Quantcast

DH frame ideas?

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
ok so its time for a new frame. the 24" rear wheel is starting to piss me off on my bighit. Im looking for good reccomendations along the lines of an 8-9" downhill specific geometry frame only. it has to be able to take a 26" rear. it also needs to be a lighter weight bike, so NO SCREAMS or similar stuff. i have several bikes in mind but I want to make sure I'm consitering all options

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Specialized Demo! This frame rails, has a lifetime warranty, and has the travel you want. It's WAY better than a Big$hit, I've owned both and the Demo blows it away. Try one out sometime and you'll see what I mean.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
DEMO what you will get a lot of, but a V10 would be nice, and not to heavy, an M3 or turner. and last but not lease a sunday world cup

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Adam Novatt said:
DEMO what you will get a lot of, but a V10 would be nice, and not to heavy, an M3 or turner. and last but not lease a sunday world cup
Do you just repeat the names of bikes you see listed on this forum or have you actually ridden any of them?

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
orange 223/224 I used to have a big hit, this thing makes my big hit feel like an xc bike. other good ideas, turner dhr, santa cruz v-10. 24" sucks

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Its a good thing i'm not a moderator of these boards, I'd ban every single one of you punk kids. You contribute nothing useful to these boards. What do they feed you kids in the california education system? It certainly isnt forum etiquette or grammer lessons :rolleyes: Leave.

Threadstarter, are you looking for a purebred race bike or just a more versitile downhill-worthy bike than your bighit? Your terrain, riding style and ballpark geometry would all be useful in recommending a bike to you. Otherwise your just going to get some kid spewing out random bikes he saw on the internet. :rolleyes:

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
hey how about we stop this ranting before a mod steps in and just removes this whole thread? if you have an answer to crazybiker300's question, then fantastic, answer it. this is a biking forum, not a place for everyone else to have to watch you guys bitch at each other.

nuff said

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
degoose, you let banshee rider talk about whatever he feels the need to talk about bike related at this site, if you have a problem take it somewhere else please, and novatt, is there anything more childish you could possibly be wasting your time on than thinking up pity insults and translating them into other languages?
why dont you all just get out and ride your bike, come back when you have something bike related.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Let me also suggest the demo 9 or 8, I used to ride an 03 bighit then scored a deal on a complete Demo 9 and it is a world of difference. The demo is just as heavy as my bighit was but is so different I don't mind the weight. Very smooth through rock gardens and rough stuff, rolls over everything. Some people say there is not that much difference between the 24" and 26" rear wheel but I am not that smooth of a rider so the 26" is a huge difference, does not hang up where the 24" would and have found myself riding alot faster on the demo. The demo 8 has less travel and on the average is about 3lbs lighter than the 9 from what i have seen. And can't beat the Specialized lifetime waranty.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
degoose said:
You cant talk about race bikes as your Banshee weighs like 56lbs
Are you high? I race a 39lb v10 :rolleyes:

I'm contacting the mods and admins of this site see about getting you punks removed. No one likes you. Period.

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Banshee Rider said:
Threadstarter, are you looking for a purebred race bike or just a more versitile downhill-worthy bike than your bighit? Your terrain, riding style and ballpark geometry would all be useful in recommending a bike to you. Otherwise your just going to get some kid spewing out random bikes he saw on the internet. :rolleyes:
Has to be race bred. I was consitering either an M3, 224 or a DHR, but im just trying to come up with other stuff i should check out. i have not personally gotten to check out these exact models, but i was pretty impressed with the M1, and though i'm not a fan of the VPP links, i like the fact that the wheelbase gets longer as you go through the travel. i have heard good things about the DHR and i was liking the lightness of the orange bikes. Ill get to check out a Demo 8 soon enough, but im kinda thinking i'd like to go with something a little more out of the ordinary. also one thing i dont like about the demos is that they've developed a reputation in freeride, so therefore when people see you on one they expect it of you to huck it off of a skyscraper.

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
quickneonrt said:
The demo is just as heavy as my bighit was but is so different I don't mind the weight..
my bighit is currently over three pounds lighter than the demo 8 II's estimated weight. im going for lightness with travel here. Im also not a huge guy so i would perfer something i can build within 35-43ish lbs.

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
ummm.........
tank......

