Quantcast

DH/Freeriders -- Race Alert!!

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
I wanted everyone to hear about a Freeride race on Whidbey Island on May 26 this year. I rode the DH/XC catagory at last years Winthrop Fat Tire Festival, and thought it was a great catagory, so I'm working with One Speed Productions to have a Freeride catagory as part of the annual Whidbey Mudder. Ride your Big Squish rig on the XC course! We'll throw in several jumps/drops just for you guys!! We're requiring single front chainring(32 tooth minimum), at least four inches travel front and rear (bigger the better, right??). Hard core's will ride full face helmets and pads!! Let's show those skinny little weight weenies how to ride!!!
**Update**
We've changed the catagory a bit, due to several requests. There will be a under 125mm travel catagory, including freeride hard tails, and short travel dually's, and a 125mm or more catagory for long travel dually's only. This should include more riders, and even the field a bit. Please Email Rob at OneSpeed Productions website if you're interested. More riders means we'll put more work into the course!!!

More info at One Speeds website: Http://onespeed.tripod.com/races/mudder02.html

Speedball

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
San Francisco
I'm a S. Whidbey native and will try my hardest to get up there for that race. It sounds great.

Will the DH/Freeride class also have to do several laps or will they just do one lap on the 4.5 mile course? Thanks

-Speedball

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
Right now, were looking at two 4.5 mile laps. Were working in the venue to increase the course distance to 5 or 5.5 miles. If we can do it, we may drop the freeride catagory down to one lap. What's your input? Also, where on Whidbey are you native to?? Always sweet to ride with Islanders....

Speedball

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
San Francisco
I would think that a 4 to 5 mile race on a Downhill bike with a single ring upfront would be a good length. I would think the race would be better kept shorter and faster rather than longer. If you the race is out by the airport I would think there would be plenty of places to build up stump drops, teeter totters, bridges and maybe even some doubles

I'm orginally from the Langley area (I live in the Nor Cal now) but was up riding on Whidbey last summer on my way to Whistler. We even built some stunts out in the clear-cuts near Lone Lake (I have no idea if they are still around)