Quantcast

DH in colorado springs?

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Hey guys, I am gonna be attending Colorado College in Colorado Springs starting next fall. I ride DH, freeride, etc. and I want to know if there's any good downhilling in the area? Or some good, hard, gnarly trails or something? Also, where is the nearest place with a lift? Any other places nearby that are good DH spots? I'm excited to ride in Colorado (coming from Arizona), hope I'll see you there later this year.

dwj

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
colorado
there is all kinds of great riding here. palmer park is in the middle of town. there isn't much elevation gain/loss but it has some of the most technical trails in the state. check out http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=95563 and http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=94342 and you can ride there year round.

cheyenne canon is about 10min. by car or 30min. by bike from cc and has endless miles of trail. there are a couple of different 10-14 mile all dh runs. there is also a new freeride park that is suppose to built at the bottom of red rock canyon this summer.

keystone is the best place for lift assisted riding and is about 2 1\2 hrs away.

krazykow

Chimp
Apr 3, 2005
the is palmer park, which is about 15min by car, 40 min by bike. you can have a buddy shuttle you to the top of cobblestone, and then switch off. cobblestone is only about a 5min dh run though, but very fun.

sk8kid33

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Colorado Springs
krazykow it takes my about 15 minutes coming from cc to PP on my demo 9, 20 minutes if I go slow. PP is good but its not worth the hassle if you just want dh, go about a 15 minute drive from CC get shuttled up gold camp road, then up high line drive. You take captain jacks, down to the chutes make for about a half hour of fun dh berms everyturn!!!! or go up a litttle higher and start with pipeline (used to have a bunch stunts still some just all hidden) then from there you get on captain jacks and the chutes, really fun ride!!!!!

dwj

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
colorado
tuesday night shuttle meets at bristol brewing co. on south tejon at 5:30. give jason a call for more info (719)330-0293

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
sk8kid33 said:
krazykow it takes my about 15 minutes coming from cc to PP on my demo 9, 20 minutes if I go slow. PP is good but its not worth the hassle if you just want dh, go about a 15 minute drive from CC get shuttled up gold camp road, then up high line drive. You take captain jacks, down to the chutes make for about a half hour of fun dh berms everyturn!!!! or go up a litttle higher and start with pipeline (used to have a bunch stunts still some just all hidden) then from there you get on captain jacks and the chutes, really fun ride!!!!!
Hey Jose, is Pipeline thawed out yet? We should go riding there soon.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
I must say that I'm psyched to be heading down there. I'll be at UCCS for the school year next year so it's good to hear that there is all that riding available down there.

dream4est

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
uccs is only a few minutes ride to palmer park huck spots. have fun. you will like that cheyenne canyon long dh/freeride run. i did it last year with a broken wrist and it was the best ride i did all season.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
DHblur said:
I must say that I'm psyched to be heading down there. I'll be at UCCS for the school year next year so it's good to hear that there is all that riding available down there.
Kickass man. We'll have to go riding a lot. :D

caliCO

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Colorado
keystones way sick, im moving to boulder this summer and i have a cabin right next to it. other than that i dont know a whole lot of places to ride either, like i said, ill be in boulder, not the springs

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
ProCycling's the best in my opinion. Not necessarily downhill orientated but definitely the higher end of cycling and varies from having top of the line Orbea road bikes to having AS-Xs in stock. Its my favorite shop. :D

sk8kid33

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Colorado Springs
actually pro cycling stocks no asxs right now. at performance we got 2 giant faith a 2 and 3, ther all on sale for under 2 grand right now. and bike village has a demo 8 and a trek 77 and an m1 so either one carries dh stuff or can get it to you, but definetly performance has the most DH oriented staff at least

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
sk8kid33 said:
actually pro cycling stocks no asxs right now. at performance we got 2 giant faith a 2 and 3, ther all on sale for under 2 grand right now. and bike village has a demo 8 and a trek 77 and an m1 so either one carries dh stuff or can get it to you, but definetly performance has the most DH oriented staff at least
They were building up an 05 a few weeks ago but it might have been a special order that had just come in. Last season they had 3-5 in stock most of th time. BV has trek 77's now? I'm gonna have to check those out. :D

dwj

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
colorado
mtbchick steph said:
can a chick get in on your tuesday shuttles?? come on... i can hang!
everyone is welcome. we had a "chick" last tuesday. these shuttle rides are not necessarily super gonzo dh runs. just a good way to get up to the good riding after work, but how, what, where, and with whom you ride when the shuttle drops you off is up to you.

