Quantcast

dh cranks

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by muscular_biker
can I take any crank and only attach one chain ring? Will this work? what is a good size if I will be climbing a bit and will also have a 9spd. cassete.
With most cranks you can. You then should use a chain guide, you can usally run a 34t or 36t chainring, that will climb ok. Got to check chinguide manufactures specs on chainring size though.

Feb 21, 2002
Houston TX
ok, the chain guide you are speaking of is the one with the rollers, am I correct, and with the bashgaurd that sanwhiches(sp) the chainring.

this is on a 2001 fsr dh team frame, it has a little peg that sticks out, down towards the bb, is this to attach a plate for the chain guide?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by muscular_biker
ok, the chain guide you are speaking of is the one with the rollers, am I correct, and with the bashgaurd that sanwhiches(sp) the chainring.

this is on a 2001 fsr dh team frame, it has a little peg that sticks out, down towards the bb, is this to attach a plate for the chain guide?
Yep, thats a chain guide, I'm not familiar with how that frame set6s up. You wouldn't happen to have a pic? Would ya?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
For the summer of 2000, I used XT cranks with a 42 chainring. I worked great actually. I just put the chainring where the middle ring would be and then I had a Black Spire Big Ring protector on the outside. I also used the old school Mr.Dirt chain guide...everything worked flawlessly. You'll have no problems.