Quantcast

DH power training

I remember a while back MMike and Acadian were talking about employing plyometrics into their training. I did a search, found the thread, but they never talked if it helped their perfomance or if they stuck with them.
My technical skills are fine, but I wanted to increase my sprinting power for next season. I'm training with weights twice a week, but was looking into trying a plyometric routine. Does anyone know of a good source of information on them, like a book, or website?

zibbler

Monkey
You should just be able to do an internet search and find plenty of info on it. Try amazon.com as far as books go. I know Brian Lopes uses plyometrics and swears it gives him more power. He's obviously doing something right.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Plyometric's is a proven way to improve raw speed and power. Box jumps are exceptional. Another thing to do is wind sprints. It is proven to naturally increase testosterone and thereby increase lean muscle.

Another way is to do a powerlifting routine. Not weight lifting but actual power moves. Clean and jerk. Clean and press. Deadlift. If you are looking for raw power don't focus on muscle groups but your whole body or large areas of muscle. (especially legs and back)

BigRichDL

Chimp
Sep 5, 2001
Washington, DC
Originally posted by RatFarmer
I remember a while back MMike and Acadian were talking about employing plyometrics into their training. I did a search, found the thread, but they never talked if it helped their perfomance or if they stuck with them.
My technical skills are fine, but I wanted to increase my sprinting power for next season. I'm training with weights twice a week, but was looking into trying a plyometric routine. Does anyone know of a good source of information on them, like a book, or website?
You should lift at least 3 times a week. I was told by the trainer at my gym that you need to lift 3 times a week to notice a difference. I lift 4-5 times a week for 30-50 minutes. I run sprints or jog or do plyometrics the rest of the time. I only did the plyo stuff during the offseason, tho.

I ended up losing 25 lbs. Losing 4 inches in the waist, 2 in the neck and adding a large amount of arm mass, and chest mass. So that was cool, and my upper body was so much stronger that I could horse myself out of hairy situations better.

I'm gonna add road biking this offseason for overall cardio/pedalling improvement.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by BigRichDL

You should lift at least 3 times a week. I was told by the trainer at my gym that you need to lift 3 times a week to notice a difference. I lift 4-5 times a week for 30-50 minutes. I run sprints or jog or do plyometrics the rest of the time. I only did the plyo stuff during the offseason, tho.

I ended up losing 25 lbs. Losing 4 inches in the waist, 2 in the neck and adding a large amount of arm mass, and chest mass. So that was cool, and my upper body was so much stronger that I could horse myself out of hairy situations better.

I'm gonna add road biking this offseason for overall cardio/pedalling improvement.
Hey rich... So does eh suggest doing different muscle groups every time though? If so, what about doing a longer lifting session (1.5 hrs) and hitting all groups, but only 2 times a week?

BigRichDL

Chimp
Sep 5, 2001
Washington, DC
Originally posted by -BB-

Hey rich... So does eh suggest doing different muscle groups every time though? If so, what about doing a longer lifting session (1.5 hrs) and hitting all groups, but only 2 times a week?

He suggested lifting opposing muscle groups at the same time, like biceps and triceps, back and chest, etc. I think the 3 times a week thing is so there isnt too much recovery time in between. i think its better to lift more often in shorter increments.

What I suggest is that if you can only lift twice a week. Then add other exercises that you can do at home on the other days. Pushups are great. I do 50(2 sets of 25) pushups every night before bed. I change my hand placement every night. Sometimes the hands are way toward the middle, sometimes way out side the frame of my chest. Those help big time with control of the bike(except during race runs evidentally!hehe). Another good at home exercise are dips off the edge of a chair. You slide off the edge on the chair and lower yourself down with your legs straight and your heels on the ground. This is good also.

My dad is 52 and he does 25 pushups, 25 pullups, and 50 sits up every morning. He still has GUNS for biceps. His frame is more lithe (basketball player body) as opposed to mine(football player body) but I'd bet his arms are still at least as big as mine and he still has a 6 pack too. I have no six pack, more like a pony keg. haha.

Peace,
Rich

Email back with any questions. One of my close freinds is into bodybuilding and knows ALL about nutrition(like 85% of building muscle or losing or gaining weight) etc. I have him on IM and can ask him questions for you.

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
i know how i got stronger.. I got a job at UPS. :rolleyes:

...and with that came back problems. SOO I began to go to a chiropractor. he is in to body building/lifting (he;s about your size rich) and he wants me to start plyo this off-season. when i get the info i will let you know.