Quantcast

DH frame selection

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Thoughts on Banshee?

Legend seems to check the boxes.
27.5, 200mm of rwt, and Fwiw, 150mm rear wheel spacing.

Fwiw, the GT doesn't seem to be 27.5 anymore.

The Session aluminum is $3k, but doesn't mention anything about wheel size.

Trek wants $4,300 for a carbon frame only. Lol! While everything else in the industry is on sale, DH bikes are still way overpriced.
If you want a reliable frame then the Banshee Legend is a good choice. I rode mine for a very long time and I used to crash a lot, land weird a lot and it survive my slow but abusive style. I know a few fast guys on them and they are happy. The only reported issue I remember was the 2011 or 2013 model had a series of bad iscg welds but that's it. If I wanted a DH bike I'd probably just get a legend.

As for YT - which year did you have? It's weird those Tues frames still crack on the chainstay since that has been the weak part literally from the first model in 2008 or somewhere around that time

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Ended up with a really clean used V10. I likely won't ride this thing enough for the warranty coverage to be an issue. Now trying to work some better manners into the Fox 40 with the non-VVC Grip2 on the front, and debating upgrading the 1st gen DHX2 on the back.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
With that said, I'd really like to find an older RC2 damper to drop into this thing. I've made pretty good headway with the valving that's in there but the transition definitely isn't the same.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Ended up with a really clean used V10. I likely won't ride this thing enough for the warranty coverage to be an issue. Now trying to work some better manners into the Fox 40 with the non-VVC Grip2 on the front, and debating upgrading the 1st gen DHX2 on the back.
Dump that x2 for an rc4 while your at it.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
If you want a reliable frame then the Banshee Legend is a good choice. I rode mine for a very long time and I used to crash a lot, land weird a lot and it survive my slow but abusive style. I know a few fast guys on them and they are happy. The only reported issue I remember was the 2011 or 2013 model had a series of bad iscg welds but that's it. If I wanted a DH bike I'd probably just get a legend.

As for YT - which year did you have? It's weird those Tues frames still crack on the chainstay since that has been the weak part literally from the first model in 2008 or somewhere around that time
I'm still on my Devinci Wilson. My buddy's YT is this year's model.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm still on my Devinci Wilson. My buddy's YT is this year's model.
Is your buddy a biker? I mean like does he know the whole "two weeks" story and the whats wrong with industry thread?

Maybe he isn't being annoying enough to YT. I'd be on the phone with them every day.

Or refund the bike...

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Is your buddy a biker? I mean like does he know the whole "two weeks" story and the whats wrong with industry thread?

Maybe he isn't being annoying enough to YT. I'd be on the phone with them every day.

Or refund the bike...
He's riding his Status and having fun. He's ridden at bike parks for about 8 years on bikes like an ancient Gemini and a friends Slash.

Doubt that he knows about the Evil thingy.

Probably doesn't care about the YT since he's riding and having fun. He mostly rides weekdays in the morning and about 3/4 days a week. As long as he's riding I think he's happy.

That said, I know he's pissed off at breaking a 2 day old bike. Look at the other bikes he's ridden (and crashed) and not broke. A Gemini for fuck sake! Lol!