Quantcast

DH frame options- aluminum, external routing, dropper compatible?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
So I haven't had the luck with those stick-on cable guides. In cases where the guide is keeping the cable in a location, like when it bends, the bend tends to apply pressure to force the guide to eventually pop off. Short of going to some super epoxy, I don't find they work very well.
Good to know. Worst case scenario I could probably just add a zip tie to high stress attachment points. It would look kinda janky, but better than the alternative.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Nice find, I hadn't seen that option. Easy to forget about this brand for some reason.

Good looking bike! Looks like you went for a frame up build? Any reason you routed the brake line along the top tube rather than the down tube?
I'd guess because of the CS length increasing due to HP, versus running it across the main pivot line.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
So I haven't had the luck with those stick-on cable guides. In cases where the guide is keeping the cable in a location, like when it bends, the bend tends to apply pressure to force the guide to eventually pop off. Short of going to some super epoxy, I don't find they work very well.
I've been running them on all my bike since internal became a thing. You need to be mindful of where you place them - ie in spots where the hose isn't putting a high amount of leverage on them. You also can't place them on a flat surface, there needs to be some convex to the part of the tube you're placing them on. With proper placement I can go a whole year without having to replace any of them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I haven't had the luck with those stick-on cable guides. In cases where the guide is keeping the cable in a location, like when it bends, the bend tends to apply pressure to force the guide to eventually pop off. Short of going to some super epoxy, I don't find they work very well.
Did you prep the frame by degreasing/cleaning with IPA then heat the adhesive while sticking it to the frame and leave to cure. I don't know about the sticky guides you use but the 3M VHB adhesive pads you use for sticking GoPro mounts to helmets/frames etc. Stick really securely with that procedure. Infact they're pretty difficult to remove when you want to.
Maybe even try replacing the adhesive on the guides you have with 3M VHB tape.
Jagwire stick on cable guides come with 3M adhesive pads

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
They should have thought about that 12-15 years ago when they moved everything oversea.

Remember that post about Iron Horse shipping things all over the world, back and forth 3-4 times?
manufacturing costs aside, i wonder if this had anything to do w/ treks decision on the new session - doubtful, but i wonder if this will drive changes in the future.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you look below on that thread, I address this opinion too. If you discount all the freight associated costs, aluminium frames should be cheaper than carbon.
If you look below on that thread, I address this opinion too. If you discount all the freight associated costs, aluminium frames should be cheaper than carbon.
not sure where you're going with this? aluminum frame are already cheaper than their carbon counterparts.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
not sure where you're going with this? aluminum frame are already cheaper than their carbon counterparts.
I was specifically addressing the Trek case. Personal opinion here, but I think they're trying to greenwash themselves by choosing to go through a cheaper route, while still charging more for aluminium frames. Commencal stated they wouldn't do carbon back in the day for the same excat reasons Trek is *discovering* right now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was specifically addressing the Trek case. Personal opinion here, but I think they're trying to greenwash themselves by choosing to go through a cheaper route, while still charging more for aluminium frames. Commencal stated they wouldn't do carbon back in the day for the same excat reasons Trek is *discovering* right now.
charging more than what for their aluminum frames? than the corresponding carbon models of the same frame? because that's not the case.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
charging more than what for their aluminum frames? than the corresponding carbon models of the same frame? because that's not the case.
not yet

introducing the new extra greenwashed co2 free aluminium frame sourced from icelandic aluminium smelting powered by geothermal power transported to the us of a by green ammonia powered ships. this will cost you dearly.

1633978494819.gif

Attachments

Last edited: