Quantcast

dh/fr gear and style?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by hierophant5, Oct 25, 2005.

1. hierophant5

hierophant5 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Any one have a good suggestion to what should be worn when ridding dh/fr trails? I dont mean helmet or cup I mean stuff like shirts gogles gloves shoes etc. I haven't bought any attire for my riding style but I would like to. I looked at oakley gogles but they are way too big for my liking I looked at fox but they didn't offer good eye protection but had killer shirts. Also whats the deal with clip on cleats? Any recomendations? I kinda didnt like the idea of having ones foot attached to a pedal when trying to land a drop but i know guys that wont ride with out cleats cause of power efficientcy. So what do you guys think?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    jeans sleeveless-t Vans & a full-face motorcross helmet

3. rigidhack

rigidhack Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 1
    Ignore style. Tube socks and a milk jug full of water.

Really, get what works for you. If a tshirt and jeans works, great. NO point in being the guy on the hill with the matching gear and no skill (no saying that you have no skill, just that what you are wearing does not a lot to enhance it - with the possible exception of armour).

4. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    247 / 1,874
    Just ride with what you've got. For goggles - get the cheap ones. More money left over to travel to great places to ride.

5. Jayridesacove

Jayridesacove Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    wear whatever feels comfortable. and just go with flat pedals, since you seem to not dig the clipless thing

6. Muuqi

Muuqi Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Like everyone says man, just do whatever floats your boat. 'Round here in Ashland, some people like to get all dolled up in Moto shorts and jersey and what not, but I like to just wear jeans and a t shirt w/ a skate helmet. Alebeit the trails around here don't really warrent a full face or armor or anything. Do your own thing.

7. PatBranch

PatBranch Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 7
    Go to a moto shop and get some $30 spy gogles. They are really good for the price. I have the $30 spy targa 2 in clear.

I wear a rock garden flack jacket on trails with lots rocks. Some times I wear my Thor $30 moto jersey. If its hot I just wear a t shirt (sometimes w/ elbow guards). I usually wear my fox shorts.

Just wear what ever. A longsleeve jersy is nice in tight stuff (with sticks) so you don't get scraped. For riding around town or dirt jumping or stuff like that, I just wear T shirt and jeans.

I wouldn't get clipless pedals/shoes. More chaqnce of getting hurt. I just use platforms. If you get shoes like 661 launch shoes, they grip the pedal alot, or the 5.10 impact shoes are the absolute best shoes (amazing grip for $100).

Skateboard shoes work well too, but not AS well.

8. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    Do what ya like......

9. formermtboarder

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i wear some sturdy carhart pants and a t shirt (sweatshirt if its cold, and skateboard shoes are fine, dont waste ur money on $100 661 shoes

10. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    Also, it depends on what you are riding. If you are pedaling to the top of the mountain for a killer DH, you might want to wear cloths that will dry when you sweet. I still like wicking jerseys and shorts.

11. JRogers

JRogers talks too much

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    exactly. I am all for having your own style and choosing functional stuff, but I think that bike and moto-specific stuff is the most functional. Ride in jeans? They are hot, heavy, they dry really slow, do not wick any sweat etc. Not for me. For DH, moto-style shorts and jerseys made of wicking synthetics are the ticket. Just look for stuff that's on sale or is cheap. In my experience, the expensive stuff often isn't worth the cost. I have bought cheap gloves, cheap goggles, cheap pants etc and they work as well and last as long as the pricier stuff.

12. maxyedor

maxyedor <b>TOOL PRO</b>

Rep/Likes:
    21 / 240
    bright neon purple and yellow skinsuit over your armor with a matchin helmet and if you can still find them sidi dh boots.