Quantcast

DH frame selection

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Basically looking for something with similar fitment geometry as an XL V10 29er, but since the Dutch royal family doesn't think I'm rich enough to own one of those, I'm looking at other options.

490ish reach (this is also dependent on HA and front-center measurement).
450ish chainstay
Easy shock access
Strongly prefer something with a lifetime warranty and not something exotic. I expect to have this for a long time with use 3-4x a season.
Not racing anything. Just beating up bike parks with it.
Slightly concerned with how sluggish a high pivot 29er will be with a lot of travel and weight.

TR11 is a strong contender. Between sizes for L and XL according to the numbers though.
The Propain looks really good, but might be too exotic if support is ever needed.
Nukeproof also looks good, but shorter warranty coverage.
Jedi? Can't find much about the new ones.

It's been years since I looked at everything that's out there in the DH bike realm. What else am I missing here?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For lifetime warranty (does anyone offer that on a DH frame) I would think it would need to be something like a specialized/trek/giant?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For lifetime warranty (does anyone offer that on a DH frame) I would think it would need to be something like a specialized/trek/giant?
I think Santa Cruz does. So does Transition.

The new Glory looks neat but still have never seen one in person.

The largest (S4) Demo is still on the small side. Odd one there.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Propain has 5 years warranty, but they are known for helping out their customers even if the frame is out of warranty.
Raaw Yalla?
Canyon Sender (6 years warranty)?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nukeproof also looks good, but shorter warranty coverage.
Dunno what it's like where you are. But here NP have been known to continue to give warranty support after the official timescale through their dealer network. They're also really efficient at getting replacement frames out.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Liking the session HP...Don't know what warranty is but bike is fast, corners well and handles chop..

Jedi #2 is badass, slung a leg over one , feels like it pockets corners better than before...always fast in the nasty... I can attest to Lances customer service and Michelle...both solid people...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What about a new Glory?
(no idea if geo/sizing is similar for you)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Dunno what it's like where you are. But here NP have been known to continue to give warranty support after the official timescale through their dealer network. They're also really efficient at getting replacement frames out.
USA. Not sure how/if that affects things.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I know you're in the US. I meant being early days I wasn't sure how well set up or decently run NP is with you guys.
Jon's reply gives you a better idea.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
nicolai comes to mind... possibly a bit on the exotic end of things, but they've been around an awful long time. while its not a lifetime warranty... its 5 years plus a guarantee of parts supply for 10, not sure if anyone else is offering the second part.

edit: XL G19 is 495 reach and 452 chainstay, and a touch over $800 cheaper than a v10.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
2 yr warranty on their dh bikes, and i've read tales about folks having difficulty getting them to honor it even within that timeframe (but not just on their DH bikes)
From what I hear you REALLY have to use that warranty too. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Sorry for the OT Kanye.
Story? What has Canfield to do with that?
Note exactly what I quoted, just the one name and I didn't mention Canfield, just about her being good people. I don't know her, but she pocketed $400 of my money and lots of other peoples. Speaking of which, you still need to tell me what I owe you for the airspring! :D

MTB Parks Pass was for discounted lift tickets across lots of North American bike parks. Wife and I had used them for a few years before 2020. Rather than just a season pass to a single park we got to head to multiple resorts instead.

Then the pandemic happened and they allowed people to defer their already paid for 2020 pass to 2021. Then mid-2021 they said they weren't offering a pass that year, but would refund those people who had deferred.

No refunds were given.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Sorry for the OT Kanye.

Note exactly what I quoted, just the one name and I didn't mention Canfield, just about her being good people. I don't know her, but she pocketed $400 of my money and lots of other peoples. Speaking of which, you still need to tell me what I owe you for the airspring! :D

MTB Parks Pass was for discounted lift tickets across lots of North American bike parks. Wife and I had used them for a few years before 2020. Rather than just a season pass to a single park we got to head to multiple resorts instead.

Then the pandemic happened and they allowed people to defer their already paid for 2020 pass to 2021. Then mid-2021 they said they weren't offering a pass that year, but would refund those people who had deferred.

No refunds were given.
Thanks! Ugh, sounds like a shitty situation.
Oops, totally forgot that I didn't send you the price. Will do, need to find the bill of the order.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Apologies for the off topic.

Everyone that lost their money from their 2020 MTB Parks Pass would like to comment. That's $400 that I didn't get back.
Wasn't aware of that, I know her from before and after that chatting over the years . I didn't do a pass and had just got back into riding after the hiatus and brain injury.. so hadn't communicated with them for a bit..but she has always been on top of stuff when asked and lance has always gotten back to me and ALWAYS has the same enthus as Chris just more toned down lol...

Sorry to hear that , I'm sure it has to do with some other stuff and a few different things, doesn't make it right....but I'd have a hard time thinking it was intentional...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Raaw yalla, maybe?
Reach, as many other things on this bike, is adjustable thanks to the 56mm headset cups

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Raaw yalla, maybe?
Reach, as many other things on this bike, is adjustable thanks to the 56mm headset cups
You need glasses, I already suggested it. ;)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
nicolai comes to mind... possibly a bit on the exotic end of things, but they've been around an awful long time. while its not a lifetime warranty... its 5 years plus a guarantee of parts supply for 10, not sure if anyone else is offering the second part.

edit: XL G19 is 495 reach and 452 chainstay, and a touch over $800 cheaper than a v10.
It's transferable warranty too, so that should help resale if you don't like it.
Or you can just buy a used one, not sure I've ever seen a pic of a broken Nicolai DH frame........
Guess there'd be some on the German forums.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Yt apparently doesn't have parts to cover warranties. 2 month wait on my buddy's new Tues.
2 friends of mine warrantied their Capras. Both Capras developed cracks at the chainstay bridge (let's call it drain hole). It took YT some time to get their chainstays back (they were saying they have no spare parts). They cracked them once again, 2 weeks later after receiving the replacements. They took the paint off to see wtf was going on. Now here is the funny part. Those m'fkers just covered the cracks with bondo and painted them over, then shipped it back as the replacements. Fck those twats.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
2 friends of mine warrantied their Capras. Both Capras developed cracks at the chainstay bridge (let's call it drain hole). It took YT some time to get their chainstays back (they were saying they have no spare parts). They cracked them once again, 2 weeks later after receiving the replacements. They took the paint off to see wtf was going on. Now here is the funny part. Those m'fkers just covered the cracks with bondo and painted them over, then shipped it back as the replacements. Fck those twats.
Bondo and paint is a lot of work

A good bike company designs stickers to cover crack prone areas.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
No chance they'd crack there from welding stresses and the paint would hide it for a bit? Forever ago my replacement Corsair came with a crack, the frame looked brand new.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Nothing yet. Not in a tremendous rush. Entertaining the idea of a used V10 29er since I realistically won't be putting THAT much time onto the bike. Transition won't have stock of TR11s until fall.
I'd do the V10...I want to run one at some point or a commencal v5 supreme ..

Love my trek session HP, It kills it...but always like trying new things.... Excited for you lol ..want to hear what you get and thoughts on how it handles

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'd do the V10...I want to run one at some point or a commencal v5 supreme ..

Love my trek session HP, It kills it...but always like trying new things.... Excited for you lol ..want to hear what you get and thoughts on how it handles
Rented one already in Whistler last year. Know what it's about.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I always thought YT was a Taiwan customer-direct brand, despite being "in germany". Their designs have always seemed to be strange to me.