Quantcast

DH frame selection

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Basically looking for something with similar fitment geometry as an XL V10 29er, but since the Dutch royal family doesn't think I'm rich enough to own one of those, I'm looking at other options.

490ish reach (this is also dependent on HA and front-center measurement).
450ish chainstay
Easy shock access
Strongly prefer something with a lifetime warranty and not something exotic. I expect to have this for a long time with use 3-4x a season.
Not racing anything. Just beating up bike parks with it.
Slightly concerned with how sluggish a high pivot 29er will be with a lot of travel and weight.

TR11 is a strong contender. Between sizes for L and XL according to the numbers though.
The Propain looks really good, but might be too exotic if support is ever needed.
Nukeproof also looks good, but shorter warranty coverage.
Jedi? Can't find much about the new ones.

It's been years since I looked at everything that's out there in the DH bike realm. What else am I missing here?
Remember Scott makes DH bikes. I loved my Genius (not a dh bike, but still, would bang again).

I don't think they make anything bad.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
While we're at it, who makes aluminum 27.5 DH bikes? Since YT apparently can't warranty/crash replace anything in less than 2 months, my buddy wants to tell YT to go fuck themselves and questioning the point/quality of carbon on DH bikes. So what's available these days in 27.5 aluminum frames?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
While we're at it, who makes aluminum 27.5 DH bikes? Since YT apparently can't warranty/crash replace anything in less than 2 months, my buddy wants to tell YT to go fuck themselves and questioning the point/quality of carbon on DH bikes. So what's available these days in 27.5 aluminum frames?
Hmm...Buy an alu mullet long travel enduro bike and slap on a DH fork on it and call it a day? Seems to work for Ritchie on his Yeti. Not alu, and I'm sure your friend is not Ritchie, but yeah. If I had the time and money, I'd give it a go.

That is a good point, tho. Who makes 275 anymore that's not mullet? In any kind of bike range? Might have to see what's on the used/second-hand marketplace.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Should be possible to retain good DH geometry by slapping a 29" DH fork on a long travel Derp Mullet frame BUT running a 27.5" front wheel and dropping the stanchions in the crowns. No?
New 29" Boxxer even comes in a 48mm offset option

But TBF if you're set on wanting a full 27.5 DH bike just buy something second hand complete.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Just throw a DH fork with a 27.5 wheel and a Cascade link on a Patrol. That's almost wheelre I'm at with my Spire but it's still not the same as a full DH bike for multiple days in a row.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Norco shore

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Someone’s forgotten the sins of Twinloc
This is true. My Genius is/was 2019, so "mostly" a regular bike. I did post a pick of the complicated handlebar mounted suspension gadgetry. It's not bad. It's just one more thing to maintain.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Not advocating for Trek session but it is 27.5 or 29 or mullet aluminum high pivot idler and has major down tube protection for rocks and shuttling. The largest fits me pretty damn well..

Jedi is still alloy don't know if it can be 27.5 I know it can be mullet or 29..

I did opt alloy on the dh bike...my other 2 non DH are carbon fiber...

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have one of those dt nude shocks that came in my 2013 spark. It was awful. I do have it sitting in a box, just as a reminder so I don't let history repeat itself
What did you replace it with?

On my son's Ransom, the Nude rear shock seems to be a standard DPS with a complicated air can. I just ditched the cable and lowered the IFP pressure. From what I could see riding behind him, the rear wheel was tracking the ground, the shock did not buck him on jumps and my son was happy. Surely, at 12 years old, he might not be nitpicking like a seasoned veteran! :brows:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Thoughts on Banshee?

Legend seems to check the boxes.
27.5, 200mm of rwt, and Fwiw, 150mm rear wheel spacing.

Fwiw, the GT doesn't seem to be 27.5 anymore.

The Session aluminum is $3k, but doesn't mention anything about wheel size.

Trek wants $4,300 for a carbon frame only. Lol! While everything else in the industry is on sale, DH bikes are still way overpriced.

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Here we go!

Taking the YT apart and transferring the parts to "his" old frame...

I feel bad for him, but maybe these companies shouldn't be making shit that breaks if it hits a rock or a stick in the woods? Ya know, "mountain biking".

20230730_172355.jpg

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The chainstay. He endo'd and the bike must have hit a rock. It definitely wasn't high speed. He stood right up and got the bike from the side of the trail and saw a "chip in the paint". He didn't look too close I guess. It was late and we finished our run. At the bottom of Creek, all 4 of us called it quits. When he put the bike on the rack he noticed that the chainstay had several cracks in it.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The chainstay. He endo'd and the bike must have hit a rock. It definitely wasn't high speed. He stood right up and got the bike from the side of the trail and saw a "chip in the paint". He didn't look too close I guess. It was late and we finished our run. At the bottom of Creek, all 4 of us called it quits. When he put the bike on the rack he noticed that the chainstay had several cracks in it.
east coast rox

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Not sure why you blame the frame then. Sounds like the price you pay to play. :confused:
An alumnium frame would have been dented and most likely also sketchy to ride.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Not sure why you blame the frame then. Sounds like the price you pay to play. :confused:
An alumnium frame would have been dented and most likely also sketchy to ride.
Not really. First off, it's not mine.

Second, I personally have had my share of wrecks on my DH bikes and I've had chips out of the carbon on my Devinci Wilson and Spartan. I took a good chunk out of the Spartan on its maiden voyage and wanted to buy a replacement seatstay, but it never progressed. That was a hit with me still on the bike and right into a pointed rock. That bike is my go-to and I never once felt it would fail with me on it. It's been to Blue and Creek with zero issues. So I don't see how every wreck should make you scrap a bike frame.

Ya know, mountain biking.

