear the derailleur off the bike on the largest cog, and where your chain can be pretty god damn slack on the small rear cog.
2 pulling on a derailleur does slightly effect suspension action see Gwin's comments about chinless, well, really he had no pedal kickback and the derailleur didn't have any influence so..... it is hard to say which was responsible but probably lack of pedal kickback
3 pulling on your clutch derailleur kind of wears out the clutch, and diffidently wears all the pivots in the derailleur
4 you can back the clutch off with the lower pulley till the chain is silenced using it as a silencing device instead of a chain retention device

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Gwinn isn't the only person who's ever ridden their bike without a chain fer cryin out loud. He didn't win that race because he had no chain and his bike worked that differently, he won because he was pissed.

But they ALL do work a little better when you take the chain and gear flingy out of the system. Especially if it's a clutched gear flinger.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
I run a Mozartt Presto. It's strong, and light, and functions worry-free for the one simple task it has. I recommend it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
whoa they're still around?

Wow, they even make narrow wide oval chainrings, I thought they were still just clearing out old stock.

Not sure they'll get through their 200+ 90mm length stems too quickly though, hahaha!

There was a XO guide on Ebay Australia for ages and it was selling for almost nothing, seems someone snapped up a bargain or the seller gave up.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have an old G2 on the DH bike. Its getting a bit long in the tooth, but so far still works. Having said that, the plastic is probably aged out and the first good whack this year will shatter it. Thanks guys.

Was looking at a HXR for the trailbike, but knew nothing about them... Will have to have a closer look.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's likely a WAY better guide than the MRP, if you care about weight then it's the only guide in this class I'm aware of with a 7075-T6 backplate, which is the reason it can be so light while still being full-featured.

I've seen that price and it's a special, likely because as with you, most people probably have no idea what it is so they don't sell. I find the MRP guides cheesy, they get the job done but have no competition (thus no development) since theHive seem to have applied their beekeeping experience to the entire e.13 lineup, rendering it useless. I wrote cheap and cheesy originally, but the prices are a ripoff.

I don't actually run one myself, if you want experience then send buckoW on here a PM.
Suspect troy may run one too. Wise to do that first, the guides aren't going anywhere.

As for no lower guide, your chain drops sometimes instead of never.
Straightline Silent Guide has a 7075 backplate. Still available on their site. It's discontinued but they sell it and it's cheap now at 75$

Though the guy who runs Mozart guys is a cool guy so support him. Went a long way from selling his guides on the local equivalent of ebay.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
the guy who runs Mozart guys is a cool guy so support him. Went a long way from selling his guides on the local equivalent of ebay.
Small companies that make no-nonsense, no frills quality products are definitely what's right with the industry.