Quantcast

dh forum continuingly getting the chinese virus

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The last time I saw it happen, the new threads were all named random characters like "agdgsh". Shortly after they changed to the Chinese or whatever characters and content. Did they make new threads or edit the existing ones? Maybe that's how they get around filters?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The last time I saw it happen, the new threads were all named random characters like "agdgsh". Shortly after they changed to the Chinese or whatever characters and content. Did they make new threads or edit the existing ones? Maybe that's how they get around filters?
Yep, exactly this.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Restricting new users to only a small number of new threads a day, to deter spammers who post dozens of threads a day?

Oh, wait, of course I thought of that already, and of course there's no quick solution for it.

Here, if everyone really wants to be helpful with what knobs I can turn, you can look at this:

Or you can create an entire demo environment and test it out:

I've got a few add-ons that I'm looking at, but I can no longer rapidly deploy add-ons (they have to be piped through the server management team) so it won't be happening immediately.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
In these unprecedented times, I propose that you have the forum ping you with every new post, and you will manually accept each and every one, 24/7.
i am sure this solution is acceptable to you. :close:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
are there really any suspension design secrets our chinese overlords can steal from DW in the dh forum anymore...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It has been and is across forums. 63 postings by a few bots as of this morning.
It's usually starting at 10.30-10.45 PM UTC-3. First they create threads with a sum (8765+234) as the title and some random numbers as the body. Then, at 11 PM UTC-3 they pour in the Chinese garbage. This is starting to look like it's a scripted (i.e. not manual) attack, leveraging some of the weaknesses/macros of the XenForo platform.