Quantcast

DH Mud/Slop/Loose Tires

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Title pretty much says it all. What does everyone run when the trail turns into muddy slop or extremely loose and loamy. I've heard people like the maxxis wet screams and swamp things. Have heard good things about the scwable muddy marys. What do you guys run?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Michelin Mud3 are hard to beat in such conditions. However, they are super scary on hard surfaces (I've had a particularly bad experience on a wood bridge once).

I don't know what will be the equivalent of the Mud3in the 2010 Michelin line-up...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wet screams are more for when its super duper sloppy conditions, loose debris - think chunks of mud and sod, grass, and very little rocky terrain. swamp things are better when its just wet and muddy, and when there is more exposed rock terrain.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Wetscreams ftw in proper deep mud, for good allroundness swampthings have worked really good atleast for me.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Agreed spikes are where its at but theyll fold and slip on anything hard making it really intresting.
The MMs work well but in the nasty slop and if thats predominently what it is and not alot of off camber rocks/roots that you cant carry speed over then Id say SPIKES for sure.
Nothings going to dig and grip like a thinner spike ie 2.25 - 2.35 any bigger and it becomes less effective.

Theres black shark muds by schwalbe as well as the new dirty dan, theres the Intense Mud, the ones you mentioned wet scream, swamp thing and I know mich had a pretty aggressive tire.

So if its not rooty, rocky slow a fair bit then spikes if it is then either intermediate or change your style and attack angle on the hard stuff you should be fine.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i have a pair of wet screams sitting around (scooped them when they were hard to get) but havent run them yet...I think they would give you trouble if it was rocky...

I agree with the swamp thing comment...those are good tires for riding in garbage mud when it is technical.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
wetscreams are bomb! i road blue mt. the last day it was open with my wetscreams and it was amazing, way to much fun on a bike to be legal. that place has a good amount of rock and i was fine.

blue mt. is loose, loamy, rooty, rocky, off camber/steep sections. bascially mini WC course. simply amazing.

i would go with wetscreams for sure.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
Specialized Storm ftw. Very similar to the wet scream with a different compund and nureled (<spelling?) tred patern on the end of the spikes giving better grip on rocks. The spikes are also stepped adding a little suport keeping them from folding so easily. The steps can also be uesed as a guide when cutting them down. That way you get a nice uniform tred block around the tire. If im not mistaken the same guy who designed the wetsceam has taken what was good and bad from them and designed the Storm. This one is well thought out. :thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Specialized Storm ftw. Very similar to the wet scream with a different compund and nureled (<spelling?) tred patern on the end of the spikes giving better grip on rocks. The spikes are also stepped adding a little suport keeping them from folding so easily. The steps can also be uesed as a guide when cutting them down. That way you get a nice uniform tred block around the tire. If im not mistaken the same guy who designed the wetsceam has taken what was good and bad from them and designed the Storm. This one is well thought out. :thumb:
I believe the spelling is "knurled". And I've heard good things about s'peds new tires.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I believe the spelling is "knurled". And I've heard good things about s'peds new tires.
I have had the pleasure of oggling my buddies bikes here decked out with them and they are the real deal. Maybe profro can state it clearer in regards to the Specialized/Maxxis guy's exact influence, but to keep it simple, a former Maxxis design guy does work for Specialized doing tire stuff, so the knowledge and influences are intertwined for sure. DFerg would have to give you the brass tacks of it.:thumb:

LambMan

Chimp
Jul 13, 2009
ATL
I rode the Specialized Clutch all year and it's probably my favorite tire I've ever had. I'm definitely planning on picking up a pair of Storms for this year Too bad they're so damn expensive.

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
i never really ran mud tires bc i never wanted to drop the cash for a set of tires to only run in the mud. after racing last season in new england that time has come.

FYI jenson has Maxxis Swamp Things 2.5 super tackys on sale for $20. killer deal.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I was thinking of trying the Conti Rain Kings. IDK if they'll be good but the 2.4 Rubber Queens were good enough for me to try a set of Der Kaisers and Rain Kings for DH.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hutchinson Octopuss 2.3's

claw through slop & chop - even decent in outright flowing conditions, but spike 2.2's are where its at when its pure slop and flow.

Mich comp 16's also do a fair job in 2.2 for the same.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Just got myself a set of the Maxxis Swamp things for $20 a pair! You can't beat a deal like that and I am yet to hear ****ty reviews about them!

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Kenda KOT's

I've been very happy w/ the KOT's when it's full on nasty. The profile is very square, giving them an 'edge' that really helps in very soft conditions. That same square profile rules them out, especially up front, when on harder packer trails. These are not the mud tires to leave on your rims for a week or two due to lazyness after things dry out. I've used Wet Screams and Swampthings, for the mud I see, the KOT's are better.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Just got myself a set of the Maxxis Swamp things for $20 a pair! You can't beat a deal like that and I am yet to hear ****ty reviews about them!
I couldn't pass up that deal either. I know their not a full spike but most of the trails around here are pretty rooty and rocky so i figured a full spike wouldn't be as a good.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hutchinson Octopuss 2.3's

claw through slop & chop - even decent in outright flowing conditions, but spike 2.2's are where its at when its pure slop and flow.

Mich comp 16's also do a fair job in 2.2 for the same.
While it's my fav, I'd not recommend the 2.2 Comp 16 for goop at all. It's much more a speed and intermediate to dry tire. The Comp 16 2.5 is the Snowshoe slayer. I'm gonna hate trying to remember the new names.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
I couldn't pass up that deal either. I know their not a full spike but most of the trails around here are pretty rooty and rocky so i figured a full spike wouldn't be as a good.
Same here, way to rocky for a full on spike here. The trails although soft after the recent snowpack and heavy rain aren't pure goop.