Quantcast

DH @ Jiminy

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
headed out on sat for a full day's riding w/ some friends and DH-newbies. i hadn't been to the mountain when the top lift was going, and that's a ton quicker than the alpine slide. great day of riding, and hit a bunch of stuff i hadn't done before (including an ATV trail down the backside of the mountain, which necessitated a ~2-3 mile road climb back to the base area... :monkey: ). it was fun to see the xc guys have fun on the big bikes and tackle stuff they normally wouldn't even think of. and, the new bikercross setup was a lot of fun too, even though i can't jump for crap (luckily they were all tables, aside from a really small double).

here are a couple of pics, courtesy of stork and slapheadmofo:

telemark, on slaphead's old stab:

fellow DH-neophyte Nick getting some air off the log:

nick, seconds after we yelled "get behind the bike" on a really steep descent:

vid still of me off the ladder drop:

wondering where all my travel went:

stork on the same drop (he was ripping up everything w/ just a 5" z1 :eek: )

no injuries, but my bike took a beating. on the 2nd run my left pedal outboard bearing died and the platform fell off. the rest of the run down felt like i was using a teflon ballpoint pen as a pedal. then my rear brake started making all kinds of noise, but i kept ignoring it, as i knew i left my spare brake pads at home. well, on the very last run, i did a slight brake check going into a hip jump. lever to the bar, no brake, fluid everywhere. i checked out the carnage yesterday and found my caliper destroyed:

oh well, it was fun while it lasted! :dancing:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, it's as big anything i've done to date i would guess. probably about 8' or so, and the tranny could be a bit steeper. i certainly felt the landing; under compression, the rear tire hit the underside of the saddle and ripped the plastic piece off.

jiminy's got some cool terrain; i like that steep rocky roller which dumps you out kinda near the top of the lower lift.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
narlus said:
i like that steep rocky roller which dumps you out kinda near the top of the lower lift.
haven't stepped up to get that one yet, but it is high on the list. I think I psyched myself out by staring at it too much.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, it's definitely not as scary as it looks. just point and shoot; you don't even have to throw the front end out at all. and that rock drop at the bottom is a nice bonus.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
narlus said:
yeah, it's as big anything i've done to date i would guess. probably about 8' or so, and the tranny could be a bit steeper. i certainly felt the landing; under compression, the rear tire hit the underside of the saddle and ripped the plastic piece off.
Part of the reason I avoided it when I was there. Seemed like if you lauched out to far, you were almost landing to flat. Almost better off just rolling off it.

Any pics of the steep, rocky roller you speak of? :sneaky:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i don't have any. to get to it, you take the top chair and bomb the fire road until you see the trail you can hook into the woods, on yr left (there's an earlier entry across what looks to be a freshly graded dirt road, and you ride down the loose shoulder into the trail. it's easy to miss. otherwise, just keep going and you will eventually see the trail. go into the trail, and stay to the left; the easy way is to the right. i think there's a healthy rock drop you can take as well if you want. after the steep roller, you can hit the 3-4' rock slab drop, and then do another small launch off a fallen tree/rootball mound. this puts you at the same spot as if you just came off the slower, lower lift and headed straight into the woods.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
narlus said:
To get to it, you take the top chair and bomb the fire road until you see the trail you can hook into the woods, on yr left (there's an earlier entry across what looks to be a freshly graded dirt road, and you ride down the loose shoulder into the trail. it's easy to miss. otherwise, just keep going and you will eventually see the trail. go into the trail, and stay to the left; the easy way is to the right. i think there's a healthy rock drop you can take as well if you want. after the steep roller, you can hit the 3-4' rock slab drop, and then do another small launch off a fallen tree/rootball mound. this puts you at the same spot as if you just came off the slower, lower lift and headed straight into the woods.
Nice. Thanks! :thumb: