Quantcast

DH Noob, single speed downhill bike?

Backyard

Chimp
Sep 27, 2010
Hey guys, I currently ride a Kona one20 deluxe on XC trails and try to do drops and have fun like that on it, I also have a dirt jumping bike, but I have always wanted to do DH. My friend finally let me borrow one of his 3 DH bikes and I fell in love with DH. I want to build my own bike but am wondering what to do for gearing. I don't really remember how much I used my pedals but I don't think I used them too much, if I found a good single gear would a single speed work? Or maybe a 2 or 3 gear bike? Say 1 gear for flats, 1 gear for starting off, and 1 gear for gaining speed on a hill? I am a total noob to DH so any help would be appreciated :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you can certainly run single speed, but you'll need a tensioner and guides unless the bike is of a certain design. I'd suggest just grabbing the cheapest derailleur you can and slapping it on there, so long as a few gears work.

SS DH is a great way to go, but only for freeriding. Appropriate gear ratios really come in handy for accelerating out of turns and such.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
A few of us have been running SS setups for over a year now, and they've been basically flawless. They spin out on fire roads, but around a 38/18 or 36/17 gearing is great for general DH singletrack stuff. The few hundred dollars a year less I spend on derailleurs and the fact that I basically never tag anything with the back end of the bike makes it very worth it.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
A few of us have been running SS setups for over a year now, and they've been basically flawless. They spin out on fire roads, but around a 38/18 or 36/17 gearing is great for general DH singletrack stuff. The few hundred dollars a year less I spend on derailleurs and the fact that I basically never tag anything with the back end of the bike makes it very worth it.
Agreed. I generally run 36-18 for general shuttle stuff around here. Trails are pretty flat with the occasional annoying brief awkward climb. At northstar last weekend I upped it to a 36-16. Could've probably done 36-15 or 36-14 for some of those jumpier, faster trails. I have a lot of other more important shortcomings than to worry about my lack of gears holding me back.