"is high drive open yet????????????" yes

sk8kid33

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Colorado Springs
they didn't when I was in there. on tuesday, that sucks we didn't jump yesterday I just didn't feel like going to the step to hit like 4 jumps that aren't even fun. maybe when I get better

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
sk8kid33 said:
they didn't when I was in there. on tuesday, that sucks we didn't jump yesterday I just didn't feel like going to the step to hit like 4 jumps that aren't even fun. maybe when I get better
Sorry I didn't call ya back Jose. I ended up having to leave and go home at like 5ish anyways...
As soon as I hungup Doug was like "HA there's like 15 jumps at the step"

dwj

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
colorado
sk8kid33 said:
aren't fun? what are you guys smoking? the big six pack is running. although the jump over the berm looks a little sketchy. the step is hitting with the super cool new set-up jump. the three jumps in the back are jumpable as well as the three jumps next to the creek. then you've got the transfers from the big line into the small set by the creek or the transfer from the big set into the step.

it aint no arbor but it's the best we've got until we get dragon man's running.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
okay guys, sorry to hijack this thread (tho I did start it...) but what bikes do you guys have? You may have seen my thread in the DH forum about a new frame, which I will be getting for a graduation present. I've narrowed it down to:

Santa Cruz VP-Free
Rocky Mountain RMX
Iron Horse Sunday
Cannondale Gemini

I think it's between the VP and the RMX right now, because from what I've seen here, there's more freeride stuff than straight DH. I would like your two cents, though, because you know most of the kind of stuff I will be riding.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, do you have any more pics of the trails or any riding there? The one's on MTBR got me really excited!

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
PooMan said:
okay guys, sorry to hijack this thread (tho I did start it...) but what bikes do you guys have? You may have seen my thread in the DH forum about a new frame, which I will be getting for a graduation present. I've narrowed it down to:

Santa Cruz VP-Free
Rocky Mountain RMX
Iron Horse Sunday
Cannondale Gemini

I think it's between the VP and the RMX right now, because from what I've seen here, there's more freeride stuff than straight DH. I would like your two cents, though, because you know most of the kind of stuff I will be riding.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, do you have any more pics of the trails or any riding there? The one's on MTBR got me really excited!
I have...

Santa Cruz V-10
Giant AC1
Soul Cycles Titan.
:D

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO

Santa Cruz VP-Free
Rocky Mountain RMX
Iron Horse Sunday
Cannondale Gemini

Yeti ASX. You won't regret it I can promise you. Best, most versatile bike around!!!! Oops that one wasn't on the list now was it... my bad! :)

dwj

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
colorado
COmtbiker12 said:
Dragon man's? Mind PMing/explaining details doug?
dj's of every shape and size. various rails and wall rides. a couple of dirt mini bowls with jumps gapping over the top. a mx course with a seperate pro/expert section. pump track of course(they are all the rage now). a foam pit. and anything else we can dream up along the way.

gmoney80

Chimp
Jul 8, 2004
colorado springs, co
When You Come To The Springs Check Out My Shop The Colorado Cyclist We Have Vp-frees, V10's, Blur 4x's, 5-spots And Soon To Come Lt's All That Are In Stock. We Also Carry Troy Lee And Six Six One If You Are Interested We Have Fox 40's 36's Pikes And Minutes All In Stock Also

Sammo329

Chimp
Jul 5, 2005
Welcome to CC dude. I'm going to be a sophomore this year, its always nice to see some bikers around school. I actually ride more trials and street around campus, but there are also some good trails around. There are town owned jumps a few miles from campus, but they arent very good, relatively big but not well maintained. There are also just random jump spots all over, that I have heard of but I have yet to visit. No lifts during the school year really, at least that I know of, cuz sept-may is the school year and oct-may is ski season. Luckily, CO Springs gets very little snow...now your coming from AZ so i can't imagine that being so amazing to you, but I'm from boston, and when winter rolls around biking is more or less out of the question for about 4 months. The Springs get fairly cold in the winter but rarely get so snowy or wet that you can't ride. Anyway usually the way to do it is to find a buddy or two with a car (that can be tricky) and shuttle yourselves. My personal fav. bike shop is Old Town bike shop, just cuz its within riding distance of CC down tejon st. and the people are nice. In terms of selection and stuff, they're prolly not the best. Anyway if you see a kid riding around campus on a black Planet X hardtail next year, introduce yourself. My names Sam, I don't have a DH bike myself (i wish i did) but I know some guys you can ride with.

Sammo329

Chimp
Jul 5, 2005
Heh, good idea....plus if security notices its ok cuz a bike can go faster than the security go-carts can drive. Webb, do you go to CC?

webb

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
echo park
Sammo329 said:
Heh, good idea....plus if security notices its ok cuz a bike can go faster than the security go-carts can drive. Webb, do you go to CC?
I did, graduated in '99. we used to be able to out run marty in his cart on foot. but when they'd try to bust us for mtb polo behind kappa sig, we'd just disappear.

my cc buddies are still my closest. it was a damn good time. lived in 724 wasatch my senior year, was on a first name basis with most of cspd. enjoy it.

Feb 26, 2004
Colorado Springs
pooman, give me a call at 719-964-2934 once school starts. We don't have to many DH riders at CC, but the few of us that there are are real tight and we can show you a good time for sure.

Oh yeah. Hi Sam.