Quantcast

DH Fork Suspension Data

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
From time to time I've seen riders who have home-built data loggers on their bikes on the forums. Any chance any of you have ride data that I could get from you to import into our EMA Dyno so that I could run some simulations? Specifically looking for front fork data.

Hit me up if so,

Darren
dm@pushindustries.com

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
How much are you willing to pay for the data?
I am gonna go out on a limb and and say if its like the rest of the bike industry in every aspect then it will be about 1/4-1/10 what would be considered a fair price.....

THATS THE ENTIRE BIKE INDUSTRY BTW

Last edited:

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
We have four on-board data loggers, so I'm not looking for this because we don't have the capability. What I was hoping for was some data samples from outside areas as well as a combination of rider types. I guess I thought this information was more readily available than what has been proven here. No worries.

Darren

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Darren, I know profro on here does data acquisition, and I think he has a bunch info from Windrock. That would interesting to read for sure. Hopefully, he will get off his moto long enough to respond, but if not, send him a PM.

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
Darren, I have some data on a Boxxer sampled at 400Hz. It's probably not very interesting as I was just testing the equipment and not riding particularly hard. I will try to put the logger box on the DH bike this weekend at the Plattekill race with a worthy test pilot. I'll send you an email.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Darren, I have some data on a Boxxer sampled at 400Hz. It's probably not very interesting as I was just testing the equipment and not riding particularly hard. I will try to put the logger box on the DH bike this weekend at the Plattekill race with a worthy test pilot. I'll send you an email.
just out of curiosity, what kind of sensors do these kinds of units have? accelerometers?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
I am gonna go out on a limb and and say if its like the rest of the bike industry in every aspect then it will be about 1/4-1/10 what would be considered a fair price.....

THATS THE ENTIRE BIKE INDUSTRY BTW
Yea, they all want something for nothing. You should see what big time bike manufacturers pay engineers. It's no wonder they mostly hire mostly artists. True story...a big brand manufacturer in the santa cruz area passed up on hiring a supremely qualified mechanical engineer for a high up engineering position and said they were going with some guy fresh out of art school in san francisco. this guy will now be in charge of design, manufacture, and testing of bike parts that your life could be in the hands of.

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
just out of curiosity, what kind of sensors do these kinds of units have? accelerometers?
I used linear potentiometers made by Active Sensors. I use stable numerical differentiation algorithms to extract velocity data from the position timecourse. Another option for sensors are LVDT; they are more expensive and require signal conditioning but are less susceptible to noise.

I built the logger based on an Arduino board and wrote the embedded software - this is a very cheap and customizable solution; I wrote the data analysis software in MATLAB.

I have been meaning to work on a second generation of the logger box to include a GPS, more compact packaging, and higher resolution ADC sampling at 1kHz but work keeps getting in the way and I can't seem to find the time.

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I used linear potentiometers made by Active Sensors. I use stable numerical differentiation algorithms to extract velocity data from the position timecourse. Another option are LVDT which measure velocity directly, and position by numerical integration. They are more expensive and require signal conditioning but are less susceptible to noise.

I built the logger based on an Arduino board and wrote the embedded software - this is a very cheap and customizable solution; I wrote the data analysis software in MATLAB.

I have been meaning to work on a second generation of the logger box to include a GPS, more compact packaging, and higher resolution ADC sampling at 1kHz but work keeps getting in the way and I can't seem to find the time.
This is why we need to start riding together weekly!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Yea, they all want something for nothing. You should see what big time bike manufacturers pay engineers. It's no wonder they mostly hire mostly artists. True story...a big brand manufacturer in the santa cruz area passed up on hiring a supremely qualified mechanical engineer for a high up engineering position and said they were going with some guy fresh out of art school in san francisco. this guy will now be in charge of design, manufacture, and testing of bike parts that your life could be in the hands of.
and this companies name isssss....?

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Sad but true.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Position sensors are the staple, as you can derive velocity and acceleration from the position signal as NYbike said. Some people do also run accelerometers and gyroscopes but these are a lot more common outside the bike industry, as with bikes about 99% of all the information you can easily make much use of comes from the position sensors.

Last edited: