Quantcast

DH Helmets and Kits at Interbike

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
That Fox helmet, frankly, looks awkward. With the chin guard extending so far out from the face and with it being as big as it is, it looks like it'd be more of a hindrance than anything else.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
What about safety of this new Fox helmet? What tests does it pass? I would think that's slightly moar important for a high end helmet than making sure the colorway matches my new kit.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
That Fox helmet, frankly, looks awkward. With the chin guard extending so far out from the face and with it being as big as it is, it looks like it'd be more of a hindrance than anything else.
And you are talking abut which one exactly?? They all look normal to me.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
for this season, i give up bicycle helmets.
quite a few friends have gotten concussions (one was in coma for a couple days) over the last 2 years.
apparently, the eps on bicycle helmets bottom out easily. the one who was in coma, fell off a cliff, bouncing down for like 120ft, headbutting rocks all the way down. his TLD D2 broken in 2, and was bottomed out in like different 3 places.

just bought a DOT/SNELL V2 Race for downhill racing / big mountain riding.

we´ll see how it ventilates. even if it doesnt.. i rather have a multi-impact helmet, with a thicker eps, even if i sweat a bit more; than being in coma.

Last edited:

UncleHowie

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
Switzerland
just bought a DOT/SNELL V2 Race for downhill racing / big mountain riding.

we´ll see how it ventilates. even if it doesnt.. i rather have a multi-impact helmet, with a thicker eps, even if i sweat a bit more; than being in coma.
I'm riding with a V3 Carbon, the ventilation isn't that bad. And it's lighter than my friends D3.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
apparently, the eps on bicycle helmets bottom out easily. the one who was in coma, fell off a cliff, bouncing down for like 120ft, headbutting rocks all the way down. his TLD D2 broken in 2, and was bottomed out in like different 3 places.
I would disagree. From what I have seen looking at a few helmets after crashes that have resulted in minor concussions, there is usually barely any visible crushing of the EPS. The goal is to crush the helmet, thereby absorbing the energy instead of transmitting it to your brain. So, there should be a lot of helmet damage after a bad crash.

Your friend's helmet sounds like it worked exactly as intended. If he fell off a cliff, tumbled for another 120ft hitting more rocks, yes, his helmet should be pretty much destroyed.

And, this is why I want to see helmet test data- so we have actual facts to base our helmet safety decisions from, instead of speculation. Even my thoughts above are still based on some speculation, albeit I still think there should be some noticeable helmet crushing in a crash that results in a minor concussion.