Quantcast

DH hub/rim suggestions

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
After going through 4 Deemax freehubs in a year, I am officially off the whole idea of mavic hubs. The whole having to bust them down after every race, double check the teeth, all that, just to have them last 1/2 a season.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do for hubs/rims this year?

I wanted to go King/823, but it gets real spendy real fast to be a king lover.

I am a bigger guy, I don't like having to rip my bike down, and I really like tubeless.

Is there a machine made wheelset worth anything these days? I9? DT?

Thanks in advance

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
After going through 4 Deemax freehubs in a year, I am officially off the whole idea of mavic hubs. The whole having to bust them down after every race, double check the teeth, all that, just to have them last 1/2 a season.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do for hubs/rims this year?

I wanted to go King/823, but it gets real spendy real fast to be a king lover.

I am a bigger guy, I don't like having to rip my bike down, and I really like tubeless.

Is there a machine made wheelset worth anything these days? I9? DT?

Thanks in advance
I9 wheels are great and are not machine made. They are however some of the most expensive wheels available and if you are complaining about the price of kings then you won't like the price of I9's. But I do think they are the nicest wheels available and I have a set of the I9 DH/FR hubs and spokes laced up to 823's. I originally had DT 6.1 rims laced up to my I-9's and soon got rid of them. They were total **** and were beat and dented to hell in a matter of 2 months. That might have been okay if the butter soft rims actually prevented flats, but I got quite a few with them and since going tubeless with 823's I've yet to get a flat and unlike XC tires, you don't really need the Stan's to keep them from losing pressure over night.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
I-9's are the best wheel I have ever owned, but better than that, the guys who work there are seriously great to work with. Ask for Jeff or Brandy, definitely worth supporting these guys.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
my next nice wheelset will be 823s on industry 9s.with polished hubs and blue spokes.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
DT rims are pretty stinkin' soft and tend to dent and ding really easily. I'm a Mavic fan myself. I have Mavic 729s laced to Hadley hubs and it's a super durable wheelset. Definitely heavy, but totally bombproof, which I need because I weigh 200 lbs and ride really rocky trails. For something significantly lighter (and less expensive), check out Hope Pro2 hubs and Mavic 721 rims.

As far as I9 wheels go, I actually just ordered a set of their standard-flange hubs today to build up some wheels for my new all-mountain bike. I thought about getting their factory-built wheels, but the price, combined with an 8 week wait, was a pretty big deterrent. I'm sure their wheels are nice and stiff and everything, but I think there's a lot to be said for using standard spokes, which makes it possible to find a replacement spoke for your wheels at any bike shop in the world. Also, for someone like myself who is hard on wheels, it's nice to know that I can easily buy new rims and spokes and re-build my wheels using my existing hubs if I have to. It's a lot harder to do that if you have the custom-machined I9 spokes and everything.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
For hub, why not go Hadley? I've had one I haven't done anything more than hose the mud off of for two years now on my big bike and its going strong. The kings that have been on my girlfriend's bike for less than a year I've already had to re-grease once and re-tighten the hub twice... I could be doing something wrong with those however since I don't know much about kings.

Oct 14, 2007
I'm presently built a I9 wheelset [Gold] on a arrow dhx [black] rim
should be killa strong, gonna be selling them mint thought

thats an idea you can use...but once again pricy...but hey look at it this way, they will lst you longer and would be worth the extra few more you put in initially

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I am starting to come to that conclusion as well. I might have to spring for more up front, but if I can avoid the constant rip down/truing I was doing after most races last season, it could be worth the initial outlay of more.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i got industries this winter and have to say that i will never get anything else. i like most people got them with 823s because u certainly cant destroy that rim