Quantcast

DH Frame Size for Big Guys....Hmmm..

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
So I keep reading how the big WC riders (Peaty, Rennie, etc.) have to get larger frames made for them since these guys are "giants" and standard Large frames don't fit. I dunno but at every race and bike park I've been to there has been more than a few over 6'2" guys there.

I thought feedback from the pros they sponsor is supposed to go back into their product designs. Isn't that why they pay them? Does the trickle-down theory now apply to sizing?

I'm assuming the frame manufacturers just don't think the market is big enough to deal with the hassle of another frame size. Or is it something else...?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm 6'4", I usually just get a large frame and it fits fine.

Some frames I've had:

large faith - fit great
19" kumicho r- fit great
medium/large Izimu - at first felt a little small but after the first few runs, I never noticed
large socom - fits great.

I don't run my seat super high or anything, it's a downhill bike after all, so where I really notice size is in the cockpit. Mainly - am I going to hit my knees on the bars when I'm trying to pedal? Most large sized frames seem to work fine for that.

What I DO have a gripe with is suspension. I'm ~200lbs +/- depending on if I've taken my pre-race poop or not. Most large frames come spec'd with a slightly heavier spring, but not really by too much so I usually have to imediately buy a new spring before I can ride. Most large complete bikes have a stiffer rear spring, but still the same noodily medium spring in the front fork so no matter what I'm buying a stiffer front spring before I can go out and ride.

It seems like bikes are designed around a 140lb rider most of the time.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
So I keep reading how the big WC riders (Peaty, Rennie, etc.) have to get larger frames made for them since these guys are "giants" and standard Large frames don't fit. I dunno but at every race and bike park I've been to there has been more than a few over 6'2" guys there.

I thought feedback from the pros they sponsor is supposed to go back into their product designs. Isn't that why they pay them? Does the trickle-down theory now apply to sizing?

I'm assuming the frame manufacturers just don't think the market is big enough to deal with the hassle of another frame size. Or is it something else...?
I think the obvious difference between pro's and joe's is their speed. For example, your standard rider (or even local pro) who's 5'11 or 6' will likely ride a 17" Sunday. Sam Hill on the other hand rode a custom frame that ended up being alot closer to a 19". He can't be more than 5'9 or 5'10. If you compare that size increase to someone like Minnaar or Peaty at 6'3, a standard large probably won't be quite as fast or as stable as they need. For 2009, I'm pretty sure both of them will be on XL's (allthough Minnaar raced all last season on the stock Large)
Under that assumption, most XL frames won't have a huge market demand... But most of the pro's geometry gets scaled down for the consumer so there still is benefits to having the testing done. For example ook at the m6 for example, when it came out with the exact same geometry as Kovarik's bike, people complained it was too extreme and it needed to be more neutral (or not buzz the seat tube...so altered geometry was offered.) Same thing applies to wheelbase or top tube length...Most people won't need that extra length or the same geometry as the bigger pro's, so most companies keep it exclusive for those who really need it.

My take on the subject atleast...

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
I think the obvious difference between pro's and joe's is their speed. For example, your standard rider (or even local pro) who's 5'11 or 6' will likely ride a 17" Sunday. Sam Hill on the other hand rode a custom frame that ended up being alot closer to a 19". He can't be more than 5'9 or 5'10. If you compare that size increase to someone like Minnaar or Peaty at 6'3, a standard large probably won't be quite as fast or as stable as they need. For 2009, I'm pretty sure both of them will be on XL's (allthough Minnaar raced all last season on the stock Large)
Under that assumption, most XL frames won't have a huge market demand... But most of the pro's geometry gets scaled down for the consumer so there still is benefits to having the testing done. For example ook at the m6 for example, when it came out with the exact same geometry as Kovarik's bike, people complained it was too extreme and it needed to be more neutral (or not buzz the seat tube...so altered geometry was offered.) Same thing applies to wheelbase or top tube length...Most people won't need that extra length or the same geometry as the bigger pro's, so most companies keep it exclusive for those who really need it.

possibly the BEST reasoning i have ever seen on that topic

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Uggg, tell me about it. No frames really fit someone at 6'7" like myself, although a modified XL vpfree comes close.

I was riding an article in Dirt (I think) and they were talking about the new Lapierre bike. Basically they said the whole size line is designed for someone 5'8"ish. The Large is really a medium designed for someone 5'8" who wants a slightly bigger bike, the medium is really a small, or the "average" sized bike someone 5"8" would like, and the small is just slightly smaller than medium, designed for someone 5'8" who likes a smaller bike. Their logic was, best to have the best sizing options for the "average" rider than have bike sizes to fit everyone just okay. So ya....they must be on drugs, I don't know that many people who are 5'8"

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm 5'10.
I think I am the DH industry standard, other then being a fat bastard.
Anything "medium" fits me like a glove.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA

Good points - and I agree with most of that. Most people do not need need the same geometry as the top guys or crazy-long chainstays like Athertons. I don't need or want my BB scraping on the ground like Hill.

I'm thinking fit (cockpit) and I don't feel that the bigger size is strictly due to stability and increased speed that only the top few guys need. I guess we all have personal preferences though. Seb is 6'2" and rides a medium. I would cry if I had to ride a medium.

I personally feel that most larges (I know, they're all different) are tight in the cockpit for me. Sure they're fun to play on and jump around but for going fast and racing I like something a little bigger (or should I say longer). I have a XL 2006 SX trail and it is really big - and I love it for DH. I just wish I could get a full-on DH frame in those numbers, kinda like Peat, Minaar and Rennie are getting.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm going to have to take a look at Peaty or Minaar's bikes next time I see them. They always just looked like larges to me.

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting the numbers from/what are they?

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
for the 2008 season all the syndicate ran standard L frames apart from peaty who had a longer one

but for 2009 theyre custom or something, i dont really know im just going by **** i hear

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Percentage-wise, size huge DH bikes just don't sell in large qtys. Because they don't sell as well the companies either don't make them or make a tiny number of them.

Even if you go to a race and look, seems like most guys who are 6'2"+ and should be on a large or XL DH bike ride mediums. Us tall folk are often our own worse enemy. We'd rather be fashionable than have a goofier looking bike. The reasons I usually hear for not riding a large bike are: "the large/XL looks funny", "I like smaller bikes", "the medium will be easier to sell at the end of the year", or "I couldn't find a large/the company was out of them".

Tall guys might make up oh, 25% of the riders but even selling 10% of your order in a big size can be tough sometimes. When the numbers guy looks at sku counts and inventory costs or a factory sees a small qty for a size the product manager will be asked to cut it. In the US we get lucky to get the big sizes! Overseas it's a struggle to find big frames sometimes, even in trail or all mtn bikes b/c distributors can't meet the MOQs.

Not trying to intentionally spam, rather to give insight. For Evil, we're making four sizes on the Revolt; all are sized by eff TT vs ST length. This will hopefully make some people more comfortable in their bigger frame size purchase. We also are offering a size that falls between a lot of other "medium" and "large" frames as it seems that guys in that 6' - 6'2" range are too cramped on "mediums" but "larges" are too long.

-ska todd

Last edited:

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
talking about looks is right, id ride a M sunday even though id probably be a bit better on a L just because that gusset connecting the seattube and top tube is awful

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
dang, I don't know how you guys ride smaller frames. I pedaled around a coulple of different medium frames and if I had one of those my knees would have permanant handlebar marks in em.