Quantcast

DH Nationals - Happening this weekend...or did you know?

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Timing of practice runs and races suck. Looks like the best chance to get practice rides in is on Thursday. Then maybe 1 run a day after that. I'll either pass completely or race it without ever ridden the track once. I'll probably head up there for the other race weekends which work better with my work schedule and can get more riding in.

Have fun everyone!

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Even if you are lazy about it, it's extremely easy to get in 3 runs/hour.

I'm pretty pumped. Heading out of town tomorrow morning...got a new set of spikes (JIC) and feel like I got the bike pretty dialed. If I don't do well this week only my skills will be to blame.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Timing of practice runs and races suck. Looks like the best chance to get practice rides in is on Thursday. Then maybe 1 run a day after that. I'll either pass completely or race it without ever ridden the track once. I'll probably head up there for the other race weekends which work better with my work schedule and can get more riding in.

Have fun everyone!
I offer my services freely. Warmest regards...

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I REALLY wanted to go. Planned all winter/spring for it; but between airfare from WA, car rental and lodging, I just couldn't swing it :(.

Looking forward to it going to Angel Fire next year. That I can drive to and AF's been on my bucket list anyway.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If anyone wants to get in a titanic load of riding and shuttling while you're in town, you have no idea how close all the other stuff is. Sugar Mtn is 10 minutes down the hill and that trail is great. Lots of shuttling in the forest down the rode. Big swimming holes all over, Blue Ridge Parkway, Grandfather Mtn.

It's a ridiculous place to have tons of fun.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I think I can wedge a DH bike into the car for some shuttles on Monday.

Would there be any interest in 2.2" Super Tacky Wetscreams?

One of my favorite local shops has a bunch and I'd love to help them out.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
If anyone wants to get in a titanic load of riding and shuttling while you're in town, you have no idea how close all the other stuff is. Sugar Mtn is 10 minutes down the hill and that trail is great. Lots of shuttling in the forest down the rode. Big swimming holes all over, Blue Ridge Parkway, Grandfather Mtn.

It's a ridiculous place to have tons of fun.
Don't the 2.2's measure out close to 1.75? :rofl:

I put a pair on once for a snow race and they looked ridiculously small!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Not that it matters much coming from someone as slow as me, but I ran the 2.2 Screams last year at Nats and they were fine. I didn't detect any noticeable knob squirming (<-- awesome wording) and some claim the smaller width variety cut through hub deep mud better, but who knows. I did recently cut down the center knobs on my rear one in an alcohol fueled attempt to create a Hill Billy without actually paying for one, so we'll see how that works out :hmm:

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
Sorry for the never raced DH in the mud and only third DH race ever this weekend at Nats, but when is it appropriate to cut down spikes? I have a new set of Storms......

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If you get a lot of squirm, then cut them down. Best all-around option for any spike is a cut down one. Probably more uses than a full version.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
As someone who sucks at mud racing, take this with a grain a bath salt, but my feeling is your really don't need super tall center knobs unless you're spending a lot of time in sloppy grassy areas. To me, the main benefit of mud spikes is cornering, and a lot of people claim tall center knobs are to squirmy on big rock sections. Thats why I think the Spesh Hill Billy is the way the forward.

Yes, I realize I just got sniped by Profro, but I want to feel like I've added something to the conversation.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
However I will say this... Back when Specialized was developing the Storm we took some early protos out to Windrock in the rain and did back to back comparisons with the Wetscream down the Windill trail I was super impressed with the Specialized Storm in the rocks.

For example back when Snowshoe's trails were newer a full spike was awesome. However as the trails got more and more hard packed over the years a full spike was just too squirm on hard packed dirt. So I stopped running full length spikes and started to run cut down versions.

Again, a cut down is almost a can't miss whereas a full spike could be.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Continental Mud Kings are the Sh!t!! I have been running them the past 2 race seasons in the South East and feel they Top the Old Michelin DH Mud 3. Good luck to all this weekend and wish I was healed up to race. Sucks I will miss the last National in the south East for a long time.

Cecil