Quantcast

DH Handlebars

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if stiffness were the primary concern, it would be neat to devise an integrated stem/crown system that mounted way out on the crown and fully utilized that clamping area....

but I don't think anybody needs that much stiffness on a DH bike.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I might actually cut my bars down this season. MAYBE.
I regret cutting the sunlines on my trail bike to 28 :(

But coming from 26.5 wide bars a few years ago, I got used to the narrow bars again.

Sorry to derail slightly, but did anyone here grow up riding bmx when castillo bars were cool? Everyone cut the s*** out of those and they wound up being around 24"

It's amazing what you can adapt to and how trends always change and go full circle.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
True, I don't want them down to 28, but they sit at 32 (800mm stock) right now....I'm about 5'11". I know that somewhere technically somebody has a formula that tells me I'm doing it wrong...but it feels good man. I've always ridden bars as wide as possible...it just feels more comfortable.

I remember riding a buddy's BMX in high school and it felt like a clown bike. Tiniest handlebars.

Oct 9, 2006
http://www.hucknroll.com/mountainbike/Loaded-AmX-Handlebar/LOA0003M.html

I have a pair of these and at 790mm I was expecting to cut them down immediately but gave them a whirl and really like them. I was coming from a bar that was about 27.5 wide and have been running them around that length from years and thought those felt wide. The more I have ridden the 790mm's the more I like them. It has cut down on my x-up steeze but I am too old for that stuff anyhow. Don't know the weight but the felt pretty light to me. and they dont lose their taper til right where they start to drop to the stem so you have a lot of length to play with for shifter/brake mounting.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I regret cutting the sunlines on my trail bike to 28 :(

But coming from 26.5 wide bars a few years ago, I got used to the narrow bars again.

Sorry to derail slightly, but did anyone here grow up riding bmx when castillo bars were cool? Everyone cut the s*** out of those and they wound up being around 24"

It's amazing what you can adapt to and how trends always change and go full circle.
i still have a set of 4pc bars that are slammed as fvck. not even long enough to keep the grip off the bend.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I like dem but I worry that the huuuuuuuuge middle section might cut into the amount of space reserved for grips n ****.
Its all about the Gravity Lite's - not actually lightm but ~32" uncut, wide mounting area, and stiff and burly as hell.

Im 260, so I like tough bars (which is why my AM bike runs MonkeyLite DH!) - and these things are ill.

But not light.

Did I mention they're a little portly?

woot