.....and a half?
is partially steel, with more travel then i could ever possibly use anywhere on the east coast. heavy, and you might as well put pegs rather than a crank on it cause i can see it being useless trying to pedal it. nonethe less, its cool.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I'm not a fan of single pivots especially in the rock gardens of the east coast but the 224 is probably going to be the lightest of your choices 36-38lbs, ask the guys at Transcend.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
crazybiker300 said:
ummm.........
tank......

.....and a half?
is partially steel, with more travel then i could ever possibly use anywhere on the east coast. heavy, and you might as well put pegs rather than a crank on it cause i can see it being useless trying to pedal it. nonethe less, its cool.
Ummm... Just because a bike is partially made out of steel doesn't mean it's automatically heavy. And it has less travel than the M3, which you said you are also considering... Low to mid 40s is not an outrageous weight for a racebike.

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
crazybiker300 said:
ummm.........
tank......

.....and a half?
I believe that it is not steel yet, that is going to be an option though within the year, it can be built up as a race bike. I think that curb hucker's was in the low 40's

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
crazybiker300 said:
ok so its time for a new frame. the 24" rear wheel is starting to piss me off on my bighit. Im looking for good reccomendations along the lines of an 8-9" downhill specific geometry frame only. it has to be able to take a 26" rear. it also needs to be a lighter weight bike, so NO SCREAMS or similar stuff. i have several bikes in mind but I want to make sure I'm consitering all options
How about a BETD Big Hit kit. They sell a seatstay that lets you run a 26" with only minor geo. changes. Get a 26" wheel on that Bighit and use the money you saved on what else but beer and hookers!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Zark said:
How about a BETD Big Hit kit. They sell a seatstay that lets you run a 26" with only minor geo. changes. Get a 26" wheel on that Bighit and use the money you saved on what else but beer and hookers!
I was looking into that but was told it was a huge waste of money, it throws the bike off completely.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i just went from a 60lb scream with a monster to about a 42ish lb DHR with a Ti avy and 888rc im currently building up. i think it will prove to be one of the best moves as far as bike buying/building i have ever made as far as racing for next season goes.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
quickneonrt said:
I would be very leary of a sub 40lb dh bike.
Whys this? Its quite easy to build a sub 40lb DH bike without comprimising strength.

From the time i've spent on my v10 I'm very much sold on the VPP design. It certainly isnt the most efficent pedaler, but the way it tracks and carries speed more than makes up for it. Honestly, if your looking for a purebred race machine I'd consider the M3 the most. Its lower and longer than the v10. On paper, the bike seems to take the best of both worlds. You'll get the agility and cornering of a DHR, and the stability and plow of the v10. I honestly would have gotten one if I wasnt scared away by horror stories regarding intense as a company.

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
ya a sub 40 lb bike can be very burly.my bighit was 38.sumthin and it was very very sturdy. when i mentioned steel, i didnt mean it was automatically a tank as i have a sub 20 lb fixed gear that is steel. i also had the bike confused with lances personal ride, which is a 12" behemoth or sumthing like that. but it is heavy. im also looking toward something i can get through my shop. i cannot order santa cruz or Iron Horse. that is the reason i was looking for some small manufacturers names

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
crazybiker300 said:
also one thing i dont like about the demos is that they've developed a reputation in freeride, so therefore when people see you on one they expect it of you to huck it off of a skyscraper.
Umm, sure.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Ill throw out my vote for a Demo 8 and Turner DHR both bikes are excellent at what they do. I just got a Demo 8 and sold my DHR both bikes are sweet. I had the Turner set up with a 888 and avalanche now im running a 40 and DHX on the Demo. The DHR was about 43 lbs with Deemax,E.13,Hope M4's, and Northshore Cranks. The Demo is slightly under (i think) but i have not weighed it in.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
SBDownhillRacer said:
how much does your demo 9 weigh complete because im looking into it.
46lb w/dh tubes 2.5 maxxis tires hr rear and minion fr, 888r w/flat crowns,e-13,dhx w/ti spring, juicy 7s, thompson seat post, crank brs 5050xx pedals, diablous os stem and bars, sram shifter and cassette, pig dh hs, ruffian lock-ons danger boy end caps. Stock seat wheels and cranks.