Third, 1-2 months is the real bummer here. Shit happens, but that's going to be the end of the season and the bike has 2 days of riding on it.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
if only every mountain biking "wreck" were exactly the same, eh?

What's "Blue and creek" BTW? sounds like a dodgy aftershave gift box you might get for christmas but wouldn't ever open

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
if only every mountain biking "wreck" were exactly the same, eh?

What's "Blue and creek" BTW? sounds like a dodgy aftershave gift box you might get for christmas but wouldn't ever open
Ones a pile of rocks that's held together with rocks and smaller rocks. Dentist get lots of customers from here. Should be a test ground for suspension companies.

The other is a pile of dirt and rocks that's washed out and has about 45 "mountain creeks" running down it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ones a pile of rocks that's held together with rocks and smaller rocks. Dentist get lots of customers from here. Should be a test ground for suspension companies.

The other is a pile of dirt and rocks that's washed out and has about 45 "mountain creeks" running down it.
unrelated, let me know next time you venture out to Blue.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Intense trauma formed bias?
No, mountain biking, you know? Crashing into things is rarely good for your bike and body. Blaming the frame manufacturers that their frames cannot withstand crashes is ridiculous. Take the responsibility: if you crashed, it is you that fucked up, so all resulting blame is on you.*

* disclaimer: unless the frame/component snapped before the crash, then it is obvsly on the manufacturer.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
My jest hit target it would appear.

I agree with you that crashing can break things, catastrophically even.

I prioritize durability and would never purchase a DH bike that can't survive getting thrown thru the woods while I lawn dart in style.

So I think we agree, I blame the rider as well for purchasing or using a trail bike or subpar equipment on gnarly fun time trails. Sure you can do it, but will you or your bike survive?

If you are suggesting that a single crash should sideline any mountain bike, rather than a single crash may, well then the manufacturers must love you.

Frames should not be a short term consumables and yes they should be able to withstand reasonable forces from reasonable crash scenarios.

Engineering is hard, but that weakass excuse makes no sense to me with the prices I see on bikes. Although, I am the wrong consumer with my newest bike being 2017 and the avg wheel size of my 5 bikes is 25.5.

YMMV, but I crash routinely and yeah I need new hoops and a helmet now too, but my frames don't have an expectation of failure from crashing only potential.

I am sure it is my mad crashing skillz and not my luddite equipment spec, wouldn't want to praise or blame the manufacturer.

No, mountain biking, you know? Crashing into things is rarely good for your bike and body. Blaming the frame manufacturers that their frames cannot withstand crashes is ridiculous. Take the responsibility: if you crashed, it is you that fucked up, so all resulting blame is on you.*

* disclaimer: unless the frame/component snapped before the crash, then it is obvsly on the manufacturer.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My jest hit target it would appear.

I agree with you that crashing can break things, catastrophically even.

I prioritize durability and would never purchase a DH bike that can't survive getting thrown thru the woods while I lawn dart in style.

So I think we agree, I blame the rider as well for purchasing or using a trail bike or subpar equipment on gnarly fun time trails. Sure you can do it, but will you or your bike survive?

If you are suggesting that a single crash should sideline any mountain bike, rather than a single crash may, well then the manufacturers must love you.

Frames should not be a short term consumables and yes they should be able to withstand reasonable forces from reasonable crash scenarios.

Engineering is hard, but that weakass excuse makes no sense to me with the prices I see on bikes. Although, I am the wrong consumer with my newest bike being 2017 and the avg wheel size of my 5 bikes is 25.5.

YMMV, but I crash routinely and yeah I need new hoops and a helmet now too, but my frames don't have an expectation of failure from crashing only potential.

I am sure it is my mad crashing skillz and not my luddite equipment spec, wouldn't want to praise or blame the manufacturer.
Question is how you want to engineer for a crash. Sure, you can enforce the most common areas, but then the frames get hefty. Still, someone would crash onto something that you haven't protected.
As a rider, I would stay away from carbon if crashing is a big issue as the damage is less visible.
IMO manufacturers should either offer "amateur/park/punter" and "pro" models with the former being heavier and reinforced to keep the frame in one piece during crashes, or offer quick and cheap crash replacements.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF we've all broken things. But folk probably shouldn't whine so much about shit THEM crashing has caused to break.

If its a recurring issue probably do a bit of research into which brands seem to be strongest but more importantly which brands offer the easiest and best crash replacement customer service.
Rather than moan about brands who don't. But clearly state those terms when you buy their shit. It's almost as if there's a reason YT and Canyon etc. are cheaper than a lot of bigger brands.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I think this iryde guy is missing my main point that 1-2 months is a fucking redicoulous amount of time. Being that he just got on the bike in July and they tell him it prolly won't be ridable till October is really shitty customer service.

Ps. I'd guess being consumer direct is a reason their less expensive too as they're probably made alongside trek and others.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I think this iryde guy is missing my main point that 1-2 months is a fucking redicoulous amount of time. Being that he just got on the bike in July and they tell him it prolly won't be ridable till October is really shitty customer service.

Ps. I'd guess being consumer direct is a reason their less expensive too as they're probably made alongside trek and others.
As I wrote, I am fully with you on that, e.g.:
"... offer quick and cheap crash replacements."

However, most of your text is complaining about the frame not surviving a crash (which you consider "normal" use).
If you know as a rider that you crash a lot, I would not buy a carbon frame and not buy a YT as they have a reputation of long waiting times for warranty and crash replacements.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Race optimisation is absolutely unnecessary for 75% of the riders; but reliability, readily available spares and easy to understand standards are despised by the industry.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Race optimisation is absolutely unnecessary for 75% of the riders; but reliability, readily available spares and easy to understand standards are despised by the industry.
Consumers demand "new" versions of everything every year, which makes the logistics of spares a nightmare.